Arturus Thorne, Tasunke & Mahala

Chalid is the person that needs backstory and/or explanation the most IMO. I want to know more about the one man wrecking crew of enlightenment and wisdom.

All we have so far is an obscure spell entry that makes him out to be some geeky bookworm type.

I'd actually like to know more about Mahala and how she fits in with the Doviello society. If you think about it, the Doviellos seem like they would be dominated by the men while the women made food for the soldiers and made garments of fur. Could the Magister or any other knowledgeable people give me some information on her? Possibly some canon lore that I've missed? It'd be greatly appreciated.

The Doviello are actually the most egalitarian of all the civs. Of course, this means that there is no chivalry in Doveillo society, and that women must prove themselves just as tough as the men. While women often fill roles more related to reconnaissance and gathering food instead of melee fighting and hunting, this is very fluid. Anyone can challenge anyone else for a position at just about any time. Women are no exception. While men may still be physically larger and more muscular, women can still be quite tough, more agile, and very dangerous, especially when their children are at risk.

I believe Doviello society is led by both an Alpha Male and an Alpha Female, much like a wolf pack. Anyone can rise to the position though strength of will and physical might, at great risk. Mahala relies much more on cunning than most Doviello, but she is still very physically fit. Although normally the Alphas would be (probably non-exclusive) mates, Mahala strongly dislikes Charadon, whom the Shamen resurrected to lead them again in time of trouble. She does not think that was necessary or a good idea, and she always fights off his advances. .

Well, why did the shamans believe they needed to bring back Charadon even though they had failed them once before? It doesn't make much sense. But I digress, I'm still curious about Mahala's upbringing, her training, and the way she came to lead the Doviellos. Mahala has to be possibly one of the most interesting leaders that I know very little about.

There actually two other Doviello characters that caught my attention. Lugh the Wolf and Lucian. Lugh the Wolf is given very little information so if you have any stored in the encyclopedia of your mind, I'd love to read it. As for Lucian, the most I know of him is that he's one of Charadon's favorite warriors that follows Mahala if you choose to play as her. If you have any information about him, too, that would be great.

Also, thank you for all the information you've given me over the past few days. I'm an information hoarder and Erebus has so much lore that I want to learn about.

Charadon hadn't failed; he was the longest servng leader in Doviello history, able to fend off all challengers almost long enough to die of old age. I'd guess he probably did fall to a challenger eventually but it is no dishonor for an extremely old man to fall in a close battle with one of his strongest young sons. I imagine that even when dieing it was recognized that he was a superior warrior who was just too far past his prime. When resurrected, he was brought back in the prime of his youth but with all the experience of a man who had fought for nearly a century, and so could best nearly anyone.

He did decide to realign his people with the Amurites instead of Mulcarn once Kyorlin had proven his toughness, but that was a smart move as Kyorlin defeated Mulcarn.

We don't really have a lot of information on Mahala. We know that she is named after Kael's wife's D&D character, and that she is surprisingly beautiful and gentle for a Doviello, but still quite tough. She wants to civilize her people, but they don't want be be civilized.

Lugh the Wolf is a pretty typical Doviello, believing fully that their infighting guarantees only the strongest survive and will make the pack stronger. Lucian is quire different. He fights and kills challengers to keep control when he has to, but he really wishes he wouldn't have to and he sees such infighting a major problem. He, like Mahala, would like to civilize his barbarous brethren. I'm not sure he would really be one of Charadon's favorites, since he is philosophically much closet to Mahala, but he might respect him for his shear strength. I tend to think that Lucian was actually a Doviello Alpha male from after Charadon died and before he was resurrected, and might even have been the one to kill the elderly Charadon. I tend to think that Lucian may be a relative of Mahala, perhaps her father, but I have absolutely no evidence for that.

Well, in Mahala's civilopedia entry, there's a certain passage that points out that Lucian might be a favorite of Charadon.

Charadon would probably just be glad to be rid of her, so he could continue his mad race to drown the Doviello in blood. But she was bringing one man he was sure to miss…

“Ciciel, is Lucien here yet?”

In the same entry, it also hints that Charadon and Mahala actually HAVE had kids together.

“Hah! All you want to do is weaken us and then hand us over to our enemies, to be put in pens like sheep and cows! Better to die as warriors than live as thralls!”

“Sheep and c… Argh! I am thinking of our CHILDREN, while all you think of is your thirst for BLOOD!”

This could mean that Charadn and Mahala did mate at some point, but she could just be referring to the Doviello tribe as her children.

When Mahala said that she was referencing the future of the Doviello, not literally speaking of her own children.

As for Lucian, I think Charadon may look past his views typically, or Lucian knows when to hold his tongue and so for his strength fell into Charadon's favor.

The Doviello are actually the most egalitarian of all the civs. Of course, this means that there is no chivalry in Doveillo society, and that women must prove themselves just as tough as the men.
Just like with the bearded dwarven women then. ;)

I mostly agree with MC: I think it's because whereas Mahala specializes in moving the Doviello forward through subtly and diplomacy, Lucien is still an old-fashioned head-smasher. A head-smasher who shares Mahala's goals, but a head-smasher nonetheless. Charadon might not agree with Lucien, but he respects him more than Mahala because he knows that Lucien earned his rank the old fashioned way; with a massive body count. And maybe the fact Lucien has a real chance of adding Charadon's body to that count, if need be.
I see Mahala as being relatively weak, physically, for a Doviello. Emphasis on relatively; she could smash any one of us without breaking a sweat. But her true strength is in her mind. Not in an intellectual way, either, but in a strength-of-will way. She can fight, but she'll win by being able to take more pain than her opponent, not by being able to hit harder.

I see Mahala as being relatively weak, physically, for a Doviello. Emphasis on relatively; she could smash any one of us without breaking a sweat. But her true strength is in her mind. Not in an intellectual way, either, but in a strength-of-will way. She can fight, but she'll win by being able to take more pain than her opponent, not by being able to hit harder.

I see it more that she's average to above average for a doviello, good enough to keep her hide intact long enough to bring her more exceptional traits to bear, same as Dentaro. Weak compared to Charadon, yes, but that's more because Charadon is the biggest, baddest dog in the pack.

It makes some sense, but I'd still like to know how she was able to rise to the rank of leader.

It makes some sense, but I'd still like to know how she was able to rise to the rank of leader.

Probably the usual Doviello way; force of personality combined with the ability to beat the ever-living snot out of anyone who challenges you :p

You do have to wonder if she used herself as a way to get to the top.

For those of you too stupid or innocent, I mean her body. ;)

Top Bottom