1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Barbarian Clans Game Mode Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Shadowstrike

Shadowstrike Warlord

Is it possible to scale conversion to city state progress as a function of the land around a barbarian camp? That would get rid of all the camps converting to city-states in the tundra/snow/deep desert problem, while keeping the benefits of the game mode.

2. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

I think the desert and tundra clans are fine. It is the snow ones which are ridiculous.

Jkchart likes this.
  3. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Possible. I know free cities and barbs ignore each other. I've seen that for sure.

Might be fun to start with no CSs and let them appear through barbs. Only downside is it'd be hard to get the poli-phi inspiration early on.

4. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

I really like the sound of this mode but in practice...not so much! There seems to be more barbarians for one thing and they take up space. Even limiting number of City States and AI players didn't help. Not bothering with this mode for now - in fact I'm not bothering with any of the new game modes. I dislike all of them for different reasons. I might try the Monopolies one at some point but if the AI doesn't know how to use it then that's no help either (I don't want victory to be even easier in late game).

Kotofei and kaspergm like this.
  5. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

Can't help with the number of barbarians (not sure why there would be, but it definitely seems to be the case), unless you increase the numbers of AI so there are less unobserved areas for Barbs to spawn in, but the number of CSs should be easy. Use the CS picker so that there are only as many on the roster as CSs that you want at any given time. Barb camps won't progress to spawn once all the roster is taken, until a CS is razed. So if you want a max of 15, leave only 15 CSs on the roster, and there will be at most only 15 CSs on the map at any time.

Jimdigriz likes this.
  6. brandonnj84

brandonnj84 Chieftain

Does anyone else get CONSTANT Hippolyta and Beowulf units from barbs from using both modes? I've been trying to mod it out - as the heroes should be marked "can't ever train", but the clans mode seems to change that. Anyone know a way to fix it?

7. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

I've never even seen them have a Hero unit...

8. Alaindor

Alaindor Warlord

Same here

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  9. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, I think even a change as simple as making any barb camp that spawns on snow would simply be disabled from evolving to a CS would go a long way. So you might still be able to get like a "Greenland" CS if they spawn on the tundra coastline of a polar island, but the one that spawns in the far corner would simply stay a barb camp forever.

Pfeffersack, Jkchart and uhu like this.
  11. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Gosh.. i have yet to see Barbarian/Heroes of any kind -- but, if *it* actually happens (buggy or not) just let it be, AFAIC.

This very special magic is exactly what we need more of -- challenging AI conditions.

12. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

Honestly I wish that the AI was partially replaced by barbarians. Like when an AI declares war on you or you attack them they got the typical barb spawn of forces around each of their cities with the barb military AI

tobapuw and Jimdigriz like this.
  13. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

Yeah, good point. Get the AI nations to fight like Barbs do!

14. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

I honestly wonder if a game with nothing but barbs would actually be more challenging

15. Alaindor

Alaindor Warlord

Isn't that the point of the zombie mode?

16. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I would love this - disable barbarian city state conversion in Snow tiles. I get tired of seeing the poles as heavily populated with city states.

aieeegrunt, Alaindor and Pfeffersack like this.
  17. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

No idea, my experience with the other game modes and their endless issues meant I skipped that one

18. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Try it out then, but play on lower difficulty, as Deity AI will deal with zombies no problem, so you won't notice anything very different; however, default Prince will suit perfectly for this type of challenge, Zombie mode on only, and you'll have a situation very close to what you described. Before too long, all AIs will be reduced to capital only, zero improvements, so no luxuries and little money to trade, if any, all city states will be eaten (razed), except maybe those in your immediate vicinity which you will probably be able to save. And then it will be only you and innumerable hordes of zombies.

19. Alaindor

Alaindor Warlord

Exactly why I'm not interested in trying it out, that's not a Civ game to me

Zaarin and Pfeffersack like this.
  20. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

That does seem interesting. I’m gonna do a no barbs game and see how that goes first