Automated Worker Problems

Soryn Arkayn

Prince
Has anyone encountered serious problems with automated Workers since BtS?

The problems I've encountered are automated Workers building the wrong improvement over resources (like a Cottage or Fortress over a Resource); cutting down Forests and/or building Farms or Fortresses on tiles outside of cities radii; and failing to build Railroad networks.

The first problem mainly happens early in the game, I suppose before the appropriate resource gathering Techs have been researched, so the automated Workers simply build any Improvement, and later will destroy it and build the appropriate one.

The second problem is annoying because the automated Workers destroy all of the forests even if they're outside a city's radius, which means that there aren't any forests left to turn into Preserves. They Workers also build Farms beyond cities radii, which is unproductive because they don't help at all. Also, Workers will build Fortresses on Resources outside cities radii, and even if I replace the fortress with the appropriate resource gathering Improvement, later automated Workers will destroy it and rebuild the Fortress. Now correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't matter if a Resource is outside a city's radius, if you build the appropriate Improvement and connect it with roads/rails it should still provide you with that Resource. So I don't know why the Workers don't automatically build the appropriate Improvement. I suspect that if you already have access to one of that Resource the Workers don't think acquiring another is necessary, so they don't build the right Improvement. But that doesn't make sense because they didn't do that prior to BtS, so why would the Devs change the Workers' AI and make the stupider? The only way to prevent this problem is to set Workers to Leave Old Improvements, but this causes problems in the early game because if you don't have the right Tech, the Workers will build the wrong improvement over a Resource, but later when you've acquired the right Tech, they can't automatically build over the old Improvement with the new, correct Improvement while the Leave Old Improvements option is toggled on. I've found the only way to overcome this problem is toggle the Leave Old Improvements option off at the start and then on around the mid-game; and then I diligently check for the appearance of late-game Resources like Coal, Oil, Aluminum, and Uranium, so that I can manually order Workers to build the appropriate Improvements on them.

Possibly the most frustrating is when Workers fail to build Railroads when they become available. I find that the Workers will automatically connect all of my cities, but that's it; they don't wallpaper my territory with Railroads like they used to (like I want), which forces me to pair them up and do it manually.

Has anyone else encountered these problems?

Turn off automation and city governor..

Turn off automation and city governor..
Those aren't solutions.

The problem is with the Workers' automation AI ever since the BtS expansion. Turning off Worker automation and the cities' governors would be like going back to Civilization 1.

Ok, well you keep Automating but every player above Prince turns them off ;)

Use the Settings for Workers (leave old improvement, don't chop forests)

And fortresses are great over resources not in the city radius because they gather the resource.

If your going to Automate workers that's a horrible Idea :p

Automated workers will build farms early then cottage over them, it also prevents them from building workshops/windmills/watermills..

Thats what you do when you turn Automation off and want to leave one or two to build roads or hook up resources in far off places you might miss.

If your lazy and leave Automation on (Which I do when I'm feeling lazy) you just play better to make up for it and accept it as a handicap lol. I mean seriously, the Comp is using the same workers you are, by turning it off your just giving the AI a handicap really :D

Building farms outside of your city isn't unproductive. It spreads irrigation to tiles that otherwise wouldn't be able to build farms. Also, forts on top of resources in your territory make those resources available to you. Again, this isn't unproductive at all.

The only suggestions I have mirror the ones that have already been stated. Either don't automate your workers, or check the leave old improvements and the don't chop forests boxes.

Hmmm, I'll give that a try.

I bet I'll still do a better job doing them all by hand tho ;) but that would let me both be lazy and get it right.

You must be some sort of genius.

Top Bottom