Asteroids

Duke van Frost said:
sure, but I´m quite upset that you had enough time to even EDIT your post this time :eek:

DSL has been my savior.

Just so we don't completely threadjack....Any space type buttons coming Duke? Asteroids, Stars, and whatever else these guys come up with.

woodelf said:
DSL has been my savior.

Just so we don't completely threadjack....Any space type buttons coming Duke? Asteroids, Stars, and whatever else these guys come up with.

@Grendelbiter: If you want some of those, just PM me! I´ll surely do those for you (because I always loved the terrain gfx mods for Civ3 - so I´d like to support this one as well)

Wow! I didn't expect this much response. Woodelf, Mattastic, Duke welcome aboard. I'm just in to check real quick, I'll be back tomorrow.

Hm... I just got one idea:

maybe you can add a terrain called orbit (or something like that), so you could have orbit instead of coast and interstallar space instead of ocean (a vision of small starbased jetfighters only being able to fly in orbit and starships flying in deepspace comes to mind)

I could also model some simple resources for you, do buttons for those and alter the gamefont.tga files (that´s if I got enough time while working on the WHFB mod)

Duke van Frost said:
Hm... I just got one idea:

maybe you can add a terrain called orbit (or something like that), so you could have orbit instead of coast and interstallar space instead of ocean (a vision of small starbased jetfighters only being able to fly in orbit and starships flying in deepspace comes to mind)

I could also model some simple resources for you, do buttons for those and alter the gamefont.tga files (that´s if I got enough time while working on the WHFB mod)

That would be cool for a MoO like game, with planets and whole starsystems, I'm rather leaning towards a more localized map where you duke it out in an asteroid field. The scale of one square I would imagine to be about 5-10km. Of course you could always make a mod of the mod :D

Yes, and we do need resources. For "ocean" resources I'm thinking pure mineral asteroids floating around...might be able to just modify existing minerals.

One idea I had was to change polar ice to dense asteroid field which no ship can penetrate and then make a script (or rather have someone make one) that would distribute it more evenly over the whole map, providing for a more interesting map.

...maybe we should open another thread for this...

Yep, this is perfect for the Star Wars mod :)

Yeah, looks even better :goodjob:

I got another two things on my mind though. If you want to make it even better try to add some nebula to the stars, like i said before (but I don´t know if it´s even possible or will look good - but you could give it a try).

have a look here:

http://www.atscope.com.au/latest.html

And for the Land - you could add some craters to it ;)

EDIT: Even better, only add craters to one terraintype (for example the old planes) and call this terrain "crater somewhat". I don´t think you´ll want to call the terrain grassland, plains, desert etc. - Am I right?

As a reward for all you hard work I´m starting to model some simple "Ice Forest", that can replace the original one (think of frozen gases and liquids that erupted from the asteroids) And I´ll have a look if I can model this "dense asteroid field" for you - but you´ll still have to implement it into the mod :p

I can't wait to see simple structures getting built on these. The refinery made by Sevo would look cool.

Nebula won't work because there's only one tile for ocean and I can't put that much variety on a 128x128 tile. It might be possible to add features though maybe?? I agree with craters and renaming tiles...maybe carbonaceous rock, silicaceous rock and metallic rock or something.

Just a couple of thoughts:

Taking from Duke's orbit/interstellar space idea, you could always call coast and ocean "local space" and "deep space" respectively, perhaps. Maybe "coastal" vessels would be small spaceships unequipped for long voyages at slower-than-light speeds.

Talking of units, I have some ideas for units in a possible mod. Is one likely to happen? Or should I just work on my ideas independantly?

Grendelbiter said:
Nebula won't work because there's only one tile for ocean and I can't put that much variety on a 128x128 tile.

Yeah, I already thought so, after seeing the pattern in the star tiles.

To give you a boost I`ll show you a screenshot that I took from my work in progress on the "dense asteroidfield" idea for the packice:

Preview Asteroids.jpg

But I think I´ll have to tell you that I won´t get this done until next week, because work on the WHFB Mod started again and we want to put out a new beta as soon as possible! Sorry again :(

Lovely space crabs! :p

The screenie looks fantastic other than the incorrectly overlapping tiles.

woodelf said:
Lovely space crabs! :p

Tastes so good, once it touches your lips :D

And I´m quite sure the tiles don´t overlap incorrectly, just looks that way on these screenshots (and those "overlapping" asteroids are from one tile :p )

I hope you find time away from WH to continue this stuff with the other graphical space guys. This is gorgeous looking.

Top Bottom