Autumn 2017 Patch General Discussion

and my graphics card (1050 ti)

I'm only using an 860m, so I think we can rule out your graphics card as the "weak point" in this specific case :lol:

It is a bit of a mystery if its not a memory problem and you guys have better graphics cards than I do, but still seem to have the lockup happen more regularly. I guess at least that this shows its a strange bug and is probably why Firaxis can't seem to find a conclusive fix for it :dunno:

I recently upgraded my system and went from DDR3 1333MHz CL9 to DDR4 3000MHz CL15, 16GB in both cases. Haven't noticed any change in freezing behavior, i.e. it still happens. Fierro's tip (waiting a moment after saving before exit) helps, but not always. I've also had a couple of crashes to desktop since the last patch, and I don't think I've seen them before.

Additionally, there are some strange graphics glitches that weren't there before the patch (e.g. city bar turning transparent, horses and sheep on the same tile or citizen management icons showing on the map when no city is selected), but only in hot seat mode and so far these have always gone away when reloading. I've only played two hot seat games since the patch, but in both there has been a stuck notification in the lower right corner (can't get rid of it by right-clicking, even reloading doesn't help). I'll have to see if I have a save file with this happening and post a bug report.

I never immediately exit after saving (I'll usually save, go look at the scores, and only exit after that), but it freezes as I already described here.

2kqa_b was updated. Still no indication about what this is, but since the Mac/Linux qa builds have yet to begin testing, I assume they are waiting for whatever is going on here to get done.

I guess it's kind of off-topic, but I've never had the freeze on quitting problem before or after the patch. My computer is about 8 years old now, so it's got 8GB of RAM and a pretty old i7. The graphics card is slightly newer (GTX 570). So, I don't think it's a hardware problem.

2kqa_b was updated. Still no indication about what this is, but since the Mac/Linux qa builds have yet to begin testing, I assume they are waiting for whatever is going on here to get done.

I'm half thinking it might actually be xplatform. I.e. 2kqa_b is updated with windows changes, and Aspyr pulls it down on their side for in-house development/testing?

I'm half thinking it might actually be xplatform. I.e. 2kqa_b is updated with windows changes, and Aspyr pulls it down on their side for in-house development/testing?

It seems like putting it up on Steam would be an unnecessary step when they could just send the files right to Aspyr and set it up on in-house servers there in that scenario.

This is based entirely on anecdotal evidence, but I suspect the lockup on quitting to desktop is related to memory use rather than a processing fault.

I used to get the lockup regularly, but since I upgraded my RAM a few months ago it happens maybe once in every ten quits from the game, if not less. It's probably being caused by some kind of weird interaction between the game application and Windows (or insert applicable OS here) when its trying to free up memory after a longer play session.

It might just be in my head, but it seemed to be doing it more often when I was also running chrome on my second monitor.

It hasn't happened to me at all since the patch, though.

It seems like putting it up on Steam would be an unnecessary step when they could just send the files right to Aspyr and set it up on in-house servers there in that scenario.

Going through version control is actually usually the easiest way - I worked in a place for a short time whose deployments and 'version control' were all emailed .zip files, and it was the 9th circle of h*ll. And I doubt Aspyr has access to Firaxis's internal version control, though who knows, maybe Civ 6 is all sitting in a private repository up on github somewhere ;)

Having said that, "They are working on fixing xplatform/they are going to hotfix" was my thoughts after the summer patch as well, and we know how that turned out. I might be delusionally optimistic.

I have experienced the same problem on a high-end iMac. I just give it the three-finger salute and quit out of it, so it's not much of a problem, but it does happen around 5-10% of the time.

About the status on the Mac/Linux release, AspyrWoo said today in the Steam Mac Thread that they’re still in development. This is after he said three weeks ago that the 2-3 week window was still viable. They’re probably still having issues with x-platform. He didn’t seem very optimistic on a previous post either because it has definitely been a really challenging endeavor and as much as I’ve gathered reading between the lines the cooperation and coordination between companies has been less ideal than expected, let’s say, not to mention the silence from Firaxis on the subject. Well, patience is a virtue, as the saying goes. We’re pretty much virtuous by now. It will probably be another two weeks as the summer patch. I hope not though. But it would be nice that if it ends up being that long, Firaxis releases a hot fix for all platforms then also.

He didn’t seem very optimistic on a previous post either because it has definitely been a really challenging endeavor and as much as I’ve gathered reading between the lines the cooperation and coordination between companies has been less ideal than expected, let’s say, not to mention the silence from Firaxis on the subject.

Yeah, I've gotten that sense as well. Having said that, Ed Beach did mention it specifically in the 'Future of Civ 6' interview from last week, so that gives me hope it's moved up in priority.

2kqa_d updated. Similar to other recent updates. Still no idea if this is a hotfix or something for cross-platform multiplayer.

Also, they skipped 2kqa_c.

2kqa_d updated. Similar to other recent updates. Still no idea if this is a hotfix or something for cross-platform multiplayer.

Also, they skipped 2kqa_c.

Considering we're coming up on a month since the patch was released, I think continuing to describe this as a possible "hotfix" is perhaps overly generous :mischief:

Considering we're coming up on a month since the patch was released, I think continuing to describe this as a possible "hotfix" is perhaps overly generous :mischief:

In my experience, a hotfix is just a patch that can be implemented without disrupting service. While the servers are hot, as it were.

In my experience, a hotfix is just a patch that can be implemented without disrupting service. While the servers are hot, as it were.

I suppose so. It's just that I would expect them to be something that would appear quickly after the initial patch itself as well, though I guess that's more from being used to seeing hotfixes deployed to resolve severe unexpected behavior following the patch itself. Y'know, the type of thing that can't wait for more than a few days.

They just updated the "Compat" build for the first time in about a year.

Compatibility testing?

They've updated the Mac qa build. It doesn't have DLC06 on it at the moment, but this is the beginning of testing for the Mac/Linux Fall patch. It puts the notion of a hotfix for Windows to bed, I think. Hopefully the Mac and Linux brethren will have DLC06 and the Fall patch by the end of the month.

Top Bottom