[R&F] Based on the new features - which civilizations and leaders should be introduced in R&F?

So, to sum based on this potential development:

1. Korea
2. Netherlands
3. Mongols
4. Cree (?)
5. Alt Indian leader (?)

The Cree is a great choice-- they overlap with the need for Native American representation and cover an unrepresented geographic area (Canada props!). India is dependent on who the leader is (poor Gandhi, but it is high time for new blood).

This leaves open four spots for new civs. I don't think these additions change my bets too much, other than I think any extra North American civs are done for this round. Here we go:

6. Portugal/Italian City-State
7. Georgia (are you Tamar fans happy now that I admit this? ;))
8. Inca (South America needs some love, and they are the best candidate)
9. Ottomans (Anatolian civ by default, since Hittites and Byzantines lost City State roulette in preview shots)

My only caution is that with Georgia and the Ottomans, the Black Sea region is over-represented, so one or both may be out.

Nur Jahan may be the female that plays with ages in an interesting way.

I think we will see the Ottomans, Georgia, Mali or Ghana and an Italian city-state, Portugal or the Inca.

Now that we know the alt-leader is male and the Cree leader is probably male, one of the last 4 civs has a female leader with an interesting interaction with the Ages system. It makes Tamar look more likely in my opinion.

Known:
Korea
Mongols
Netherlands
alt-leader India
Cree

Speculation:
Inca
Ottomans
2 of the following: Italy, Celts/Celtic Kingdom, Georgia, Carthage

Now that we know the alt-leader is male and the Cree leader is probably male, one of the last 4 civs has a female leader with an interesting interaction with the Ages system. It makes Tamar look more likely in my opinion.

Chandragupta Maurya AND Tamar? We can only hope!

If we get an Incan Civ this expansion, it will be an extreme success in my eyes - if we get Inca AND an African Civ, including Carthage, I'll be over the moon.

All of my guesses have been wrong but here goes:
Korea
Netherlands
Mongolia
Cree
Ottomans
Inca
One of Georgia/Italy/Genoa.
Ashanti (!!!!) or Mali. Really, really hope we get another African civ

I suspect the next DLC will be European/Age of Exploration-focused, thus raising the odds for Georgia and an African civ. Wouldn't surprise me to see an exploration-themed DLC with Genoa, Portugal and alt-leader Isabella. The Cree are a brilliant choice IMO. New native peoples civ bypassing the typical US tribes. Nice work Firaxis!!!!

Yeah, I'm cautious w/r/t Georgia's inclusion but it looks very likely now that Chandragupta has been leaked as the Alt Leader. There are only so many female leaders who could fit the description, Tamar being one of them.

Not necessarily the Civs I want, but the Civs I expect:

- Based on the towers and soldiers defending against the Mongols in the trailer, I think Georgia is looking likely at this point.
- The Ottomans haven't actually been hinted yet (that I've seen, anyway) but along with the Mongols were one of the most surprising omissions from the base game - and they could fit the theme nicely. Antioch being spotted makes Byzantium unlikely, which in turn makes the Ottomans more likely as they occupied much the same area.
- I find the continued absence of Italian City-States to be more and more suspicious. I think we are finally going to see Italy as a Civ. Perhaps a unification-era incarnation, with someone like Cavour or Garibaldi as the leader - or something like what Venice or Austria had with City-States in Civilization V.
- Canada, because otherwise, why is Chateau Frontenac on the cover art? The Amundsen-Scott Polar Station Wonder also makes me think they might be interested in including another cold-terrain Civ alongside Russia.
- Clearly we need at least one Native American Civ, and if the above are accurate, we are getting precisely one. There is no reason it can't be a North American tribe, though you could argue that if Canada are in, that might make it less likely - so I'm expecting one from South America as it's got more or less no representation at all as it stands. And Maya are out, so I'm going with Inca.

Our bonus leader is probably going to be Isabella for Spain. I'd love to see Elizabeth again but I think that if England are going to get another leader at any point, it'll be a man: either Churchill or (fingers crossed) a medieval king like Edward III or, improbably, Alfred.

We're not going to get another Asian Civ for a while as we've just had two DLC ones, and already we have Korea and Mongolia in the expansion. Africa, the rest of the Americas and Polynesia will have to wait for more representation.

Already been proven wrong and I only posted this a day ago :lol:

Obviously the Cree means Canada is highly unlikely and the Chateau is just a mysterious red herring, probably a canned or delayed wonder. And I still think we might well see Isabella appear in a future expansion as an alternate leader. It would be good to have an alternative to weaksauce Philip for Spain.

Sticking to my other predictions: Ottomans, Inca, Italy and Georgia, none of which should be affected by the Cree or Chandragupta.

Sticking to my other predictions: Ottomans, Inca, Italy and Georgia, none of which should be affected by the Cree or Chandragupta.

Ottomans would be nice, I just hope they'd get more interesting traits/units than in V.

Speaking of large, multi-ethnic empires: What about Austria-Hungary?

Inca or Maya should pretty much be a given, considering how few American Civs are in the game. In fact, I would argue for both of them to be included. But that's just me.

