Aztecs

Flower war just sounds silly, but if you can come up with anything better then yeah sure.
That's why I also suggested the Nahuatl word for it: Xochiyaoyotl
I think both work, if @Gazebo were to change the UA name I bet he would go with 'Xochiyaoyotl', since he seems to favour endonyms, even when the endonyms are awkward for english speakers (e.g. Ger)

On the other hand, Firaxis favoured xenonyms to a fault, even when they sounded stupid or they had to invent them (ie. Pictish warrior, Floating garden). Only one exception to this that I know of (nau vs carrack, even though they were called carracks in Civ IV)
I don't really see a need to change the name of the UA.
Need is an ugly word. This is a video game, we don't NEED the UA to even have a name, or it could be called 'GoogyWoops' for all the difference it made.
Flower wars were ritual wars waged by the triple alliance against neighbouring city-states as a means of collecting captives for living sacrifices, and as a way of demonstrating the Aztec's martial pre-eminence. The Aztecs had a greater population to draw from, so the continuous ritual combat was something that they could maintain at a lesser cost than their neighbours, who had a smaller population pool to draw from.

So flower war reflects both the yields on kill part (collecting captives) and the golden age on winning wars part (regular ritual combat to weaken neighbors). And it reflects the playstyle that this engenders for aztecs (Brief, regular wars with neighboring civs to constantly drain them and establish your preeminence, but never to kill them)

Last edited:
All in favor of GoogyWoops like this post, please.

G

Are we too old and mature to double-dog dare someone? Because that's what's happening here. You're being double-dog-dared. In public, so, you know, it's on the record in stone, mate.

If the UA is made 50% Googier and 50% Woopsier at the same time, and left that way for a month, I'm looking forward to the bug reports on GitHub with all the people who aren't "in on it"

Last edited:
Hm... Is it me, or Xōchiyaoyōtl seems to be the most reasonable choice here? No one has complained about it. Yet.

As a native Spanish speaker, I don't mind which one do you chose. Also, I think both of them, and even Xōchiyaoyōtl, fit more with the UA than Sacrificial Rites. But I don't mind either if it remains unchanged.

I mean I certainty can't pronounce Xōchiyaoyōtl so it wouldn't do me much good. As long as the civopedia entry mentioned that it translates to Flower War I wouldn't care.

That said I would prefer Flower War and civopedia mentioning the term Xōchiyaoyōtl.

Strawpoll?

X’s in nahuatl are ‘sh’ and the bar above just means a long vowel
“Show-chee-yeow-yo-tl” (the ‘tl’ is like turtle)

If you're having trouble looking it up in the civilopedia or wherever, the fact that it's the only thing that starts with 'X' should help

Last edited:
I'd rather have the endonym in Civilopedia. Without being crude, I'll never remember how to spell the endonym, so I wouldn't be able to look it up in Civilopedia to see what the English word for it was. I can do that in reverse.

There's some endonyms I don't mind, like nau - pretty intuitive. Xochiyaoyotl is too much.

Top Bottom