Australian Politics

I haven't seen a thread for this, so I figured I'd start one. I don't know if anyone outside of Australia will be interested, and I haven't seen a single Victorian on the boards, but it can't hurt, and starting a thread is on my bucket list.

The election is this Saturday, and is for the control of Victoria, Australia's second most populous state. The two main parties battling it out for leadership are the incumbent Coalition (a coalition of the Liberal and National parties, commonly referred to as the LNP, or occasionally as the Liberal-National Party - which is incorrect terminology, but pobody's nerfect - led by Denis Napthine, and the opposition Australian Labor Party, commonly known as the ALP, or simply Labor, under Daniel Andrews.

Both of these men are career politicians. Andrews is a good twenty years Napthine's junior, and has been a member of Victoria's Leglislative Assembly (think Congress, House of Representatives, or House of Commons), commonly referred to as the Lower House, or simply House, since 2002, being chosen as leader after the ALP's shock defeat in the 2010 election. Napthine was first elected to the same body in 1988, but only became leader in 2013, when the previous Liberal leader, Ted Baillieu, was forced to resign the leadership - but was allowed to remain in the Leglislative Assembly - due to a scandal involving his Chief of Staff being caught on audiotape claiming that the LNP were deliberately undermining an enquiry into police corruption in Victoria.

Despite this, Napthine is very popular in Victoria, with 45% of those polled preferring him to Andrews, at 39%, with the remainder undecided. 45% approval is a very good number for an Australian political leader. Unfortunately for the incumbents, the popularity of their leader does not translate into popularity for the party as a whole. Labor leads the Coalition 56%-44% on a two-party preferred basis (there are other, smaller parties in Australian politics, so polls often ask who people prefer out of the two main parties, then ask who they prefer overall). I have been unable to find overall numbers when the Australian Greens and other minor parties are added to the mix.

There are several reasons for this. The proposed East-West Link, a highway linking parts of Victorian capital Melbourne's suburbs to the inner-city, is supported by the LNP, but opposed by the ALP. Roughly half of voters support it, but just as many either don't want it or don't care, and even many of its supporters believe that there are other infrastructure projects that should be funded first. The Federal Coalition, and its leader Tony Abbott, have claimed that the electon is a referendum on teh East-West Link,but there is very little truth to that.

The reality is that several scandals, such as the aforementioned Baillieu scandal, and the resignation - hours before his planned sacking - of Liberal Member Geoff Shaw, who was facing prosecution for fraud - have reduced the LNP government to a barely governable minority government; with Shaw's resignation from the LNP - on the same day as Napthine's ascenscion to the leadership, coincidentally - the LNP now only has 44 seats in the House(43 if one discounts the Speaker, who while a member of the LNP, is only allowed to vote on certain specific issues) to the ALP's 43 seats, and Shaw remains in the house as an independent. Shaw, while no longer a member of the LNP, is still ideologically on their side, and in order to pass most leglislation Napthine has been forced to cut several deals with Shaw; as Shaw, a nasty piece of work who may well be facing prison time soon, is understandably unpopular with the electorate, this hurts Napthine. Andrews, however, has also used Shaw's vote on occasion to block government leglisation, which embarrases the ALP. Both sides, while willing to take Shaw's vote, have claimed that the other party is trying to embarrass them by associating them with Shaw, which is quite humorous.

The Victorian Leglisative Council, (think Senate or House of Lords), commonly known as the Upper House, is usually even more of a hodgepodge, with various minor parties holding the balance of power. In contrast to Australia's Federal Upper House, or the Upper Houses of most Australian states, the Victorian Upper House is actually more cut-and-dried than the Lower House, with 21 of the 40 seats controlled by the Coalition, 16 by Labor, and 3 by the Greens.

The Greens and Labor almost always vote the same, though there are exceptions. It is rare for the Greens to vote the same as the LNP, and also rare, at least on a state level, for the LNP and ALP to vote the same; this happens in Federal politics sometimes, particularly on national security issues. It is also very unusual for a Member to break ranks with their party and 'cross the floor, voting with the other party/ parties. Since leglisation usually starts in the Lower House, gets voted upon, then sent to the Upper House to be voted on again, any leglisation the LNP gets through the Lower House is usually passed into law by their majority in the Upper House. Their difficulties in the Lower House, however, mean that the Upper House hasn't had all that much to do lately.

