1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beefjack interview (Morocco hinted?)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Nujabes, Apr 14, 2013.

1. teriaky

teriaky Rich peasant

From what I know, Morocco actually considers itself as a Mediterranean island who was temporarily attached to Africa and refuse to be called Arabs(the same way the English prefer to think they are an island in the middle of the ocean rather then as europeans). They consider themselves as arabized Berbers.

Anyway, I would be so happy if they are included. They have all the characteristic of the leading civs (they had a big impact on the world, were more then once really powerful, were a cultural-powerhouse and made some important scientific developments).They could be in the 18 original civs. The only reason they weren't added earlier was because they were merged with Arabia.
    I would like a leader such as Yusuf ibn Tashfin, Ahmad al-Mansur, Abu Yusuf Yaqub al-Mansur or Abd al-Mu'min. (Except for the last one, they all have cool beard :D)
    For the unique unit, it has to be the Black Guard(who would replace the musketman). An additional unit could be a corsair.
    As for the unique ability, the Barbary Coast bonus should probably be theirs.

2. roguesaw

roguesaw Chieftain

Thanks nujabes, watched the Zulu one the last time you posted it. Been meaning to dig up the link again. Saves me some thread hunting. Good stuff.

3. PerceeP927

PerceeP927 Warlord

Most major moroccan cities are in the ottoman city list, so those will have to be transferred over

4. Evie94

Evie94 Warlord

well, maybe my friend is an ethnic arab or something...she and her family are quite proud to identify as Arabic....maybe its a fringe movement?

5. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

There are none in Ottoman city list. The Ottoman city list regrettably just represents modern Turkey. Even if the Ottoman city list would represent Ottoman empire, there were not much cities in overlap with Morocco/Almoravids/Almohads.

6. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Casablanca and Marrakesh are in the Arab city list (though Marrakesh is probably removed when it became a CS)

7. PerceeP927

PerceeP927 Warlord

Then maybe I saw them in the Arabia list? I've seen Fez ingame for sure

8. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Breakthrough in Moroccan's likelyhood

(The strange improvement next to Trading Post on the Civ 5/XCOM poster)

9. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Prince

Fez is in the Arab city list, I should know, as I just founded it.

10. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Fez is in Arabia list: look here

11. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

Saffron could be the unique resource tied to them? perhaps.

12. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Al Kahina was also the mother of the brothers who invaded Iberia and split Morocco from the caliphate. I mentioned in the earlier discussion on Morocco that it would be a little weird to see Kahina as the leader (considering she was probably Jewish, fought against the Arabs until she was beheaded, was a Berber leader rather than the more famous timeperiod of Morocco). She is apparently a symbol of Berber power though so the question on her being Jewish might not be that large of an issue

13. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Prince

Through much of their history the Berbers weren't affiliated with one single religion, different tribes variably followed Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Berber Mythology.

14. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, Morocco would not a city-state, right? The city-state would just be the name of a city, like Marrakesh.

Cordoba seemed a bit more intersting to me, and perhaps Saladin could have made a return with the Ayyubids, but this works.

15. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

I didn't see any pictures of Kahina yet in this thread (sorry if its been posted already, only skimmed the first page and this page so far)

But she could probably get in as another female leader in this expansion, she is called the Boudicca of the desert and was one hell of a fighter (Killed many, she razed her people's own cities in one of the craziest scorch earth campaigns in history, and set the future for Morocco)

16. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

yea if the french spearman attacked Marrakech in that game then he would not have "Moroccan" in front of warrior because that is really specific and normal people don't know the link between morroco and marrakech.

17. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Hasn't it been said that the archaeology system would play a role in the Scramble for Africa scenario? Since it's pretty certain Morocco will feature in that scenario, couldn't this example be taken from that?

EDIT: Good point someone raised regarding spears.

18. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I've actually thought that of the minor flavourful things they could and should do with city-states is to give them the appropriate national name in tooltips etc. (e.g. a Yerevan unit would be an Armenian Warrior or whatever).

19. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Check this video out. At around the 38:00 minute mark, they talk about Morocco's gold dinars. Tell me that doesn't plant the seeds for a faith/trade combo UA!

Link to video.

20. flairin

flairin Prince

Failing to see the link between Morocco and both Arabia and the Ottomans... They are all quite distinct, no??