Arrakis.py map script discussion

I would like some help in understanding the blends. I added the vanilla grass and plains; as you can see from my screenshot there is no blending at all. The edges are hard. How is this controlled in the civ4artdefines_terrain? If there is a faq/tutorial, please let me know.

Maybe the FFH folks know, I have started this thread.

EDIT: Deliverator has pointed out the answer. In TerrainInfos, make sure that each terrain has a unique LayerNumber. By copying vanilla grass and renaming it, I had the same layer number twice, and this prevents blending. So this is solved.

I just ran home for lunch to try 1.3 and it doesn't seem to have the new terrain art that Deliverator mentioned. And the polar terrain is not there yet.

His actual comment was, "get around to it ... along with the zillions of other things I have to do". Koma13 has recolored some of the vanilla terrains two months back, but I am not aware of any new terrain art available.

His actual comment was, "get around to it ... along with the zillions of other things I have to do". Koma13 has recolored some of the vanilla terrains two months back, but I am not aware of any new terrain art available.

Ok, in any case, there's a new version up that is ready for comments. I can do more when the polar terrain comes in.

I just ran home for lunch to try 1.3 and it doesn't seem to have the new terrain art that Deliverator mentioned. And the polar terrain is not there yet.

I'll try and look into this on the weekend. I'm going to de-redden the mountains too.

OK, I don't want to be the one holding up mapscript development so here is a patch over 1.3 with the polar terrain. I've just adapted the Colonization tundra for the purpose. I've also recoloured the peaks to make them less red.

Spoiler :

I've made the grid overlay, but for some reason I don't understand switching on grids crashes the game. There's nothing wrong with file location or anything I can see in the XML. Koma may be able to help with that as he did a lot of the original terrain textures.

Download Link

OK, I don't want to be the one holding up mapscript development so here is a patch over 1.3 with the polar terrain. I've just adapted the Colonization tundra for the purpose. I've also recoloured the peaks to make them less red.

Spoiler :

I've made the grid overlay, but for some reason I don't understand switching on grids crashes the game. There's nothing wrong with file location or anything I can see in the XML. Koma may be able to help with that as he did a lot of the original terrain textures.

Download Link

Screenshots look great. I'll work on it over the weekend.

I want a land terrain called 'deep desert' that has the same bonuses as the 'ocean' deep desert.

I want a land terrain for polar ice, something that looks alot like deep desert but with ice in it. Make it look like it used to be deep desert but more wet or frozen. I'm thinking I might create some dunes at the pole of this terrain, since I can't really make a 'sink' at this time. This will be the juicy stuff that everyone wants access to.

Having re-read your wishlist and run the latest script, I now see why you want the first of these two things. If you keep using the desert terrain as you are doing, we can just change BonusInfos so that no bonuses are placed on the 'dunes'. We can also make the texture match the deep desert texture more closely. Edit: Actually you're way is better we should create a new land terrain for deep desert.
Spoiler :

Looking at the new version, I'd like the ring to be a bit more broken up and archipelago like, but that's probably because I'm used to the Archipelago mapscript for this mod. Could you perhaps make the broken-up-ness a menu option for the script? Or a parameter that can be tweaked in the code?
Spoiler :

I've also recoloured the peaks to make them less red.
Since you're working on the terrain right now, do you think the rugged terrain could need a bit of an overhaul? I'm thinking it could be a bit brighter and less saturated and given a very slight bluish tint - making it look more like granite than brownish mud?

Otherwise I'll take a stab at it after I finish the early city set (I've made it to eight different kinds of caves now... I feel weird, and it's terrible to texture them, because I can only use a single texture for city sets... - but I'll get them done, no worries).

Cheers, LT.

I might leave the rugged terrain to you. I seem to have a lot of odd jobs to do on this mod at the moment so I'm doing a little bit of everything.

I'd really like to get that Ornithopter sorted - If you want I can send you the blender file - it's still at 6000 polys and a bit of a mess...

I'd really like to get that Ornithopter sorted - If you want I can send you the blender file - it's still at 6000 polys and a bit of a mess...
Sure, but don't expect anything too soon - stuff is piling up on my list... but you seem to experience the same! :lol:

Cheers, LT.

Looking at the new version, I'd like the ring to be a bit more broken up and archipelago like, but that's probably because I'm used to the Archipelago mapscript for this mod. Could you perhaps make the broken-up-ness a menu option for the script? Or a parameter that can be tweaked in the code?

Yes, please keep it as Archipelago-like as possible. I optimized early units for that map script type. On current version of Arrakis.py map script, ai would rarely use transporters.

Yes, please keep it as Archipelago-like as possible. I optimized early units for that map script type. On current version of Arrakis.py map script, ai would rarely use transporters.

This latest version has some adjustment for that, but there's a bunch of interplay between the variables involved. I might have to make some in-game options for that.

Ok, thank you. The problem with transporter is that ai will only use it for assault if regular units can't reach the target city. Hence we have to make sure there are some gaps (-> ocean) inbetween.

koma, at some point, could you take a look and see why my polar terrain is crashing when you turn on grids? I can't figure it out. There is a patch over 1.3 with it here.

That grid is pain to do. You have to use the grid terrain for tundra (from C4C) and colorize it the same way you have done the normal tundra terrain. Also make sure you save it the same way as the blend terrain.

I looked into your files and tundra seems to be ok. But are your sure the reason for CTD is tundra terrain and not the new mountains (you didn't include grid for it)?

Well I thought it would just use the peak grid from the PAK art. I'll see if putting the peak grids in the folder fixes the problem.

I do not think you are seeing any effect due to the game python (DuneWars.py) or due to any mapscript change either. I think what you are seeing is the effect of Deliverator's new terrains. Please try removing the new polar terrain from terraininfos. Does that fix the problem?

I do not think you are seeing any effect due to the game python (DuneWars.py) or due to any mapscript change either. I think what you are seeing is the effect of Deliverator's new terrains.

I noticed that too. I also think that the new polar terrain is looking like salt and the salt feature is looking like ice. :crazyeye: Maybe we can exchange that?

New version up with the new polar terrain! What does it mean? I dunno!

If someone can change the bonusInfos to exclude DESERT_TERRAIN, this thing will be very close to what I intended, and ready for full playtesting. The shield wall is a little weak, but ultimately that's mostly cosmetic.

EDIT: Gah, I forgot to add the salt flats. Actually, I haven't given any thoughts to how they should be placed. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom