best opening strategy

bkrice

Chieftain
I have read on the forums before that worker worker settler is the best way to open up. Now im reading worker let city grow to cap then start pumping out workers and settlers. Which is best? Reason i ask is cause when i try to let city grow first it seems i can't keep up with ai. May just be me tho.

Now im reading worker let city grow to cap then start pumping out workers and settlers.

This one (looks like you've found snaaty thread, the answer to your question)

though sometimes tempted to substitute your word "cap" with "resources"

It depends on the start. You want to be able to work your high yeild tiles in order to produce your settlers and workers, but sometimes the rng/map generator doesn't always cooperate with a set in stone strategy.

No set strategy, but I would say in probably 90% of games, I'll go worker then warriors or possibly workboats depending on whether or not coastal to size 3 or 4, followed by another worker & settler.

Very map dependent though. Sometimes if there's a choice spot nearby you can chop that settler out at size 2, or if you find you're likely isolated, you can wait awhile to settle the land.

I usually do try to chop out second worker and both workers chop out settler. My problem last game may have been starting location wasn't that great and it took forever for capital to grow to happy cap.

I have read on the forums before that worker worker settler is the best way to open up. Now im reading worker let city grow to cap then start pumping out workers and settlers. Which is best? Reason i ask is cause when i try to let city grow first it seems i can't keep up with ai. May just be me tho.

IF you start with mining then worker.....>settler is the best opening.

Worker>Worker>Settler are the most important builds, but in almost all cases they should not be build right after eachother.

9 out of 10 games you worker is your first build, in the other 1 game its workboat there is probably a .5 number of games where warrior might be a first build, but ignore that for this suggestion.

After that worker, you build something else, most of the time its warrior until you the cap gets to size 3 or 4, this depends on what the land/resources is like.You could possibly build something else instead of warrior in very few cases like for example a granary, but again dont worry about that right now.So once your at size 3 or 4 you build another worker sometimes you might build the settler before the worker, this you would do at size 3 or 4 just like you would have done with the worker.

You can build settler first in cases where you might need that site fast, this may be for blocking or may be because its a strategic resource that is close to a neighbour which you believe that if you wait you will lose that site to the neighbour.

So let's say you went worker at size 3 or 4. then at size 4 or 5 you build a settler.Whatever your second main build was, you usually want to grow at least once before you build another thing that will stop the city from growing.

What's the deal with worker-worker-settler? Is that for when your capital only has 1 useful tile and you want to chop the shizzle out of your bfc?

My usual opening is worker>(improve 1 special or pl. mine)>settler, by turn 25-30 or so I'm founding city 2 in most cases. waiting to grow rarely improves your settler time very much, and barbs almost never attack even undefended cities b4 turn 40 (deity +standard settings). waiting to grow 1 pop might take 10 turns, and unless your second improved tile is a mine, the settler still takes about the same amount of time to build. on deity the Ai starts with 2 settlers and almost always builds a 3rd as it's 1st build. So getting a premium 2nd city site may be tough if you delay expansion too much...

You almost can't go wrong by building a worker first, in order to improve the food resources & mines around your capital to help it grow and produce stuff faster.

Occasionally folks will build workboats to get fish (usually regarded as better than clams/crabs) or do weird stuff when their leader traits give %production bonus to settlers and workers. But the basic start is to build a worker and start improving your capital BFC ASAP.

Build a unit and research the appropriate technology.

I would like to agree with TMIT, however I should add that settling a city should be done before building a unit and researching the appropriate technology.

I would like to agree with TMIT, however I should add that settling a city should be done before building a unit and researching the appropriate technology.

Thanks for pointing out the completely obvious, since settlers can neither research technologies nor build units.

What's the deal with worker-worker-settler? Is that for when your capital only has 1 useful tile and you want to chop the shizzle out of your bfc?
It probably harks back to the day when vanilla civ iv came out. There are some threads on it somewhere.

My usual opening is worker>(improve 1 special or pl. mine)>settler, by turn 25-30 or so I'm founding city 2 in most cases. waiting to grow rarely improves your settler time very much, and barbs almost never attack even undefended cities b4 turn 40 (deity +standard settings). waiting to grow 1 pop might take 10 turns, and unless your second improved tile is a mine, the settler still takes about the same amount of time to build. on deity the Ai starts with 2 settlers and almost always builds a 3rd as it's 1st build. So getting a premium 2nd city site may be tough if you delay expansion too much...

I saw in one of your online games that your first build in the second city was a worker, which something I very rarely do. I guess this is because you build your first settler before you build a second worker. That right?

Now that i think about it the worker worker settler probably was for vanilla civ! I played it back then and quit for a while. I just thought the same strategy might apply to bts.

I saw in one of your online games that your first build in the second city was a worker, which something I very rarely do. I guess this is because you build your first settler before you build a second worker. That right?

I'd have to go back and check why I did it in that game specifically, are you referring to the keshik game?. sometimes I go for 3 workers + 2 cities right away, in that case city 2 build 1 would be a worker. But that's not usually the case though. In my cap after settling city 2, I normally build 2-3 warriors and a worker at size 2, then settler,settler at size 2-4 depending on tiles+situation. city 2 would normally build barracks or granary or library or a perhaps units.

I'd have to go back and check why I did it in that game specifically, are you referring to the keshik game?. sometimes I go for 3 workers + 2 cities right away, in that case city 2 build 1 would be a worker. But that's not usually the case though. In my cap after settling city 2, I normally build 2-3 warriors and a worker at size 2, then settler,settler at size 2-4 depending on tiles+situation. city 2 would normally build barracks or granary or library or a perhaps units.

Yeah it was the Keshik game.

Thanks for the info. Balancing REX and improvements is something I'm still trying improve.

Top Bottom