By far Napthine's biggest problem in the coming election, however, is theaforementioned Federal Coalition government. Tony Abbott can most accurately be described, even by LNP supporters, as almost certainly the worst Prime Minister in Australia's history. He has a clear majority in his Lower House, but the Upper House is more of the sort of hodgepodge I described earlier, with various minor parties controlling the balance of power, essentially forcing Abbott, whose idea of negotiation has always been all-or-nothing, to attempt to negotiate with multiple smaller parties to pass leglisation. This is not helped by the fact that most of leglisation has essentially consisted of measures that are very unpopular with the public, with attempts to raise taxes on the poor, alter laws to make it easier for banks and financial planners to rip off their clients, ending investigations into Rupert Murdoch's News Ltd., (which Abbott is a former columnist for) cutting the budgets of dozens of services nationwide, including, just last week, the highly popular public broadcaster the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). These cuts are largely seen by the electorate as ideological and selfish, rather than for sound economic reasons, as the LNP claims. Most people see it as a combination of the LNP's desire to eventually privatise most public assets, payback for ABC criticism of Abbott and the LNP, and throwing a bone to his old boss Murdoch, who competes (unsuccessfully, as of late) with the ABC, especially for the digital market.

Abbott has recently slumped to the equal lowest approval rating of any PM in Australian history - equalling his old opponent, Julia Gillard - in spite of mostly-favourable media coverage for the LNP from News Ltd., which dominates the Australian market. His incredibly harsh budget, using discredited austerity measures, debateable taxes, and the fact that he campaigned against Gillard for one lie, while having been caught out in what I overheard on the radio last week was now over 280 lies since his election, has made him widely hated, with rumours that his own party is planning to replace him with somebody else; the main question being which of the possible candidates will be chosen, as there are at least four challengers waiting in the wings to stab Abbott in the back, and they're almost certainly splitting the vote between them.

While state and Federal politics are separate in Australia, and Australians are generally believed to be smart enough to vote for state politicians on state issues, and Federal politicians on Federal issues, there is always some bleed-over. In Victoria's case, we are seeing possibly the worst bleed-over in Australia's history, with 23% of those polled saying they won't vote for the state LNP due to their dislike of Abbott and the Federal LNP. These numbers seem to indicate that, if Abbott were not PM, that Napthine would win comfortably. Abbott has already negatively affected the LNP in the South Australian state election this year, where his harsh budget and typical gaffes caused the LNP, widely tipped to defeat the incumbent ALP, suffered a shock defeat that almost no analysts predicted even the day before the election. It seems he will have the same effect in Victoria. This may well provoke an attempt on his leadership position next week, though that is far from certain.

Those same analysts who predicted a Coalition victory in South Australia are now prediction a Labor victory in Victoria. The current figures anticipate that Labor will win 51 seats to the LNP's 37, and there is the possibility that the Greens may even win two seats, changing the total to 50-36-2. The Upper House is, as usual, almost impossible to predict, but most analysts believe that preference deals will leave right-wing micro-parties with the balance of power, which is probably not good for anyone. The Lower House uses preferential voting, while the Upper House uses proportional voting.

Sorry for ths mammoth post, but I wanted to cover everything. Here are some interesting links:

Guardian Australia's Victorian Election Coverage.

Victorian Vote Compass.

Reactions: V55
Here's a map

Spoiler :

I'm with the Greens campaign for Eastern and South Eastern Metro, doorknocking and handing out How-To-Vote cards. People have been quite enthusiastic with early voting and we're looking at more than one in four voting before election day.

I have been unable to find overall numbers when the Australian Greens and other minor parties are added to the mix.

Poll Bludger has been tracking Victorian poll results. Aggregated results show the Coalition on 40%, Labor on 39%, and the Greens on 14%, and a 2PP of 53-47 to Labor. Morgan have been showing the Greens on 18-19% which everyone agree is ridiculous.

