barracks, armories and such

LoudScott

Chieftain
So the civpedia says that among other things that barracks and amories do, units trained in Encampments with them gain 25% more experience. How? And how can you tell the difference between units trained at encampments with those buildings vs. ones without them?

Unlike Civ V, those buildings do not give new units any lump-sum XP to start or any starting promotions. Instead, they provide more XP gain from combat --- similar to the Civ V Honor policy Military Tradition, which gave 50% more XP from combat, or the Zulu's unique ability.

Is there a way to tell a trained vs un-trained unit?

On top of that, can anyone please tell me how to figure out how many xp points my units have and how many more they need to get the next promotion? You know in other civs there was a clearly labeled area that told you this. Now I am either missing it or it is not there.

On top of that, can anyone please tell me how to figure out how many xp points my units have and how many more they need to get the next promotion? You know in other civs there was a clearly labeled area that told you this. Now I am either missing it or it is not there.
Select a unit. At the bottom right of the screen there is a tiny white line that indicates experience. The current promotions are indicated with small medals above this line.

civ6exp.jpg

I don't know if there's a way to tell if a unit was produced with the exp bonus.

So I'm still curious as to how you identify units that have been "trained" versus the "untrained"????

Don't understand your question -- why do you need to know whether a unit is "trained" or "untrained"? What relevance does that have to the game? Unit exists, or does not exist.

Don't understand your question -- why do you need to know whether a unit is "trained" or "untrained"? What relevance does that have to the game? Unit exists, or does not exist.

But you might not make all your units from the same city. So you might have 3-4 units that are untrained and 2-3 that you built in that city that are trained and get bonus exp. Seeing you can only name your units after level 2, means you need to keep track of which units you built from a "good" city.

Considering how much faster the units with training can get promotions, it's kinda a big deal to know which units you might want to put in harms way first knowing they might get healed.

AFAIK there isn't a way to see if a unit was built from a city with the encampment.

Got it. Yes, there's no in-game display showing that difference, although the game clearly knows the difference (since it has to boost the XP gain for the one and not the other).

@Furycrab @Browd Exactly, in fact the benefits stack, so you could have units built before you have an encampment 0% benefit you might have units built after you have a barracks 25% benefit and then you might have units built after you have an armory....they would get 50% benefit. So now you have 3 different classes of units in the game and AFAIK there is no way to tell the difference between these units. So either I don't understand the benefit of those buildings and the user interface or there is something missing in the game. Is that more clear?

Sorry, posted this before I saw your reply. So that's it....no way to tell the difference. Got it.

Last edited:
I think the way to distinguish them is to look at the xp bar of same level units - non trained unit will have progress i.e. 0/100 xp, barracks trained 0/75 xp, armory 0/50 xp.
Not very convenient but you can tell the difference.

I think the way to distinguish them is to look at the xp bar of same level units - non trained unit will have progress i.e. 0/100 xp, barracks trained 0/75 xp, armory 0/50 xp.
Not very convenient but you can tell the difference.
How odd. So the barracks effectively gives you a 33% bonus to the XP gained, not a 25%.

Its a good district. The encampment allowa you to build units aand gives a production bonus to trade routes. If you ally a military city state youll get even more prod bonus toward units. The barracks give a production bonus and housing.

Sorry for the necro, but I've found myself asking the same question than in this thread. How can I tell which units have the barracks/armory/academy experience bonus and which dont? Was this added by any patch? Does CQUI or NQUI address this problem?

I cannot comment on mods but The addition experience from Oligarchy or barracks etc is only shown when the unit does damage.The XP bar at the bottom does not change and 0 reports show this benefit.

Some additional bits

XP needed increases by 15 per level for all troops.
Ranged and melee get 4XP
Melee ships of course get the Oligarchy bonus
Scouts count as melee so also get Oligarchy bonus

When you have 7 levels of promotion and get to 350 XP you get the unit promotion alert bottom right on the main screen although you can no longer upgrade the unit. Stupid right.

A great question @Olleus as I have never really looked at XP in detail before.
Some interesting parameters to test like
+2 for killing a unit
+10 for capturing a city
8 max XP from a single combat
3 XP for attacking a district
the max promotions of 6 seems to be ignored Testing via firetuner

Last edited:

In the current version of Civ6 the experience thresholds are not modified by encampment buildings. They just modifiy the experience you get from a combat. Unfortunately the experience is rounded (no floored just rounded), which means that you might not get more experience in certain situations.

8 max XP from a single combat

I believe 8 max XP also means that a unit can get at most 8 experience per turn if it is attacked by several units in a single turn.

Top Bottom