August 2020 Developer Livestream Discussion

I'm a little baffled they left Grand Master's Chapel so intact. It's really strong in my opinion. In a domination game, it usually let's you faith buy several units directly in newly conquered cities, basically letting your old units rest and heal while the faith zerg moves on.

I think a reasonable change would be to limit the faith buying of units to only be from cities with an established governor, that way you would have to wait a bit before you can spew out endless reinforcements. As a small buff, allow naval units to be purchased with faith as well, if this is deemed too severe of a nerf otherwise.

And if you've got her in a volcano city, you're very reluctant to move her around also. In my current game she's protecting my capital from a volcano, but I'm sorely tempted to move her to a city with the Galapagos Islands to place fisheries around the Natural Wonder to spice it up a little. But I can't seem to convince myself that it won't be worth the inevitable eruption.

True that. I had a wonderful volcano city with her set up in it, moved her to help another city 'temporarily' and the very next turn had that volcano erupt killing 8 citizens and pillaging all the mines I had set up.

Ended up moving her back that turn whilst shaking my head.

Chiming in late here, but I think the inadvertent Venice city state reveal means that a Renaissance Italy Civ won’t be in NFP, which is definitely a bummer for me.

There’s no way Venice wouldn’t be on the city list of a renaissance or modern Italy, so I think it’s essentially confirmed. Too bad.

It wasn't an inadvertent reveal. It was on purpose :p. I think you're right about the rest.
---

Venice's reveal was probably this patch's "leak". Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll give us a little something in the game files.

Moving around governors is the epitome of boring micromanagement. Liang is definitely the worst, but micromanaging moving Magnus for chopping is not much better. I think the Governor system would be much more interesting if the Governors - with exception of the military one - were assigned to a city and then stayed stationary there, so they worked like a city specialization.

It would be kind of cool if governors were more of an area effect, so they acted like regional governors rather than city governors. That might reduce the micro, although you'd have a whole separate notion of breaking the civ up into regions to manage, and obviously still would have some micro to shift them around (not to mention obviously some balancing since otherwise it's too strong to get a Pingala bonus for 4-5 cities)

It would be kind of cool if governors were more of an area effect, so they acted like regional governors rather than city governors. That might reduce the micro, although you'd have a whole separate notion of breaking the civ up into regions to manage, and obviously still would have some micro to shift them around (not to mention obviously some balancing since otherwise it's too strong to get a Pingala bonus for 4-5 cities)

If I recall correctly there are people advocating about introducing a "province" system into civ for a while. "Regional" governors would be like that.

It wasn't an inadvertent reveal. It was on purpose :p. I think you're right about the rest.
---

Venice's reveal was probably this patch's "leak". Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll give us a little something in the game files.

Absolutely... Just the care he took to also NOT mouse-hover over the description of venice's bonuses kind of supports this theory.

Bring on Portugal!

It's marketing guys. They know their audience, they know we're looking at everything and so everything's done on purpose.

If they didn't know beforehand, our many discussions on a third expansion based on the blank spot where a banner SHOULD be, was enough to remind them. We analyze the games on the shelf, to see if there's any clue there... Freaking Tamar of Georgia...

Any changes are purely intentional and are definite Clues™.

Not marketing though, I don't think. How many people are looking for this stuff? Less than 0.1% of potential buyers?

So I think it's just a form of communication with their "die-hard" fanbase. Like smoke signals or something.
Or maybe they just took an existing City State like Muscat and changed the name the Venice to mess with us. They know how much we overanalyze every little detail, so they might be toying with us for fun. Sorry, I had a hankering for playing devil’s advocate.

Or maybe they just took an existing City State like Muscat and changed the name the Venice to mess with us. They know how much we overanalyze every little detail, so they might be toying with us for fun. Sorry, I had a hankering for playing devil’s advocate.
That's a lot of work to change the name, icon, and city/palace architecture. :p

Top Bottom