Votes: 59 8.5%
  • Civ IV (Vanilla)

Votes: 320 46.0%
  • Civ Rev

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Civ V (Vanilla)

Votes: 186 26.8%

• Total voters
This is hard for me, I have owed and played every version, except Rev.

1. Civ 1, no game as ever consumed as much time as that game did. However while it graphics where State of the ART for strategy games going back to that version hurts my eyes today.
It had a complete civilipodia, a complete manual, and hardly any patches

2. MoM, not on the poll but it was the fanatasful equovental, although it had some serious bugs in it. Maybe it should be lower.

3. Fall from Heaven

4. Civ 2

5 Civ 4

6 Civ 3

7 Civ 5, I just think they might have taken out way too much, So what if religion made diplomacy predictable atleast you knew where you stood with the AI

The best version is Civ II, without a doubt. Best Civ EVER. Felt perfect from the first time I've played. The music, oh the music. I miss the music and animaed advisors so much. The futuristic theme was the best. I remember playing Hotseat WWI with friends almost everyday. AWESOME. Then Civ III came and blowed my mind. Took me some time to realized how flawed it was. I still could take some gratification from it. And Civ IV restaured part of the feeling I've got with Civ II and I. (In the mean time I had some good fun with CTP I and II). Warlords and BTS were good bonus, but not game changing like some here claim. Vanilla Civ IV was awesome all by itself.

Then came Civ V fiasco and I'm on hold waiting to see if they can fix it. Man, what a disapointment. And Civ I was the game that brought me into gaming.
BTW, Civ I was magical, being able to hold the attention of a 9 years old while having a bug that prevented me to use the mouse pointer in the rigth side of the screen. Hot keys FTW!!! And Civ II was a improvement in every aspect. Imagine that.

I did not read all the posts since the question is clear.
Civ5 has more potential than any other civ.

I actually have a very long memory &-though I acknowledge that other people had problems with Civ4 vanilla-I most certainly had no issues with the game "out of the box". Not since Civ2 did a game give me so many long hours of game pleasure-it was also the game that got me into both modding & multi-player, which is no small feat. As for Civ5, I *want* to love it, & there are things about it that I *know* can make it great, but right now it simply isn't doing anything for me! Maybe if I buy Babylon & grab the Mongols, play the patched game etc etc, then maybe it will feel better than in the first few days I played it. Even if thats all true, though, that still puts it *behind* Civ4 in terms of sheer "out of the box" enjoyment value!

Aussie.

EDIT: Oops, sorry. I did have *one* problem with the game-but it wasn't the fault of the game. I bought a brand new computer to run Civ4 on, & there was something wrong with the video card-I know it was the video card because I had an identical problem with a number of other high graphics intensity games. I was able to get a free replacement for the card, though, & the game worked *perfectly* after that. I only had that problem for about 3 days!

I did not read all the posts since the question is clear.
Civ5 has more potential than any other civ.

Yes, the question is clear: Best Civ Ever?

Which is why it's surprising that you seemed to have missed it. I personally think Civ 6 has much more potential than Civ 5, unless you include potential to destroy the reputation of the series.

I voted for Civ II since it gave me more pleasure than any other game in the series, and I've played them all since the beginning. But I honestly think I might like Civ V (properly patched and balanced) better than any other version of the game. It's different from Civ IV, not inferior.

I liked Civ III at the time it was published because it was new, but in retrospect there were so many things wrong with it. I'd put it at the bottom as worst Civ game.

I don't really see the point of only including Vanilla versions... other than Civ1, until civ5, I haven't played any civ game prior to the expansions being released.

It would be like comparing a cookie, and a half cooked cookie.

It would be like comparing a cookie, and a half cooked cookie.

Except in this situation, we have several cookies.

Chocolate chip (Fully cooked)
Raisin (Fully cooked)
Oatmeal (Fully cooked)
Peanut Butter (Fully Cooked)
Mint (Half cooked)

All the cookies are fully cooked except for the mint cookie, but we're going to compare the half cooked mint cookie to what the other cookies would be like if they weren't fully cooked.

I honestly think that CIV V vanilla is superior to CIV IV vanilla. With that said, obviously CIV IV BTS is even more superior to CIV V vanilla. And with that also said, it is safe to say that in 2 more years (after 2 more expanisions), CIV V (& expansions) will be even more superior than CIV IV BTS.

I will also admit that CIV V vanilla is still very buggy & needs AI improvements. These should hopefully be addressed in the next month or two. Boom.

Civ 5, I just think they might have taken out way too much, So what if religion made diplomacy predictable atleast you knew where you stood with the AI

Oh, and I definitely agree with this. CIV V's diplomacy seems like a step back.

Oh, and I definitely agree with this. CIV V's diplomacy seems like a step back.

No, it's a decided step forward - much more sophisticated than many realize. Now the AI civs react to what you actually do and are rather good at realizing what you are up to, and how trustworthy you are. If, for example, you enter alliances of secrecry with everyone against everyone, the AI leaders know about it and regard you as an unreliable so-and-so, especially if you then make joint research agreements with a civ you had promised to isolate through a pact of secrecy. (They seem to be less severe about trade deals.) If you attack someone you made an agreement of cooperation with, that is exceedingly bad form. If you embark on a campaign for a domination victory, they get wise to that pretty swiftly too. If, on the other hand, you keep your word, and not least if you only fight wars for limited ends (getting a too pushy and aggressive neighbour off your back, but without exterminating him, for example), that is also noted. In Civ V, your acts actually have consequences. Forming war alliances against a third country, doing nothing and then, in the middle of the war, betraying your ally is not quite the winning concept it is in Civ IV. (I always thought it was pretty crummy and was incredulous at all the posters who bragged about winning that way.)