Those same analysts who predicted a Coalition victory in South Australia are now prediction a Labor victory in Victoria. The current figures anticipate that Labor will win 51 seats to the LNP's 37, and there is the possibility that the Greens may even win two seats, changing the total to 50-36-2.

The two seats the Greens are likely to pick up are both Labor-held (Melbourne and Richmond). They were campaigning hard in Prahran which is Liberal-held but they've Buckley's chance of actually taking it.

I'm just hoping for as much power as possible to be taken away from the Libs/Labor duopoly, and hopefully Rise Up Australia, Family First and Australian Christians get nothing.

Here's a map

Spoiler :

I'm with the Greens campaign for Eastern and South Eastern Metro, doorknocking and handing out How-To-Vote cards. People have been quite enthusiastic with early voting and we're looking at more than one in four voting before election day.

Poll Bludger has been tracking Victorian poll results. Aggregated results show the Coalition on 40%, Labor on 39%, and the Greens on 14%, and a 2PP of 53-47 to Labor. Morgan have been showing the Greens on 18-19% which everyone agree is ridiculous.

The two seats the Greens are likely to pick up are both Labor-held (Melbourne and Richmond). They were campaigning hard in Prahran which is Liberal-held but they've Buckley's chance of actually taking it.
Thanks for the map. My tablet hates posting images, so I didn't try to go with my original idea, posting that map, and tables from both Houses, and maybe a pic each of Napthine and Andrews. Thanks also for the Poll Bludger link. Never heard of it before, wasn't turning up in my searches.

I heard Melbourne and Prahran, hence my numbering.

I'm just hoping for as much power as possible to be taken away from the Libs/Labor duopoly, and hopefully Rise Up Australia, Family First and Australian Christians get nothing.
Rise Up is tipped to win a seat, unfortunately. They seem to be doing better than the majority of the minor parties. The big winner in the Upper House will likely be the Country Alliance; they're getting the rub of the green from the Libs, Nats, Labor, and the micros. Even the Greens are mostly preferencing them ahead of Labor, due to their spat.

There's a rather amusing story today of the Liberal Victoria facebook page trying to attack Labor saying Labor will legalise cage fighting. Turns out facebook commenters are all for cage fighting.

Liberals have outspent Labor five to one. They're desparate, and it might well work out for them. If things get really close in the marginal seats we might not know the results for a week.

The Liberals are preferencing the Greens last in every electorate. Below Rise Up Australia. I take it as a great compliment.

Rise Up is tipped to win a seat, unfortunately. They seem to be doing better than the majority of the minor parties. The big winner in the Upper House will likely be the Country Alliance; they're getting the rub of the green from the Libs, Nats, Labor, and the micros. Even the Greens are mostly preferencing them ahead of Labor, due to their spat.

This is wrong. Greens preference Labor ahead of Liberals and way ahead of Country Alliance in every region. Link.

The Greens-Labor spat is mostly one way and mostly due to Labor being butthurt that the Greens are actually campaigning for realsies, rather than just being content lurking in the background under big brother Labor's banner.

The Country Alliance may still land a seat in each rural region due to every other party preferencing them pretty high up.

Rise Up Australia is definitely a major presence. If I'm not mistaken they are the only party running a candidate in every seat apart from Labor, Lib-Nat, and Greens.

This is wrong. Greens preference Labor ahead of Liberals and way ahead of Country Alliance in every region. Link.

The Country Alliance may still land a seat in each rural region due to every other party preferencing them pretty high up.

Rise Up Australia is definitely a major presence. If I'm not mistaken they are the only party running a candidate in every seat apart from Labor, Lib-Nat, and Greens.

I don't recall a Rise Up candidate running in my electorate.

I don't recall a Rise Up candidate running in my electorate.

Huh, I was going through the absentee HTVs the other day and noticed Rise Up was in a lot of places. Must've misremembered thinking they're contesting every seat, but a quick browse-through of their website says evidently not.

(Am extremely tempted to ask Daniel Nalliah to give me a job fixing his party's website, it's horrendous)

If Tones can't irreversibly destroy the country in a term (and from what I've seen even he is not capable of that), then there's no way Andrew Daniels could do worse for the state.

