ArtDefine files for Standard Units (inc DLC)

It sounds like the same problem I had with the WH40K models -- there's no way to dynamically add new effects, aside from writing them into the core effects files yourself.

I was wondering, though... could they get loaded in via DLC? I know the G&K expansion added new effects to the game, so if the game can load in effects from the G&K DLC, could it do so from other DLCs?

So, I'm assuming the coding needed for units to use two different models - like how great people change appearance based on era - depends on the art defines... so why don't any of the art defines for great people in this pack have an example of how to do it? :( Is the knowledge on how to do that just not bestowed upon modders by Firaxis?

If the examples aren't in the code (which I could have sworn they were), you'll need to use SQLite Manager or something of the sort to view the Civ5DebugDatabase.db, and navigate to the ArtDefines tables. There are tables for icon and art changes by era (great people, workers) and by civilization (settlers).

The trick is easy.

If UnitArtInfoEraVariation is true in the Units table for the given unit, then the game automatically attempts to append the UnitArtInfo entry with an appropriate suffix for the given era. The suffix could be the name of an Era from the Eras table (e.g., _POSTMODERN) or for compatibility reasons it could be _LATE (an alias for _INDUSTRIAL, I think). You could have a different art define for every era, if you wanted. Note you can also change the unit flag and portrait icon from the defaults in the Units table using the new columns added for that purpose in the ArtDefine_UnitInfos table (UnitFlagAtlas/UnitFlagIconOffset and IconAtlas/PortraitIndex).

Note this is used similarly for UnitArtInfoCulturalVariation (unfortunately you can only use one or the other, Era or Cultural, not both). The suffix in that case is derived from ArtStyleSuffix from the Civilizations or MinorCivilizations table. [EDIT: R.E.D. Modpack and Ethnic Units modifies the ArtStyleSuffix's to be the name of the Civilization rather than the name of the Cultural group in order to make finer grain choices.]

Top Bottom