1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Sid Meier Your Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by DanQ, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Zenon_pt

Zenon_pt Civing on the real world

I know some of the questions I would like to ask are direct to some of the issues, but others are a mere curiosity and clarifications. Here's goes:

- What is the real reason for Portugal/ Brazil does not enter in your next project Civ4 - Colonization? (quite direct)
    - Some chances for a Civ 5 in PC / Mac in near by future (aka 1-2 years)? (Everyone would like to know this)
    - How often do you consult your customers?
    - In the forthcoming Civ's, it's possible to appear, in the last expansion, a kit of make your own civilization?
    - Two requests: In future civ's don't forget to add our World map; and minimal or no patches off corrections.

Forgive me if I was very direct, and Happy Birthday ACS.

2. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

1. What really is your role in the company you work for?
    2. If you could make a new game or modify an existing one to a point you consider perfection (or close enough until "perfection" changes), what would this game be like?
    3. What question have you always wanted someone to ask, but they never have? (And what is the answer to that question?)
    4. Is there a game you like that no one would ever guess that you enjoy playing?

3. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Chieftain

Does Firaxis consider creating a fantasy turn based strategy game for PC's?

4. Mivo

Mivo Chieftain

I'd give a lot for this. :)

5. Balderstrom

Balderstrom Chieftain

^^ Which would go perfectly with my wish for Sid & Steve to work together :D

6. Firestorm94

Firestorm94 zuh?

Sid,
    as a console geek AND computer nerd, i was excited when i heard civ was trying its hand at consoles, so my question is, will there be a civ for the Wii? And if so, will civ have a separate console franchise along with the computer games

Also, thanks for the civilopedia, without it I would have failed 8th grade history

I also wouldn't have known that America secretly started in 4000BC
    :joke:
    also, can i have a free computer:lol:

7. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Chieftain

About stack combat in the civilization franchise:

In every version of civilization, combat between units has been some form of one-on-one combat. Stacks of units would meet eachother, but the victor would be decided by a series of one-on-one fights. This type of combat works well at the start of the game when only a few units are available, but when armies get bigger and units more diversified in their combat roles, then it becomes somewhat lacking in realism and micromanagement intensive. Has Firaxis ever considered implementing some form of stack combat where diverse units are formed into groups of some limited size which fight eachother as groups. The cannon could fire at the approaching units and when the battle lines meet, melee combat would ensue while cavalry moves around the battle lines to try and reach the vulnerable cannons. All fully automated of course because it would otherwise take too much time but visible to the player. If implemented well, it could streamline late game combat into a few fights between stacks of units (armies?) instead of 200 one-on-one fights. The main strategy would be to create armies which are well-balanced and are composed of units that increase each others strengths while covering each others weaknesses.

8. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

I had a couple of questions... One, will us Wii owners ever get the pleasure of playing CivRev on our Wii's? I know it was "indefinitely postponed", but I know a lot of people who only have or play the Wii and would find CivRev interesting at least, but are unable to experience it.

Also, in future installments of PC Civ, can we have a user friendly interface rules editor? At least be able to do in an editor what can be accomplished by editing the XML. With the current setup, you practically need a Cumputer Science degree to edit and mod Civ, and those few that are trying to make an easier editor for the rest of us are taking too long... not to mention that they are taking away from valuable time to make their own mods in order to try and help us programming challenged civ fans.

Thanks for your time and for Civ

9. troytheface

troytheface Chieftain

is Hitler and Isreal not included because your jewish?
    Since you don't really work for the company creating anything do you really even care about new incarnations or do you just act interested because you do not want to slay the cash cow?
    Is it the nature of man that "the old profit from the young"

10. RedRalph

RedRalph Chieftain

He's not Jewish, although his surname sounds so. hitlers out because the game couldnt be sold in Germany if he was, and I dont even want to know why you think a Jew would refuse to put Israel in the game...

I think he might refer to civ5, after all, when asked about it last March he said "ask me again later this year". this may well be the announcement.

11. King Flevance

King Flevance Chieftain

Nah, he will most likely hold onto that news for a large press conference style announcement. Not a internet forum fan show.

12. RedRalph

RedRalph Chieftain

Actually youre probably right there.

13. J-man

J-man Chieftain

I don't think he will refer to civ 5, he won't be asked:
    He did say "ask me again later this year" He won't be asked so he won't tell.

14. King Flevance

King Flevance Chieftain

I wonder if DanQ will avoid questions such as asking if Firaxis will be releasing any new strategy titles in the near future? With the question being as vague as possible. Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a "What's your favorite color?" questionnaire.

15. Gainy III

Gainy III Chieftain

Does anyone know a convenient way to convert .wav into .mp3? (not my sid question)

To what extent do you want Civ to reflect society?

Attached Files:

16. Balderstrom

Balderstrom Chieftain

Pretty much any app that does "ripping" will do it. I used to use WinAmp 2.95 but EAC (ExactAudioCopy) gives more control (frontEnd's for LAME). WiMP (WindowsMediaPlayer) might do it - but I never use the windows apps for those things - believe it will try its hardest to turn it into a WMA. MediaMonkey and a number of the Media Library apps do format conversions.

17. Gainy III

Gainy III Chieftain

This is going off topic but may be useful for those wanting to post audio files.

I made my voice recording on windows sound recorder which only allowed me to save as .wav. Like you suggest I try to save as .mp3 with windows media player but the file gives me an error message when I try to play. I save it as .gay, windows media player tells me it may not be able to play the file but then it does so successfully.

I can rip cds to mp3 with windows media player but I dont know if I can convert. Windows media player will not play my question.mp3, VLC media player will, so I have attached my new mp3 recording in the hope it will be answered :cool::crazyeye: love,

18. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:nope:

As for the audio file format for questions, I want them in MP3 format but I will not preclude WAV if one is not familiar/comfortable in converting it -- I can do that.

:lol::lol:

19. King Flevance

King Flevance Chieftain

Good to know, DanQ. :goodjob:

20. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

What advice would you give to a young person that wants to become a game developer? Where should they best start?

Which game is Sid currently playing in his spare time when he is not vigorously testing colonization?

When can we expect a morph game of types based on civ style of games?

A recent magazine gave away the original colonization game on a cd. Will Firaxis be looking to give away the new game too like this? You know it makes sense.

Had to copy these from a previous post.