Be very careful with events.

Just to update you, because I know you're bursting to know. I lost this game. :sad:

After the ten turns of the peace treaty, I duly resumed combat with Russia. Immediately on me doing so, Pete refused to talk and he stubbornly remained mute for the remainder of the turns of his existence (brave man). Consequently, and unlike the situation before I obtained this precious (if totally useless) +1 relationship point with this *@~#! event, I was unable to pressurise him on relinquishing his techs to me. My spies got a couple of cheap ones, but I really needed Feudalism, Machinery and Engineering, which no other Civ would trade me. To cut a long story, another Civ declared war on me and it was obvious I was going to be squashed like the proverbial fly. I didn't have the stomach to continue. :(

Thanks, Dude. I knew about the "warmonger respect" and the various peace rates, but I didn't know about the capitulation mechanics - sounds quite confusing. Did DanF post this anywhere or was this in a PM? I'd like to read it myself.

There's a pretty solid discussion about it in bug reports in a threat I started "capitulating masters of vassals".

Edit @ other discussion: If you take cease fire rather than peace treaty, you can declare war 1 turn after peace if you really want. In civ IV. What you can't do is take a lot of goodies from war winnings (such as a tech or a ton of gold) and still get a cease fire rather than a treaty, but that's just for balance.

Just to update you, because I know you're bursting to know. I lost this game. :sad:

After the ten turns of the peace treaty, I duly resumed combat with Russia. Immediately on me doing so, Pete refused to talk and he stubbornly remained mute for the remainder of the turns of his existence (brave man). Consequently, and unlike the situation before I obtained this precious (if totally useless) +1 relationship point with this *@~#! event, I was unable to pressurise him on relinquishing his techs to me. My spies got a couple of cheap ones, but I really needed Feudalism, Machinery and Engineering, which no other Civ would trade me. To cut a long story, another Civ declared war on me and it was obvious I was going to be squashed like the proverbial fly. I didn't have the stomach to continue. :(

Well if you had the army to cream one guy, it could be enough to hold off another. Fighting a defensive war against an AI, even with numerical disadvantage often makes the AI realize this is taking too long and accept a peace (sometimes with goodies). And AI's unwilling to trade techs may do so in a peace deal (it takes alot though).

In Civ 2 at the very least, not sure about civ 3 but probably. Civ 4? No.

:mad::mad::mad: I remember Civ 2 when the AI ALWAYS did that! They got a "sneak attack" bonus too! AHHHH, so glad i moved on to Civ 4.

I've heard of warmonger respect but how much does it affect the game? Do warmonger respect vary between leaders? Or do they just get a base bonus for being a warmonger?

To cut a long story, another Civ declared war on me and it was obvious I was going to be squashed like the proverbial fly. I didn't have the stomach to continue. :(

Blackthorn27,

The way I fight my wars is to have my front lines packed with military units, but keep a few (or many) cities constantly replenishing the front lines with fresh troops. This permits me to make more daring attacks like, for example attacking at 60-70% instead of waiting the next turn for the seige weapons to finish bombarding the city, or even attacking a turn before my seige weapons show up. Also if I am supplying the front lines with new troops if I get attacked on another front I can divert the troops away from their destination of the old war, to the new destination intercepting the enemy in the new war.

Top Bottom