1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BB-01 open succession game--fast space race

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by brasilbear, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

The Plan:

Pull Germany up into the Modern age and get there free tech, hoping they dont get rocketry. (we should have done so in the IT)

Rush SETI with our leader

Research Space flight in 4 and switch universal suffrage to apollo program. This wastes 400 shields or so but is still better than wasting 800 shields on Univ suffrage.
    I would also start new prebuilds for other parts of the spaceship oif possible.

Afterwards I would research fission for the uranium. I dont know yet what to research as third tech, once these two are finished. I will leave portugal to the next player. I will also pul up all the other guys for the minimal chance of them giving us ecology or such in time.

2. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Yep, that was the plan: gift Germany up interturn before the ToE completes, so that we can still pick another tech in case they get Computers as freebee. (See #209 and #223.) Now we have to keep our fingers crossed, that this glitch doesn't cost us 4 turns...

How about we start a new prebuild for Apollo and use this one for Longevity? I have the feeling that Longevity would be worth it in this games, as we still have many size 1 towns that need to grow to size 6 before they can be useful science farms.

Of course that would require Genetics as our next tech, and probably we can't get it done in 4 yet. (8500b is quite a difference from lets say 6400b for Recycling...)

Alternative: if we can do a cheap tech in 4 without SETI, just use this prebuild for SETI (should only take 5-6 more turns anyway) and keep the SGL for Longevity?

Just a few ideas without looking at the save. The final decision will of course require some precise calculations.

All that depends of course on what the Germans come up with. Let's hope they get Ecology or Fission... :please:
    If they get Ecology, we could now do the cheap Recycling without SETI and keep the SGL for Longevity.

3. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Germany got Fission and would trade it for Computers + Rocketry.

4. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

As far as 4turn research is concerned, we can manage space flight. genetics need a further 134 bpt, so Seti would be needed and i would have to set a few towns on deficit food to get more clowns.

We could also ignore our reputation by now and just kill portugal, but I doubt that changes anything fast enough to turn genetics into a 4turner.

5. Lanzelot

We can also do Ecology and Recycling in 4, before we need to tackle the big guns.
    So
    1. Space Flight and use the prebuild for Apollo
    2. Ecology and Recycling to save some cash
    3. Then the more expensive ones
    ?!

6. Lanzelot

BTW: forget my previous posts, I'm stupid: neither Recycling nor Genetics are required techs for the spaceship, so of course we won't research them (and consequently no chance for Longevity...)

So if I collect all the ideas we had so far, this would be the plan:
    1. Use SGL for SETI now
    2. Buy Fission from Germany
    3. Do Spaceflight in 4 and use current prebuild for Apollo (even if we waste a few shields here...)
    4. Then do Ecology and Nuclear Power. These are relatively cheap, so we should be able to do them in 4 and save a bit of cash for the more expensive ones. Also it'll give our science farms more time to grow.
    5. Undecided about Portugal. If they are able to fork out a decent gpt amount, then let's take the deals, if not swallow them as well.

7. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I just started playing. we have 3000 gp saved cash, so I dont expect too much problems on that from now on.

8. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Played the first 4 turns and it tajkes ages. I think I should just send the workers inbto hibernation insteadt of Roading all these mountains which nobody wants.

I have set a lot of cities on wonder prebuilds to be able to build spaceship parts as fast as possible, when they become available.

9. Lanzelot

Just make jungle and swamps fertile and irrigate&rail the science farms... If the workers are no longer needed, join them where it makes sense and just keep the slaves for pollution cleanup.

10. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Followed our advice and produced at least 20 more clowns, while most of france is now up to size.
    Last interturn took 10 minutes due to cultural expansion.

11. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Pre-Turn

Gift Germany up into the Modern Age, they get Fission *Pfew*
    Trade Fission for Rocketry and Computers

We have two source of Uranium, whoich I almost missed on my first check.

Switch Research to Space flight in 4 and Univ Suffrage to Palace to keep the prebuild alive long enough.
    Rush SETI Programm in Babylon

T3:
    Start a Worker Reintegration programm in france and India. Also Mongol deal for Ivory runs out and they pay 10 gpt.

T4:
    The Research Labs expand the borders of all cities, costing Portugal a couple of fields. I think I will get rid of them. They provide less money in total then one mongol deal brought.

I reset all taxmen to scientist and realize I can research Superconductors in 4 turns, so I do it. So no need tio get rid of the portoghese after all.

T8: Finish Superconductors start Nuclear Power at 70% to move forwards towards robotics.

Germany has started on the UN, and Porttugal on Universal suffrage, but I doubt they can finish before we win the game.

Handover:
    We have built 2 parts already and 3 more are running. 4 other cities are prebuildiing various wonders to be switched to spaceship parts later on.
    There are lots of units in place which can attack Portugal this turn if we want (Dont forget to cancel deals first) but we dont really need this.
    On the portughese southeastern border there is a stack of 4 settlers and 20 workers for use in case of an invasion. There are also lots of fortified slaves near our core and another stack in incaland.

From now we should be easily win, by just researching as fast as possible and having the necessary pprebuilds ready so play it as you like.

Attached Files:

12. Lanzelot

Ok, got it. Will play some time this weekend (and will later update this post with a short plan - if there is still a plan necessary at this point...)

13. Lanzelot

Looking at the situation. Looks very good: at 80% we are making 1900 bpt, enough to do almost every required tech in 4. The only tech over 8000 is Robotics at 8533, but that can be done last and shouldn't be a problem either.

