1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barbarians unique unit

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by spiceant, Jan 3, 2006.

1. spiceant

spiceant Warlord

the barbarians are becoming more of a civ with each sequel and now that they can geneate great people construct wonders and even finish the space race is it not only logical that barbarians get their own unique unit as they are the only civ without one.

2. QiZhe

QiZhe Warlord

I think barbarians are troublesome enough without having some supped-up axemen coming at you.

3. the_dong146

the_dong146 Chieftain

interesting idea... maybe a "horde" unit, say weaker but costs less shields to produce

4. Finite Monkey

Finite Monkey Warlord

Barbarian Chieftans from Civ 2 anyone???

The Barbarian Chieftan/Warlord:

Attack 5 + 50% against melee
    Causes collateral damage. (That way when you see him marching on your city you get a little shaken up).

When you capture/kill him you get some reward, like 50g.

5. troytheface

troytheface Deity

a great idea - and since axemen barbarians are already fairly disturbing then they get a wild axeface uu ...

6. salty

salty Prince

If you can get a hold of my Salt Civ3 Units mod v0.2, the barbarians have all sorts of orphaned units. In version 0.3 I changed it so only a playable barbarian leader has them (and he has a lot).

7. SES-Eugene

SES-Eugene Chieftain

I would recommend the classic 80s cartoon character, "Captain Caveman" as the barb's unique unit. It goes on a spin and then attack. =)

8. drjones

drjones Warlord

Simple, privateer. The only naval UU, in between galleon and frigate in strength with more moves and cheap as hell to build. Should give more motivation to clean out those pesky natives.

9. flipk1d

flipk1d Chieftain

sweet!!

but instead, how bout of 5 attack, make him 3 attack, with + 200% vs cities w/collateral damage and a bigger bonus

this means that, like the original warlord, he is a sitting duck without his bodygaurds/defending axmemen, but, with them, and marching on your city, you have little hope of just sitting it out with archers

10. Marquez

Marquez Chieftain

I would definitely be in favor of putting the barbarian leader back in. I thought it was kind of funny chasing him all over the screen after you had killed his support units. Who knows, he may lead you back to some barb city you didn't know about. Instead of a ransoming him you could choose to kill him instead. This could maybe cause barb activity to slow for a while as their leader is gone. On the other hand you could ransom him back and get a nice chunk of change. It might add a little dimension to the game in it's early stages when there isn't all that much to oversee.

11. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Civ3 barbarians were much less civ-like than Civ2 ones.

12. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

Since barbs represents totally different minor civs, it is not very logical to give them a common UU. That would be almost like giving them a leaderface and diplomacy options

13. zafyro

zafyro Warlord

i´d agree to give them a berserker unit or a horde bonus... What about including between the barbarian citi names such as Mordor :p

14. whitecrow

whitecrow Chieftain

Don't they have lions and bears already? :D

15. KGrevstad

KGrevstad Warlord

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!!!

--Kristine

16. Grachi

Grachi Chieftain

all I have to say is...

Damn barbarians.

They always seem to cause me so much trouble early in the game.

17. Briareos

Briareos Chieftain

That reminds me of something... :D

18. KGrevstad

KGrevstad Warlord

Now THAT was funny! :lol:

--Kristine

19. vinstafresh

vinstafresh Prince

UU: Horse archer with collateral damage (like the Huns)

I loved the revolutions within civs, barbarian cities of 17. I think barbarians should have a bigger role as being 'uncivilized' within the game of 'civilization', primarily focussed on military. Diplomacy with barbarians would be pretty cool (http://www.glilli.com/at.htm) or even playing a barb 'civ' where military techs are the only techs possible (and 50% cheaper) to research. Other techs can be traded (or stolen). Can't produce workers (must enslave civ's workers) and settlers are 100% more expensive.

Sorry for getting carried away there for a moment :mischief:

20. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Barbarians already have a Star Trek style transporter (thats how they beam all those units directly around your cities) they don't need a unique unit...