Beefjack interview (Morocco hinted?)

she was a Berber queen as far as I know, ruled in what is now Algeria, was then Numidia. not really appropriate for Morocco, particularly as (my gfs Moroccan friend tells me) ethnic Moroccans consider themselves Arabic as a kind of loyalty and NOT Berber

From what I know, Morocco actually considers itself as a Mediterranean island who was temporarily attached to Africa and refuse to be called Arabs(the same way the English prefer to think they are an island in the middle of the ocean rather then as europeans). They consider themselves as arabized Berbers.

Anyway, I would be so happy if they are included. They have all the characteristic of the leading civs (they had a big impact on the world, were more then once really powerful, were a cultural-powerhouse and made some important scientific developments).They could be in the 18 original civs. The only reason they weren't added earlier was because they were merged with Arabia.
I would like a leader such as Yusuf ibn Tashfin, Ahmad al-Mansur, Abu Yusuf Yaqub al-Mansur or Abd al-Mu'min. (Except for the last one, they all have cool beard :D)
For the unique unit, it has to be the Black Guard(who would replace the musketman). An additional unit could be a corsair.
As for the unique ability, the Barbary Coast bonus should probably be theirs.

Thanks nujabes, watched the Zulu one the last time you posted it. Been meaning to dig up the link again. Saves me some thread hunting. Good stuff.

Most major moroccan cities are in the ottoman city list, so those will have to be transferred over

From what I know, Morocco actually considers itself as a Mediterranean island who was temporarily attached to Africa and refuse to be called Arabs(the same way the English prefer to think they are an island in the middle of the ocean rather then as europeans). They consider themselves as arabized Berbers.

well, maybe my friend is an ethnic arab or something...she and her family are quite proud to identify as Arabic....maybe its a fringe movement?

Most major moroccan cities are in the ottoman city list, so those will have to be transferred over

There are none in Ottoman city list. The Ottoman city list regrettably just represents modern Turkey. Even if the Ottoman city list would represent Ottoman empire, there were not much cities in overlap with Morocco/Almoravids/Almohads.

There are none in Ottoman city list. The Ottoman city list regrettably just represents modern Turkey. Even if the Ottoman city list would represent Ottoman empire, there were not much cities in overlap with Morocco/Almoravids/Almohads.

Then maybe I saw them in the Arabia list? I've seen Fez ingame for sure

Breakthrough in Moroccan's likelyhood

I would like to point out that an particular style of house in North Africa is called the Riad and they have interior courtyards not unlike what you see in that central building. Morocco has riads.

(The strange improvement next to Trading Post on the Civ 5/XCOM poster)

Al Kahina was also the mother of the brothers who invaded Iberia and split Morocco from the caliphate. I mentioned in the earlier discussion on Morocco that it would be a little weird to see Kahina as the leader (considering she was probably Jewish, fought against the Arabs until she was beheaded, was a Berber leader rather than the more famous timeperiod of Morocco). She is apparently a symbol of Berber power though so the question on her being Jewish might not be that large of an issue

Well, Morocco would not a city-state, right? The city-state would just be the name of a city, like Marrakesh.

Cordoba seemed a bit more intersting to me, and perhaps Saladin could have made a return with the Ayyubids, but this works.

I didn't see any pictures of Kahina yet in this thread (sorry if its been posted already, only skimmed the first page and this page so far)

But she could probably get in as another female leader in this expansion, she is called the Boudicca of the desert and was one hell of a fighter (Killed many, she razed her people's own cities in one of the craziest scorch earth campaigns in history, and set the future for Morocco)

Well if you wanted a Pre-Islamic Berber Civ, Al-Kahina would be for you. Many say she was originally Jewish and her tribe was Jewish, so it would be weird though to see the Berbers/Morocco under a Jewish standard renowned for fighting against the Arabs:

yea if the french spearman attacked Marrakech in that game then he would not have "Moroccan" in front of warrior because that is really specific and normal people don't know the link between morroco and marrakech.

So is it an error or is Morocco confirmed?

Hasn't it been said that the archaeology system would play a role in the Scramble for Africa scenario? Since it's pretty certain Morocco will feature in that scenario, couldn't this example be taken from that?

EDIT: Good point someone raised regarding spears.

The fact that it said "Moroccan" is rather strange, I went in game and placed Marrakech in-game, and the tooltip for Marrakech warrior said "Marrakech Warrior, not Moroccan Warrior, so the likelyhood of Moroccan is... likely.

I've actually thought that of the minor flavourful things they could and should do with city-states is to give them the appropriate national name in tooltips etc. (e.g. a Yerevan unit would be an Armenian Warrior or whatever).

Failing to see the link between Morocco and both Arabia and the Ottomans... They are all quite distinct, no??

Top Bottom