All resources are connected.

So we only need to pay attention to the spaceship parts. 2 completed, 3 in production. 2 Pre-builds. (We need to finish the UN, the Germans are building it as well, and I don't want any nasty surprises... :D). I would say, we let Manhattan finish as well, and then we can use ICBMs as pre-builds. That should do.
    23 more turns until Robotics, unless the Germans manage to get Ecology done soon.

14. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I think we have more than enough money to check on the situation in germany regularly. And they have just started a few turn ago so i dont expect them to finish.

15. Lanzelot

Played 11 turns, as it fits better with our research cycle. The next player can do 12 or 8, depending on whether the Germans still discover Ecology for us in time.

Spoiler :
    Pre-Flight:
    I'm gifting the Germans incenses, gems, silks, furs, coal and 50gpt. (Should've done that already 10 turns ago...)

Move a galley to Arequipa and load a settler (and a few workers for Dijon, there's still land to be improved). Ship another settler to Atico, he can settle down by the uranium.

We don't need any more settlers, so I switch (almost) all currently in production to wealth (or missiles, if they already have too many shields).

Rush university in New Uruk (against culture flips).

Samarra switched from UN to Universal Sufferage (pre-build), and Niniveh from Airport to UN. I want that UN asap, no idea how far Salzburg already is. Perhaps I should send a spy?

OK, 89 turns, no danger...

T221, 1060AD:
    SS part #3: Fuel Cells.

The Germans start Manhattan.

T222, 1070AD:
    Push New Accad to 12 and rush a Police Station in order to get Iron Works done before the end of the game.

T223, 1080AD:
    Nuclear Power -> Satellites
    SS part #4: Life Support System

T224, 1090AD:
    SS part #5: Engine

T225, 1100AD:
    nada

T226, 1110AD:
    more nada

T227, 1120AD:
    Satellites -> Laser

SS part #6: Thrusters

Switch Accad from Palace to Manhattan.

T228, 1130AD:
    AccaD: Manhattan -> ICBM
    Germans switch the UN to Frankfurt.
    Much better than Salzburg, but still no danger:

T229, 1140AD:
    nada

T230, 1150AD:
    nada

T231, 1160AD:
    Laser -> Robotics

SS part #7: Party Lounge

Handover Notes:
    We have three more techs to go, that is 12 turns, or -- if the Germans come up with Ecology during the next 4 turns -- 8 turns.
    We also have three more parts to go:
    Stasis Chamber (320s) will be available with Robotics in 4 turns. Just use any of the many ICBMs we are currently building. There should be one with a sufficient number of shields.
    The other two, Exterior Casing (640s) and Storage/Supply (160s) will be available with Synthetic Fibers in 12 turns (8turns if the Germans cooperate). For Storage/Supply, one of the many ICBMs will again have enough shields. For Exterior Casing Ellipi is currently pre-building the Palace and will have collected 650s in 7 turns from now. So no matter whether we still need 12 turns or 8 turns until the end of the game, that pre-build will be ready.
    Just make sure, that you switch Ellipi and one of the ICBMs to the respective part in the same interturn after discovering Synthetic Fibers.

Because of the many ICBMs, we don't need any other prebuilds, so just let UN and Universal Sufferage complete in order to avoid any possible wonder cascade. (All 4 nations are currently building Universal Sufferage, and I didn't check the progress of all of them. Our wonders will finish in 7, and that will put an end to any worries about UN.)

16. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Pre-turn: Look around a bit, then hit 'enter'.

Turn 1 - MM a few cities that grew
    Turn 2 - ditto
    Turn 3 - lose Ivory. I don't bother re-buying it because our cities look happy enough without it.

Robots > Ecology
    UN and US get built.
    Turn 4 - We'll get Ecology in 4 @ 60%. Germany hasn't researched it :(

Turn 5 - Zzz...
    Maya want something...for us to trade Refining and 480 gold for Fascism. Uh, no.

Turn 6 - New Akkad completes Iron Works, for all the good it'll do us.
    Turn 7 - zzz...
    Ecology > Synth Fibers
    Turn 8 - It's late, so I'm going to hand this off. Victory is near!

17. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I am totally swamped at work, so nothing wont happen before the weekend and I cant guarantee this either. If somebody else wants tpo finish the game its fine with me too.

18. Lanzelot

Looks like there are only the three of us left?! I will be travelling to Baltrum this weekend, and then it's not yet clear, whether I'll find an internet caffee there. But if I do, and if no one has played it by then, I'll give it a try, let's say by middle of next week.

19. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Got it

20. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Preturn:
    Switch Hindana to Stasis Chamber in 3 turns
    Babylon is preparing for ^Storage in 4 turns and Ellipi is ready for Exterior casing also.

So lets get that thing over with.

1250 AD
    Uruk finishes its last tank, the next one will be built on Alpha centauri

1255 AD
    We finish a cruise missile and a radar artillery.

1260 AD
    lots of more military junk, and a SS Stasis chamber

1265 AD
    Finish Synthetic Fibers. I switch to F1 and select a city named babylon. Oops. Apparently it was named "Baby Lon". So I cycle thorugh 100 cities to get back to our core and switch Ellipi and Babylon to the corresponding builds.

We also build a lot of other stuff, but finally the launch screen comes up.

We have finished the game in 1265AD

Attached Files: