Australia patch update: Any impact to the game?

DiffSarit

Chieftain
I have stopped playing the game for a while due to hectic work schedule.

I saw that Summer patch and Australia DLC was launched during this time.

Is there any changes that make a significant impact to the game (post Winter patch)?

Thanks in advance for any input ;-).

Money is a little harder to come by, and the AI is a little better at combat, small steps in the right direction

AI attacks better, builds actual air fleets and uses them, bombs improvements.

Diplo makes more sense.

Yeah it's getting better. :)

China took a major city off Russia in a TSL map (directly below St. Petersburg, so half way across the map), then used that army to destroy Germany's army, raid their lands, and batter their cities (impressive military performance for an AI, imo, up to this point. They're clearly moving in the right direction).

I had a deity game post patch where the Aztecs AI conquered nearly all of AI Greece, including their capital. Did it late game as well, so fully walled cities with encampments.

Which I was very excited about, as its the first I've seen it.

But more objectively, its an improvement off a low base, and still not much to write home about.

I've complained about continuing poor unit compositions that haven't changed noticeably since the patch, so I was very impressed in my current Emperor session when Brazil had 4+ archers, about three warriors, and a chariot.

They wandered around dumbly, I suspect because the AI was fixated on attacking my capital rather than the two closer cities, so I just attacked and wiped them out without losses, but even if AI combat behaviour isn't improving they can at least sometimes build actual armies early (as opposed to the three-warrior Zerg rush that can take an early city unprepared but which they can't follow up on).

I have found that the AI tends to declare war on you in groups. I use to get formal wars spread though out the early game. now 2 or 3 Civs at a time seems to do it together now. I have found the early game to be much harder than it was. Still lacking Late game smarts though. "imo"

Just make sure the first thing you do is train a slinger. Otherwise the barbs will eat you alive.

Just make sure the first thing you do is train a slinger. Otherwise the barbs will eat you alive.

I agree, But I would go a little further and say......

Just make sure the first thing you do is train 2-3 slingers. Otherwise the barbs will eat you alive..... :p

Last edited:
For me barbs aren't much worse than before, but I used to open with a Slinger anyway...

The AI seems to be improving little by little. You can't conquer much more than your first target with Archers, you need Swordsmen (which received a very welcome buff) and Rams.

Though UU replacements for Swordsmen weren't improved as well, so now Kongo UU is strictly inferior to usual Swords. Not that Kongo wasn't already OP...

For me barbs aren't much worse than before, but I used to open with a Slinger anyway...

The AI seems to be improving little by little. You can't conquer much more than your first target with Archers, you need Swordsmen (which received a very welcome buff) and Rams.

Though UU replacements for Swordsmen weren't improved as well, so now Kongo UU is strictly inferior to usual Swords. Not that Kongo wasn't already OP...
I just started a new Kongo game. Just as my first slinger was trained, my city was attacked by two horsemen and a horse archer. That is way stronger than before. Only the first camp you find seems to be that bad. Subsequent camps I encountered didn't pour out barbs that fast.

I used to open with a monument, and then a slinger. Not any more...

I actually always start with a warrior. As long as it's not a horse encampment two warriors can easily dispose of it.

I just started a new Kongo game. Just as my first slinger was trained, my city was attacked by two horsemen and a horse archer. That is way stronger than before. Only the first camp you find seems to be that bad. Subsequent camps I encountered didn't pour out barbs that fast.
It's luck of the draw in this case. But generally, if you find a camp within 5 tiles from any Horse resource, you want to destroy it ASAP. Also, make sure you scout your surroundings in a circular pattern, so you can spot any Horses nearby early.

I actually always start with a warrior. As long as it's not a horse encampment two warriors can easily dispose of it.
IMO a slinger is better so you can get the eureka for archers ASAP.

Overall latest patch seems great, but one annoyance is that it seems now after the patch city states can do automatic peace treaties when they want.

At my current game Amsterdam has started war with me and after brief siege war just before winning and capturing their city they decided not to war anymore and declared peace with me without asking anything from me. Now it will take 10 turns before war can be declared again and their city has plenty of time to heal.

This might be a bug, but if its intended change then it will make capturing city states quite tough from now on as they can decide to go peace anytime.

Overall latest patch seems great, but one annoyance is that it seems now after the patch city states can do automatic peace treaties when they want.

At my current game Amsterdam has started war with me and after brief siege war just before winning and capturing their city they decided not to war anymore and declared peace with me without asking anything from me. Now it will take 10 turns before war can be declared again and their city has plenty of time to heal.

This might be a bug, but if its intended change then it will make capturing city states quite tough from now on as they can decide to go peace anytime.
I would imagine this is related to them being an ally and then not with a war opponent of yours.

Investigated this further, and makes sense now. It seems Amsterdam was suzerain of Sumeria of who I was at war with and when Arabia later took them as Suzerain it forced Amsterdam to peace with me. Continuing war against them was possible by declaring war to Arabia now even if it was impossible to directly re-declare war with Amsterdam due recent peace.

Top Bottom