Artillery can attack subs?

A likely explanation:
I own a rifled black powder musket (Replica Springfield 1855). I can reload it, depending on conditions, in 30-40 seconds - not minutes. I would not advise standing 5 meters away and expect to have the ball not penetrate cloth. I can hit a man-sized target on a good day out to 500 yards. The Napoleonic wars were a mixture of modern weapons (Muskets and field pieces) mixed with the tactic of rigid troop formations that were a leftover from the days of fighting strictly with edged weapons. Field commanders on both sides quickly realized that the only way to avoid being cut to pieces at range was to fire the muskets and then charge with fixed bayonets. That tactic, along with aggressive skirmishing, became the norm for a long time. Depending on the distance between troop formations, everyone got off one volley and then it was the bayonet charge and hand-to-hand combat.
For a look at the other side of musket fighting, Google the Battle of Four Lakes.

Planes being taken down by ancient units is a lot more difficult to conceptualize, although you could view it as pilot error. I mean, we DID lose more planes to pilot error even as recently as the Vietnam war than we did to enemy fire. The fact that knights huck firebombs up at the planes though makes that hard to suspend belief on though.

If this is happening too often for any one, then it is time to move to the next difficulty level. It just means you are too far ahead of the AI.

I have no problem with artillery and subs. Subs should not be that close to the shore. It means they are on the coast and more than likely not submerged. You could make it more realistic if in the unit file you could change the range against sea units to 2 instead of defaulting to 3.

I own a rifled black powder musket (Replica Springfield 1855). I can reload it, depending on conditions, in 30-40 seconds - not minutes. I would not advise standing 5 meters away and expect to have the ball not penetrate cloth. I can hit a man-sized target on a good day out to 500 yards. The Napoleonic wars were a mixture of modern weapons (Muskets and field pieces) mixed with the tactic of rigid troop formations that were a leftover from the days of fighting strictly with edged weapons. Field commanders on both sides quickly realized that the only way to avoid being cut to pieces at range was to fire the muskets and then charge with fixed bayonets. That tactic, along with aggressive skirmishing, became the norm for a long time. Depending on the distance between troop formations, everyone got off one volley and then it was the bayonet charge and hand-to-hand combat.
For a look at the other side of musket fighting, Google the Battle of Four Lakes.

I like how not only did you miss the joke entirely, you then went off on a huge bender about the accuracy of muskets, based on a rifle you own.

I like how not only did you miss the joke entirely, you then went off on a huge bender about the accuracy of muskets, based on a rifle you own.

I'm an amateur historian, I do that sometimes. :crazyeye: There's a difference between a rifle and a rifled musket but I''ve already had my bender for the day so I won't explain it.

I'm an amateur historian, I do that sometimes. :crazyeye: There's a difference between a rifle and a rifled musket but I''ve already had my bender for the day so I won't explain it.

A "rifled musket" is not smooth bore, which is why you have better accuracy, and the projectile has more potential for penetration because of spin. You can load that particular weapon faster because it has a Maynard tape primer system.

edit: Also this type of weapon was not commonplace in Napoleonic wars. Altho the concept of rifling existed some 250 years prior, very few standard production muskets were rifled. Your weapon was more popular during the American Civil War, or by buffalo hunters in the American wild west.

A "rifled musket" is not smooth bore, which is why you have better accuracy, and the projectile has more potential for penetration because of spin. You can load that particular weapon faster because it has a Maynard tape primer system.

edit: Also this type of weapon was not commonplace in Napoleonic wars. Altho the concept of rifling existed some 250 years prior, very few standard production muskets were rifled. Your weapon was more popular during the American Civil War, or by buffalo hunters in the American wild west.

Yep! :)

I didn't know this game was a realism simulation.

LOL! I wonder if it is a common sense simulation! Perhaps since most people don't live in fantasy land, maybe it should be.

LOL! I wonder if it is a common sense simulation! Perhaps since most people don't live in fantasy land, maybe it should be.

A common sense simulator would be quite a thing to behold, especially for a computer.

It's sort of silly to start worrying about realism or common sense with regards to how much damage an archer unit would do to a giant death robot, but suspend it with regards to the continued existence of that archer unit after 5000 years.

A common sense simulator would be quite a thing to behold, especially for a computer.

It's sort of silly to start worrying about realism or common sense with regards to how much damage an archer unit would do to a giant death robot, but suspend it with regards to the continued existence of that archer unit after 5000 years.

All I can hope is that my immortal archers have plenty of promotions by the time they meet a death robot late in the game. My boys will kick the hell out of it! :lol:

I didn't know this game was a realism simulation.

No but it should be intuitive wherever that doesn't hurt the game balance (aka fun). Artillery being able to attack subs just because they know where they are underwater is not intuitive and (arguably) makes subs not worth the hammers it takes to build them.

Top Bottom