:goodjob:

That opening post contains everything I ever knew about the Victorian State elections! Very thorough.

I must admit though that when I saw the title my first thought was "Victorian State? Wonder where that is." :blush:

I'm with the Greens campaign for Eastern and South Eastern Metro, doorknocking and handing out How-To-Vote cards.

I hope I don't offend you by asking this, but are the Australian Greens insane like their American counterparts? The US has a (largely irrelevant) green party too and they're batsnip insane across the board. From my understanding other countries have more moderate green parties, is this the case in Australia?

Moderator Action: Language
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

A Labor Victorian Government will be a disaster.
Thank you for that cogent, highly-detailed post. Would you care to explain why you believe this?

I recall a discussion way back in 2007 with someone on another message board, who believed that a Federal ALP victory would be terrible for the country. After about two pages of obfuscation he finally listed the reasons why he thought it would be terrible. Oddly enough, literally none of the reasons he listed actually happened under Rudd-Gillard-Rudd, though there were obviously other problems.

:goodjob:

That opening post contains everything I ever knew about the Victorian State elections! Very thorough.

I must admit though that when I saw the title my first thought was "Victorian State? Wonder where that is." :blush:
Why, merry old Australia, my good chum! Now, be a dear and fetch us a cup of tea! Cheerio. (I don't know how people in Victorian England spoke)

I hope I don't offend you by asking this, but are the Australian Greens insane like their American counterparts? The US has a (largely irrelevant) green party too and they're batsnip insane across the board. From my understanding other countries have more moderate green parties, is this the case in Australia?

Moderator Action: Language
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889
Tk can answer this far better than I can, but the Australian Greens began as a single-issue environmentalist party, but have evolved into a fairly stable centre-left political party. They still have a strong emphasis on environmentalism, but now focus even more on a wide range of social justice issues. Essentially, the Greens are Australia's only major left-wing party (Labor used to occupy that position, but has gradually moved right, culminating in a sudden lurch last year as Rudd-Gillard sought electoral survival in populism). The deputy leader of the Greens, Adam Bandt - the Federal MP for Melbourne - has even campaigned for changing the name to something less environmentally evocative due to the negative connotations the name has, especially in rural areas, but nothing has come of it yet.

Because the Senate has basically blocked anything from getting through.
I believe that is azzaman333's point. Considering some of the leglisation the Abbott government has attempted to pass - the $7 GP co-payment, the changes to financial advice laws, the paid parental leave scheme - it's a very good thing for Australia that the Senate has blocked this leglisation. I never thought I'd be thankful for Jacqui Lambie.

Apologies for the double post. The latest poll is out.

It indicates that Labor now leads the Coalition 52%-48% on a two-party preferred basis, down slightly from the poll I quoted in my opening post. 60% of people now approve of the East-West Link, which is up from 52%, but as before, people want public transport funded more. Napthine is trying his hardest to distance himself from Tony Abbott, but it doesn't seem to be working; this is unfortunate, as Napthine is about as distant from Abbott as an LNP member can get. Or maybe it's fortunate, if you look at it from the point of view of the ALP.

Tk can answer this far better than I can, but the Australian Greens began as a single-issue environmentalist party, but have evolved into a fairly stable centre-left political party. They still have a strong emphasis on environmentalism, but now focus even more on a wide range of social justice issues. Essentially, the Greens are Australia's only major left-wing party (Labor used to occupy that position, but has gradually moved right, culminating in a sudden lurch last year as Rudd-Gillard sought electoral survival in populism). The deputy leader of the Greens, Adam Bandt - the Federal MP for Melbourne - has even campaigned for changing the name to something less environmentally evocative due to the negative connotations the name has, especially in rural areas, but nothing has come of it yet.

That's basically it. Especially in the last few years they're starting to go for broad electoral appeal by acting more like a proper conventional political party than a protest group. The Victorian branch didn't even have a party leader last state election for instance. Nowadays they are much more pragmatic; doing a deal with Clive Palmer, for example, surely wasn't something the old Greens environmentalist base liked but it was done anyway.

You can browse through their websites for their policies and decide if they're "insane" or not, though in Saigon's case I suspect it might be "anything left of Reagan".

Top Bottom