Battle for Barsoom [John Carter]

hi,

its not a bug my friend,

i designed the game to work only with the custom map i made,
its like a scenario mod, untill some1 can make me a special map script at least :)

i will make a new map soon.

i hope u find the problem daft.

im working to find the cuase for the python errors, i will find them its just a matter of time.

ok guys,
i found the problem :)
plz go to the xml folder ,
xml/gameinfo:

and rename these 2 files:
civ4speedinfo.xml
civ4cultureinfo.xml

into something else :
civ4speedinfo1.xml
civ4cultureinfo1.xml

or you can just delete these files,
this will fix your python errors.

also - daft - i believe this can also fix your crash - its a culture thing related.....

Spoiler :
hi,

its not a bug my friend,

i designed the game to work only with the custom map i made,
its like a scenario mod, untill some1 can make me a special map script at least :)

i will make a new map soon.

i hope u find the problem daft.

im working to find the cuase for the python errors, i will find them its just a matter of time.

ok guys,
i found the problem :)
plz go to the xml folder ,
xml/gameinfo:

and rename these 2 files:
civ4speedinfo.xml
civ4cultureinfo.xml

into something else :
civ4speedinfo1.xml
civ4cultureinfo1.xml

or you can just delete these files,
this will fix your python errors.

also - daft - i believe this can also fix your crash - its a culture thing related.....
:goodjob: :clap:...good show, I'll check it out soon, and give a report. Your time and work are both appreciated keldath.

Well, custom maps do provide a better challenge as you never know what to expect if playing a completely random map.

If you need to actually adjust existing mapscripts for them to be usable in your mod then I suggest smartmap script, it's one of the best, in my opinion :)

Unfortunate, but it's not working as intended. I'll sit back and see if anything comes up, but it's crunch-time part of the year with my 14 year old. Tons of school events this week.:help::faint::religion:

hey guys,

sry to hear it didnt help u daft.

crash, if u want, change the ini file name on the barsoom folder - and you will be able to play custom map - but u wont be able to cross water with units :)
cause the mod dont have water based units :)

ive began adding stuff to the mod,
adding 4 civs.
1 units class
4 religions
4 corps
tecchs
lotz of buildings
and more.

Indeed, funny thing is I am able to run VIP, Caveman2Cosmos, Pie's Ancient Europe, and several others with no problems. :confused::twitch::think:

One difference I did notice when trying the 'fix', was my initial Culture size, before the fix It is similar to VIP's initial city culture..1 square, where the first culture pop caused(seemingly) the CTD.
After the fix it was the traditional 9 squares, and the crash would happen as well, except is 'seemed' more random, though I probably just missed it.

wish i knew the the cause,

your right the culture file is exactly like in cip - i took it form there :)

i cant tell why you have a crash, i only added xml stuff, the core is kmod.

maybe you can try play kmod - see if you have a crash there?

Will give it a go, thank you Keldath for the continuing support, hopefully this will help others aswell in the future:beer:

Update: Well running k-mod was fine, made it a couple of hundred turns. I felt like I was riding in a Ferrarri or something though...Such a fast mod.

yes its the best mod out there , its got massive ai improvements.

then it means something in my xml make the mod crash at your end, what could that be?
i never had a mod crash at one end.
this puzzles me very.

maybe i will send you one of my earlier versions so i can pinpoint on what version your crash happens.
i dunno :(

yes its the best mod out there , its got massive ai improvements.

then it means something in my xml make the mod crash at your end, what could that be?
i never had a mod crash at one end.
this puzzles me very.

maybe i will send you one of my earlier versions so i can pinpoint on what version your crash happens.
i dunno :(
Ah, don't fret my friend, for the hunt is part of the adventure (albeit a small frustrating, mindbending, head-to-keyboarding moments):wallbash: in modding.

All part of the process, if it were not for these moments in life, where would we get the satisfaction.

Thought: Go ahead and send it my way through pm's or such

keldath,
Which version of VIP are you using as a base? I thought Vincentz had a fix for this in 0.92. I could be mistaken though.

D/l 'ing mod now. Hadn't check for awhile and did not realize a beta was available! Du-Oh!! :D

JosEPh

Daft73,
hey man,
sry ive been a bit busy, hope i can send you some during the week.

JosEPh_II,
hi dude,
well, i started off with vip 0.92, so i think im good.
but it will take me some time to publish my vip mod mod,
it took me 6 month just to get barsoom :)

im trying to work simultaneously on both pof the mods - 1 adding stuff to barsoom( added 4 civs already) 2. vipk2 modmod.

Spoiler :
Daft73,
hey man,
sry ive been a bit busy, hope i can send you some during the week.

JosEPh_II,
hi dude,
well, i started off with vip 0.92, so i think im good.
but it will take me some time to publish my vip mod mod,
it took me 6 month just to get barsoom :)

im trying to work simultaneously on both pof the mods - 1 adding stuff to barsoom( added 4 civs already) 2. vipk2 modmod.

Thanks for the heads up keldath, take your time I'm in no rush. At our house I'm replacing the floors, have the 14yr old graduating grade school, our older cat was attacked by a racoon- so taking care of her too...:whew:, good times at the casa.

Played some Barsoom this weekend, got beat by a Time victory by Tars Tarkas. Didn't realize the Time Victory was only 90 turns long, (which I think is rather strange unless you are playing Blitz game speed).

