Augustus Caesar's voice is a bit...

jamo133

Chieftain
Does anyone else think Caesar's voice is a bit...wimpy? I mean, for the most powerful man on Earth in human history, I think his voice is a bit off.

Some years ago a guy called george w. bush was supposed to be the most powerful man on earth. his voice wasn't brimming with testosterone either...It is not all as Hollywood-like as we wish it to be :)

Augustus was the "little boy" that everybody thought could be pushed around. It turned out he was ruthless and cutthroat in the Roman political world and could manipulate people and circumstances to get what he wanted. He also relied heavily on propaganda. I think he also happened to be a far-sighted leader, but I never expect him to be booming and powerful-sounding. Teddy Roosevelt used to say speak softly and carry a big stick. I think Augustus was more speak softly and carry a dagger in your cloak.

Were you expecting a Hulk Hogan type of voice?

I'd prefer a Macho Man voice, personally.

Declaration of war message: "Ooooh yeeaaahhh! SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!"

As for why people tend to think of Augustus as younger, the beginning of Augustus' reign actually signaled in a change of artistic styles when it came to the portrayal of emperors. In the Republic art style, old and wise looking leaders were valued. However, Augustus (as well as many future emperors) were always portrayed as young, regardless as age. This went more in-line with a god-like, immortal, and charismatic figure.

Does anyone else think Caesar's voice is a bit...wimpy? I mean, for the most powerful man on Earth in human history, I think his voice is a bit off.

The important words here are "man" and "human". Do you think that just because you gain political power all your muscles start so swell, lightning bursts from your eyes and thunder itself becomes your booming voice?

The voice is fine as it is, it fits the characters bored attitude.

BTW: I think that's an exageration. Any russian President since the second world war was proabably more powerful than Augustus, cause Legions and controlling the Senat won't help you angainst nukes.

He was 44 years old when he became emperor. He ruled for 31 years and died at the age of 75.

According to Wikipedia, he was born in 63 BCE, led Actium in 31 BCE, and became Emperor in 27 BCE. Thus, he was 32 at Actium (at which point he became Princeps), and 36 when he ascended to the imperial role. That's not counting the years he spent accruing power in the Republic to get to the point of fighting Antony. That's extremely young for that kind of role; for comparison, Barack Obama is considered young for a president, and he was elected at age 47.

And the art style of the age certainly makes him seem younger - in any statue of him, as general or Pontifex Maximus, he appears to be in his 20s.

I felt the exact same when in BTS we got those recorded quotes from Sid ;)

BTW: I think that's an exageration. Any russian President since the second world war was proabably more powerful than Augustus, cause Legions and controlling the Senat won't help you angainst nukes.

Well, keep the time period in mind here. For awhile, legions were the premier military force in the known world - their training and tactics could adapt to almost any situation. They fought and defeated everything from elephants to pikemen to horse archers and cataphracts, all of which were lethal war machines in that era.

Saying 'Caesar isn't the most powerful man in history because now we have nukes' is anachronistic. Drop a man with an armory full of modern weaponry into ancient Rome, and he'd be looked upon as a God. That doesn't mean he's more powerful than Caesar; it's all a matter of the relative time period.

For the record, I don't think Caesar was the most powerful man in human history either. I just don't think that's the reason.

Wu Zetian too. It sounds like they pulled people off the street to do the voices.

Dam, I'm playing him on my first game, so I can't really hear his voice. But I don't like his face on the loadscreen either.

According to Wikipedia, he was born in 63 BCE, led Actium in 31 BCE, and became Emperor in 27 BCE. Thus, he was 32 at Actium (at which point he became Princeps), and 36 when he ascended to the imperial role. That's not counting the years he spent accruing power in the Republic to get to the point of fighting Antony. That's extremely young for that kind of role; for comparison, Barack Obama is considered young for a president, and he was elected at age 47.

people live longer now, 47 years old was a respectable age at the time of the romans.

Augustus was the "little boy" that everybody thought could be pushed around. It turned out he was ruthless and cutthroat in the Roman political world and could manipulate people and circumstances to get what he wanted. He also relied heavily on propaganda. I think he also happened to be a far-sighted leader, but I never expect him to be booming and powerful-sounding. Teddy Roosevelt used to say speak softly and carry a big stick. I think Augustus was more speak softly and carry a dagger in your cloak.

This guy speaks like he really had a chat with Augustus, come on I am pretty sure you dont own a time travel machine, sheesh:rolleyes:

Wu Zetian too. It sounds like they pulled people off the street to do the voices.

From the manual:
manual said:
Alexander the Great – Miró de Monteseppia
Askia Mohammad I – Mori Majid
Augustus Caesar – Émile Khordoc
Catherine the Great – Svetlana Migdissova
Darius I – Yassin Alsalman
Gandhi – Avtar Sandhu
George Washington – Marcel Jeanin
Harun Al-Rashid – Laith Marouf
Hiawatha – Kanentokon Hemlock
Montezuma – Alfredo Camacho
Napoléon Bonaparte – Greg Gobbi
Oda Nobunaga – Ryosuke Aoike
Otto Van Bismark – Heinz Becker
Queen Elizabeth – Julia Lenardon
Ramesses II – George Saad
Ramkhamhaeng – Thon Kongkaewpaisarn
Suleiman the Magnificent – Onur Aydemir
Wu Zetian – Rachel Lei Xie

I know almost none of them, but then I don't even have TV.

Anyway, nice to know which Askia the "Askia of Songhai" is supposed to be (in the game, it's presented as a name instead of a title).

Top Bottom