Italy? Hmmm... Not as interesting as other countries would be to me. I would totally subscribe to an Italian city-state like Venice. Or taking this even further... how about the Vatican? One could argue that, while small in size, a Civ led by one of the more infamous and especially ruthless popes could be an interesting and worthy addition to the game. You'd have Swiss mercenary-guards as a UU, some sort of churches/cathedrals as UI/UB and a backstabbing leader with a religious agenda/bias to rival Arabia's.

S.

Italy could be the Italian city states during the Renaissance which would be Northern Italy or Unification Italy under say Garibaldi who would have an LUA about attacking cities that have low loyalty to their current owner. Call it Expedition of the Thousand or something.

Since the two threads are basically discussing the same things right now but haven't been merged, let me copy pasta what I put in the other thread:

You know, I can't decide if the Cree being the AmerInd civ eliminates any chance of Canada or makes it a lock based on a possible settlers scenario. The Cree were alliance builders and the Canadian expansion was VERY different than the American version.

Basically: Will Firaxis take the time to make a scenario about peaceful settlement in North America? Everyone knows how my country handled our expansion over the AmerInds (not our most glorious history, and the only part of our history that I'll just flat out own and say "wow did we do that wrong"), but how much of the world knows how America's Hat handled their expansion?

So, my updated bets are still:

Korea/Mongol/Netherlands
Cree
Italian civ (Genoa as leader - spoiler: Portugal still isn't in)
Inca
Georgia (I've fallen in love with this idea)
Canada (Possible, hopefully, but not as likely as I'd hope)

I know it's popular to include Byzantines and/or Ottomans on the list, but I just have a feeling they're both bumped to xpac 2.

Since the two threads are basically discussing the same things right now but haven't been merged, let me copy pasta what I put in the other thread:

You know, I can't decide if the Cree being the AmerInd civ eliminates any chance of Canada or makes it a lock based on a possible settlers scenario. The Cree were alliance builders and the Canadian expansion was VERY different than the American version.

Basically: Will Firaxis take the time to make a scenario about peaceful settlement in North America? Everyone knows how my country handled our expansion over the AmerInds (not our most glorious history, and the only part of our history that I'll just flat out own and say "wow did we do that wrong"), but how much of the world knows how America's Hat handled their expansion?

So, my updated bets are still:

Korea/Mongol/Netherlands
Cree
Italian civ (Genoa as leader - spoiler: Portugal still isn't in)
Inca
Georgia (I've fallen in love with this idea)
Canada (Possible, hopefully, but not as likely as I'd hope)

I know it's popular to include Byzantines and/or Ottomans on the list, but I just have a feeling they're both bumped to xpac 2.

Yeah a lot of people are saying that the Cree completely DESTROY any potential for a Canadian civ, and I'm just sitting here thinking that it makes Canada even more likely as the most likely leader choices for the Cree put them smack dab in the middle of the North-West Rebellion... against Canada. Not even "British Canada", but rather a fully and uniquely confederated Canada with mounties and such.

I still hold that there'll be a Canada-themed DLC tie-in around or just after release with the Château wonder and possibly a scenario set during the North-West Rebellion. There's way too much going for Canada right now for it to mean absolutely nothing.

Italy could be the Italian city states during the Renaissance which would be Northern Italy or Unification Italy under say Garibaldi who would have an LUA about attacking cities that have low loyalty to their current owner. Call it Expedition of the Thousand or something.

I agree on the city-state "civ" being introduced, as I subscribe to the Italian Renaissance City-State theory, more akin to Civ5's Venice than the modern nation-state of Italy being included. For centuries, Venice, Florence, Milan, and Genoa, amongst others, flourished independently on their own right, not as "Italy" as we know it today. They each were unique and played major roles on the world stage, and would all make fun civs. That said, if Firaxis just added them as City-States, I'd be fine with it. I just would like to see them in the game period.

As far as an independent Italian city state civ goes, a la Venice... one thing I do think people overlook is how different civ 5 and civ 6's mechanics are. Being limited to one city was much less punishing in civ 5. (and yes, conquering, but generally one does that from a starting empire of at least 4-5 cities in civ 6, for the science and decentralized production aspects.)

I'd be fine with a full Italian civ. Not enthused-- I think there are bigger gaps that need to be addressed-- but perfectly fine. And I do think it suspicious that there's not a single Italian city state in the mix right now.

My Canada bet lost, but my leader was correct! I'll count that as a win.

So far all correct except Canada.

That leaves a SA nation (probably Inca) an African nation (Ethiopia/Axum, Ghana/Mali/Songhai, Zulu, Palmyra, Carthage, Madagascar), and the Ottomans from my list. Both seem likely.

We probably only have one or two male leaders left, which I assume would be Inca/Ottomans.

One female leader works with ages in an interesting way.

Female leader possibilities:
Georgia - Tamar
Carthage - Dido
Palmyra - Zenobia
Axum - Makede
Madagascar - Ranavalona I
Zulu - Queen Nandi

This is just for the regions that seem likely to appear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom