Aztec - Montezuma I Thread

Well, the thread title is technically "Aztec Video" and the narration is part of that video.

However, I do agree. The talk should be focused on Monty and the Aztecs and not the narrator. :)

Would you rather talk about the narrator or how Monty isn't "Aztec enough"? ;)

Would you rather talk about the narrator or how Monty isn't "Aztec enough"? ;)

I think when you start next to Civ VI Monty, you'll find out quickly if he is Aztec enough. ;)

I am getting very sick of Aztecs as a civ. Why not have a civ that encompasses all of Mexico's history? Instead we get a small civilization which only represents a tiny fraction of Mexico's culture and history.

I am getting very sick of Aztecs as a civ. Why not have a civ that encompasses all of Mexico's history? Instead we get a small civilization which only represents a tiny fraction of Mexico's culture and history.

Some players get kind of critical when civs get lumped into the modern nation. They'd rather have the components. Think Venice and Rome but no Italy.

Some players get kind of critical when civs get lumped into the modern nation. They'd rather have the components. Think Venice and Rome but no Italy.

Having Aztecs as a civ is like having Saxons for Germany. They were just one component people who in no way merit taking Germany's place.

Having Aztecs as a civ is like having Saxons for Germany. They were just one component people who in no way merit taking Germany's place.

IF they replaced the Aztecs with modern Mexico, people would complain (not really correctly) that they were putting in another "European" Western power.

That would be terrible and we would end up with an India in civ situation. Lazaro Cardenas leading Eagle warriors to defend Tijuana? please no.

The Aztecs are the most recognizable of the mesoamerican civilizations along with the Mayans, they are not interchangeable with the rest of Mexican history just because we happen to inhabit the same territory.

If anything we could have more mesoamerican civs represented in game as CS, pre-hispanic Mexico is filled with City States after all.

PS: I'd love to see Mexico as its own civ tho, but that would probably be a job for modders.

Well for Mexico is seems like it would be Aztecs or nothing. For the majority of its history Mexico was fragmented and of those fragmented peoples the Aztecs are most well known. I'd assume the majority would take Aztecs over nothing but perhaps I'm mistaken .

Unless you're suggesting Mexico... there's a long list of Civs that'd get in before Mexico

Mexico hasn't really done a whole lot, and it isn't particularly unique in any way. It also isn't unique geographically like Brazil is for example. The Aztecs I think are far more notable and unique as a civilisation than a modern Mexico.

Mexico hasn't really done a whole lot, and it isn't particularly unique in any way. It also isn't unique geographically like Brazil is for example. The Aztecs I think are far more notable and unique as a civilisation than a modern Mexico.

As I said it's not likely they will be added, however Firaxis opened that can of worms by adding Brazil in civ5, so a man can hope. I guess we just disagree on the uniqueness of Brazil over Mexico.

But back to the topic, the Aztecs on their own deserve their spot on civ, there's absolutely no need to mix them with other civs to warrant their inclusion.

Talking about mixing them with other civs, do you think Tlaxcala and Teotihuacan are still part of the city list? those two cities have nothing to be doing on that list.

Talking about mixing them with other civs, do you think Tlaxcala and Teotihuacan are still part of the city list? those two cities have nothing to be doing on that list.

It looks like they've rewritten the city lists this time round, so hopefully not. Maybe they'll be in the game as city states?

The Aztecs look pretty interesting here. Like the civ V version, you have a strong early military that can be used to snowball your civilization at the start and put yourself in a strong position in the midgame for peace or conquest. However, this version does it by capturing units to become builders instead of just becoming culture, so the aztecs are probably suited for a wide militaristic style at the start, using your captured builders to do just enough to keep you competitive with the turtling civs.

I like the basic design, not complicated, but impacts the game a fair extent. Keep it up!

That would be terrible and we would end up with an India in civ situation. Lazaro Cardenas leading Eagle warriors to defend Tijuana? please no.

The Aztecs are the most recognizable of the mesoamerican civilizations along with the Mayans, they are not interchangeable with the rest of Mexican history just because we happen to inhabit the same territory.

If anything we could have more mesoamerican civs represented in game as CS, pre-hispanic Mexico is filled with City States after all.

PS: I'd love to see Mexico as its own civ tho, but that would probably be a job for modders.

It exists. JFD made it, I think.

That is precisely the point I am trying to make. The Aztecs are being used to represent Mexico when they absolutely do not.
They were also not even a significant part of the history. They were an alliance that was around maybe 100 year?

Why is it that the Aztec unique unit is still an early unit? Shouldn't it be a mid-game unit? Because the Aztec Empire lasted from 1325 to 1521, they were not Mayans or Olmecs to have anything before medieval times.

Top Bottom