Basic question before the start

Oxygen

Chieftain
Hey Guys :D
I have CIV4 + Warlords Expansions Pack, Im trying to start at strategy games, do you think I should play this one ?
Any tips ???
I only installed the CIV4 should I install Warlords yet ??

Sorry for my bad english..

Thank You
Oxygen:goodjob:

Moderator Action: Made a new thread for this question.

And :yup:, install Warlords ("WL") and directly play it without trying the base game. WL has everything what is in the base game and expands it further, no point in playing without it.

Or better decision: Buy the second expansion "Beyond The Sword" too ;).

The suggestion to get Beyond the Swords is a good one. Almost all of the people on these boards who play Civ IV play with Beyond the Sword, so it's worth it just to be on the same page as everyone else. There is probably about 80% overlap between Warlords and Beyond the Sword, but you still might get confusion about some nuances of the game from this board if you are playing an earlier version like Warlords.

Before you install Warlords (or after you do, since even with the expansion installed you can still play without it if you want to) you can play the Tutorial that comes with Civ4's no expansion version. That will give you some familiarity with the user interface and general concepts. Other than that, there is not much reason to play it without the expansion.

Thank You The_J for creating the topic.. I will search for videos of Civ 4 + Beyond The Sword to see how it is.. (the bad thing is that I will probably not find the game in a store near the place where I live :( )

I will try to make the tutorial too :p

Thank You All for the answers

Hey Guys :D
Just Had my first game of CIV4 (+warlords).. its was amazing !!
I won by world conquer .. Im in love xD

Bumping this thread. I, too, am a newb to civ other than having a brief couple of games with Civ Rev a few years back and then realizing I didn't have time for 5 hour straight sessions of gaming. However, having bought Civ IV complete a while back I figured it was time.

I've played the tutorial in Civ IV vanilla. I'm going to play Beyond the Sword, as recommended here (and once I'm comfortable with that, try my hand at Colonization). My question: if playing Beyond the Sword, do I need to have Warlords installed? Is there ever a reason to play Warlords outside of the scenarios?

*edit* Oh, and more importantly, is there an undo button? I find that at times I accidentally move a unit when I meant to do something else, or similar. Can I CTRL-Z my actions in the same turn?

No, and no.
Unless you purchased the whole thing online, there's normally no need to install Warlords before Bts (if you bought it online you have, because there's a bug in the online versions).
And BtS has everything from Warlords besides the scenarios/mods, so the only reason to fire up Warlords is for the scenarios/mods.

Thanks for the quick response. I bought it on Steam.

I have all three installed. Can I uninstall Warlords (meaning Warlords must be installed to install BTS) or does Warlords have to be there as long as BTS is?

Finally, I edited my original post, can you answer that question as well?

There's no "undo" button :/.

I have all three installed. Can I uninstall Warlords (meaning Warlords must be installed to install BTS) or does Warlords have to be there as long as BTS is?

I think it has to stay there.
The base problem is that it seems that BtS is not delivered with all interface elements, because these are normally taken from Warlords. In the disc version this is not an issue, the additional elements are just installed, but it seems the online versions don't recognize that. So you could try if it works after removing Warlords, but currently I'd guess that it doesn't.

The closest thing to an undo is to edit the .ini file to autosave every 1 turn. It comes set to every 10 turns. Then if you make an error, such as the one you describe, you can load the last autosave. The autosaves happen at the start of your turn, so you will have to replay whatever you did on that turn up to the error. If it is a minor error, it's not worth the reload but if it was a critical mis-click, it is worth doing.

Top Bottom