I continued on though and eventually had 5 cities when I met another Civ when he built a city on the edge of a kavern/kasum (sp?) across from me. Didn't figure out that Quads were needed to cross this barrier until Kars showed up with 12 str 12 Quads! :p

Still learning by playing. Have not checked for info in the Civilopedia (yeah I know I should've).

Is there Recommended Game victory settings? Time is definitely 1 I'll avoid for awhile.

Is there a Road equivalent in barsoom for a trade network? Or is another means used?

More questions and observations later.

JosEPh :)

Daft73,
sry to hear bout your cat, hope she is well :)
im a cat person my self :)

indeed good times :)
i will set up the files for the week end.

JosEPh_II,
oh finally some response on the game play :)

ok - yes ive noticed the time thing - i probably made time delay short by mistake.
i recommend you remove the civ4culture info.xml + civ4speedinfo.xml, it causes python errors, but not game critical, also i think it causes the time short delay.

ok so heres some explanation on the game play:
the map is divided to regions, each region is divided to other smaller zones.
these are separated by land type: cavern and land type khazem.
it is ment that it will take time to cross the map, since its all land, so i had to find some way to give the feel when you play a normal map with water boundaries...so i came up with the separator lands.

at early time, only some units can cross those lands, and more are opened as you advance in the tech tree.

for victory settings - well, id go for conquest, domination, or diplomacy, i not sure i set the holy war parameters , for me time is boring a bit ":)

ive decided to remove the road idea, just like in dune wars, so you dont need to connect resources.
to compensate , ive boosted up the unit movements, you'll find that late units can move above 5 moves per turn.
what do you think? roads will be more fun?

i really need tips about the game play,
the thing that bugs me the most, is the unit tree, , the unit powers, availability on the tech tree, and the unit classes.
and also when and to which units give the ability to cross regions early in the tech tree.

anything you can provide for me from your game exp will be very appreciated.

i continue the work to enlarge and better the mod, for now i got 4 more civs :)

Have you uploaded a new version with the 4 extra Civs?

Early game play is basically click turn after building 2 or 3 early "riders" units for at least the 1st 5-7 techs (game start till about 3800BC). Much like AND2 is too for me.

I noticed my cities where bigger in Pop size to most(but not all) AI. But the AI's production was better as well as unit production. (my poor understanding of the tech tree of course). I had to finally cheat in WB and remove some Stacks of Doom coming my way so I could play longer with out getting wiped out. And so I could continue to investigate the tech tree.

I think there should be an early mounted unit with about 5 str to help fill the gap between the "riders"/Spotters and 1st buggies and trikes str of 10. But of course this is only an initial impression with 1 partial game to go on.

JosEPh

Started 2nd game. Something I forgot to mention about the 1st game has shown up in the 2nd as well. The Turn time/date (upper right corner) and the Gold per turn/treasury (upper left) sometimes disappear for a turn and then return.

This time when this happened I also selected a fortified Spotter to wake up and it said Game paused. I hit enter and nothing still paused. Hit esc and CTD.

Where is the Pause/unpause button or keypad combination?

Another strange thing about turns, the number of turns increase with each turn but this time at 3990BC the Date stayed that way for many turns until the CTD.

This game was selected as Play Scenario where the other was Custom Scenario. Is Custom the proper selection?

Here are some screen shots. 2 from current CTD game the other 1 from 1st game (Kars Diplo screen). Many Text_Key_xxx in game too.
Edit: I know how I paused the game when I hit print screen I also fat fingered the Pause/break key. That's why the 1st say Game paused and the 2nd say press enter.
JosEPh

Hey JosEPh_II
dont have time to write a proper resonse (im at work ..:))

yes the game is ment for custom game.
a ctd when pressing the pause/break? wierd, maybe its somethign kmod based.
also the disapearing clock -that i can adress to bug mod not another clock - try to chage the bug options for it.
the mod works on pure kmod, so i wonder, maybe something wrong there with the features you stated.
the time - when you start a new game - make sure you delete the files:
civ4cultureinfo.xml
civ4gamespeedinfo.xml
from the gameinfo on the xml folder, im sure that wil fix some stuff related to the clock.

ill check the things you said when ill get home.

thanks buddy.

Update: Still no go tried the following so far...
1. delete cache and resource folders
2. used steam program to 'verify integrity of game cache'(basically look for missing files
and then steam replaces them)
3. uninstalled Civ 4 BTS, then reinstalled and patched.
4. changed name to barsoom1, ended up with gfc error
5. asked my wife for advice...told me to look it up :spank::sheep::pat:

Don't worry though there is plenty to do/play so don't fret about it too much, I'm sure it will work eventually.
Spoiler :

The mod folder should be "barsoom", not "barsoom1". Different naming for folders causes GFC error.

P.S. Oh there's page 2 in this thread, sorry, my advice may be a little too late.

The mod folder should be "barsoom", not "barsoom1". Different naming for folders causes GFC error.

P.S. Oh there's page 2 in this thread, sorry, my advice may be a little too late.

All good my friend...I was actually trying the advice of keldath when I 'changed mod names', so yes it did not work. I think the problem lies in my game folders..somewhere:hide:

It is troubling because I can run hard-core mods like C2C, and have no problems?? The problem must be in my base game, I have fiddled with them abit:cheers:

Top Bottom