1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Flamand, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Venger

Venger Give it a tumble, sport

Give me old school Galactica, where the cylons weren't made to look human to save on production costs...

Give me that old By Your Command any day.

Give me the old Adama and Tigh any day of the week.

And Starbuck IS A BLEEPING MAN.

Venger

2. Flamand

Flamand The Visible Elder!

The first sensible thing I heard in this discussion! :)

Actually a BSG mod is in the works based on the old series, which I think is more suitable for a Civ III mod. You can find it here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=74507
    Not many new units would be needed, maybe 10-15 or so...

3. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Flamand, I found some more of the Rag Tag fleet ships, so you do not get off that easy.;) :D

@Flame, I am going to be doing the galactica mod. It will be based on the 1000 Yahren war. As you can't really do the escape of the Galactica from the Cylons in civ. And the new shows units will be 'upgrades' for the different fleets. :)

:nuke: Cheers, Thorgrimm :nuke:

4. Spacer One

Spacer One Avatar subject to change

You could make a small scenario that includes a victory point (ala EFZI) representing "Earth"...although if anyone watched in the 80s like I did...once they get to Earth, nothing is better...in fact they were better off fighting Cylons in space

5. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Won't work, as you have to hold the victory point squares. And to do it properly, everytime the Galactica moves on a Cylon would occupy the square.

As for Galactica 80, no REAL Galactica fan acknowledges the existence of such a travesty. For me, Galactica, TOS, ended with the episode, Hand of God.:D

So to make a fun mod based on the Galactica franchise, you would have to base it on a time period of when the Cylons and Colonials were roughly even in fleet strength, hence the 1000 Yarhen war.:)

:nuke: Cheers, Thorgrimm :nuke:

6. Spacer One

I was trying (albeit badly) to mock that spinoff...I didnt exaclt expect many people even to know what I was talking about...Kudos for that BTW...

G80 was like when they added marshmallows to fruit loops...just a bad idea done badly

7. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

I have to say the old one sure was funny....

"He's Waggling! He's WAAAAAAAAGLING!"

8. Iron Beagle

Iron Beagle Designated Marksman

That's great animation, but how are you going to use a spaceship in a game like civilization?

If anyone ever makes a Cylon centurion that would be great, I would definitely use that for something.

9. Spacer One

10. salty

salty Prince

This could just be the cranberry sauce talking, but they sort of look like cybernetic turkey drumsticks.

11. TheMorpheus

TheMorpheus Welcome to the real world

Awesome work :worship:
    Keep up the good work :D

12. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

you should make a capital ship

13. Iron Beagle

Iron Beagle Designated Marksman

The guy is right - there's no lasers on the Battlestar Galactica. Those are conventional guns firing projectiles. Good thing, too. Lasers are inefficient, overused in science fiction and not very good weapons except against targets like missiles and such. And frankly, although it's a little pretentious, I think the new show is a vast improvement over that godawfully cheesy original series.

14. flamescreen

flamescreen Ancient Mariner

Well, I am aware of that thread, and that's why I'm questioning.
    10-15 new ships don't seem too much, since if it involves humans and Cylons only, there wasn't much of a variety(Ah, I'm forgetting say, the pilot which actually had lots of different designs). Hm, on the other hand, you're doing the past, so there's room for many new designs. I'd start with not known designs, so the known ones(like Galactica itself) aren't available before at least the middle of it.

Wasn't Galactica 80 the one were human-shaped cylons(Centurions) were introduced?

15. Takeno

Takeno Kris Kringle

Great unit! Always nice to see some classic (Civ 3):egypt: units in this new age (Civ 4):scan: .

16. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Great work! :goodjob:

Will you make the new Cylon Basestar too?

17. Flamand

Flamand The Visible Elder!

I might consider it if I had the model in 3ds or Max format...

18. False Dead

False Dead Chieftain

They are not lasers or conventional cannons.
    They are Coil guns/Magnetic Acceleration Cannons. The old battlestar I think was the one that had lasers

19. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

The post you are replying to was left over One Thousand, Four-Hundred and Forty days ago (and then some). Safe to say that conversation ended way back then. :)

Tom

20. D.Durand

D.Durand Warlord

Yep, the old (and only i my case) had theses short "lasers" a lot of sci-fi shows and movies always had (look at star wars).

I don't think lasers are really so inefficients : They are invisibles (at least in space) and they can hit even little targets with precisions (for example all theses unarmored things a ship NEED to have : sensors, for examples)