I suspect that in order to be willing to enter a mutual defence alliance with you, an AI civ must be absolutely convinced that you are trustworthy and that if it is attacked, you will go all out to help it instead of just sitting on the sideline watching, which was almost the rule in Civ IV.

Amazingly, some posters who claim that Civ V is simplistic are annoyed because they can't find out what a civ leader thinks of you simply by resting the cursor on its leaderhead. Instead, you have to consider your own acts in the past to everybody and the impression they leave, as well as the relations between the AI leaders. The comments the leaders make during negotiations, and the words they greet you with, are not random either.

One of the biggest problems with Civ V is that the AI leaders don't know how to fight wars with the new system. Any machine can build a zillion units and just throw them at you; but to have a limited number of units which should be carefully nursed and sent out to battle in proper formation (with troops behind the cats/trebs/cannon as well as before them, to avoid ambushes) demands sophistication of a rather higher order. At present the AI seems to know how to do that when attacking a city state, but not during wars of greater scope. I'm sure the team at Firaxis are working on that.

Öjevind Lång;9826696 said:
No, it's a decided step forward - much more sophisticated than many realize. Now the AI civs react to what you actually do and are rather good at realizing what you are up to, and how trustworthy you are. If, for example, you enter alliances of secrecry with everyone against everyone, the AI leaders know about it and regard you as an unreliable so-and-so, especially if you then make joint research agreements with a civ you had promised to isolate through a pact of secrecy. (They seem to be less severe about trade deals.) If you attack someone you made an agreement of cooperation with, that is exceedingly bad form. If you embark on a campaign for a domination victory, they get wise to that pretty swiftly too. If, on the other hand, you keep your word, and not least if you only fight wars for limited ends (getting a too pushy and aggressive neighbour off your back, but without exterminating him, for example), that is also noted. In Civ V, your acts actually have consequences.
Ah yes. In Civ4 there was no consequences at all, got it.
Forming war alliances against a third country, doing nothing and then, in the middle of the war, betraying your ally is not quite the winning concept it is in Civ IV. (I always thought it was pretty crummy and was incredulous at all the posters who bragged about winning that way.)
I know. What was the Stalin thinking?
I suspect that in order to be willing to enter a mutual defence alliance with you, an AI civ must be absolutely convinced that you are trustworthy and that if it is attacked, you will go all out to help it instead of just sitting on the sideline watching, which was almost the rule in Civ IV.
I like you're use of word "suspect" - because I too have never been able to enter alliance with other AI regardless of how fair game and helpful I was to them. On the contrary - whatever good you'll do to the AI (like... Liberating them?) they'll end up hating you anyway. Possibly it was because instead of losing the game I was leading in some of the demographics.
Amazingly, some posters who claim that Civ V is simplistic are annoyed because they can't find out what a civ leader thinks of you simply by resting the cursor on its leaderhead. Instead, you have to consider your own acts in the past to everybody and the impression they leave, as well as the relations between the AI leaders. The comments the leaders make during negotiations, and the words they greet you with, are not random either.
Amazingly, some posters who defend Civ5 diplomacy think that in Civ4 if you've rested your cursor over a leader's name you knew what were they thinking about you.

I don't know about those "some posters" you're talking about, but I claim that Civ5 is simplistic in not fun way because your diplomatic choices are largely irrelevant. It doesn't matter what you do, if you'll cave in to them while disregard their blatant aggressive settling or army-waving they'll not declare on you for a bit longer. Game forces you to do warfare, and that's not fun.
Ah, and I'm bored to death to hear same phrases over and over again (Bismarck "auf intressen", Washington "trade of interest to you" etc), as well as watching their ugly mugs to see if they like me or not - and the thing that it doesn't really matter because it they're your neighbours they will come for you doesn't help either.

One of the biggest problems with Civ V is that the AI leaders don't know how to fight wars with the new system. Any machine can build a zillion units and just throw them at you; but to have a limited number of units which should be carefully nursed and sent out to battle in proper formation (with troops behind the cats/trebs/cannon as well as before them, to avoid ambushes) demands sophistication of a rather higher order. At present the AI seems to know how to do that when attacking a city state, but not during wars of greater scope. I'm sure the team at Firaxis are working on that.
In my opinion biggest problem with Civ5 is that it's BORING. None of the previous civ games was putting me off like two weeks after I've played them. That there's no real choices, terrain doesn't matter and it's either army grind against braindead AI (I agree with you on this one) or clicking next turn all the time.

Ah yes. In Civ4 there was no consequences at all, got it.

I know. What was the Stalin thinking?

I like you're use of word "suspect" - because I too have never been able to enter alliance with other AI regardless of how fair game and helpful I was to them. On the contrary - whatever good you'll do to the AI (like... Liberating them?) they'll end up hating you anyway. Possibly it was because instead of losing the game I was leading in some of the demographics.

Amazingly, some posters who defend Civ5 diplomacy think that in Civ4 if you've rested your cursor over a leader's name you knew what were they thinking about you.

I don't know about those "some posters" you're talking about, but I claim that Civ5 is simplistic in not fun way because your diplomatic choices are largely irrelevant. It doesn't matter what you do, if you'll cave in to them while disregard their blatant aggressive settling or army-waving they'll not declare on you for a bit longer. Game forces you to do warfare, and that's not fun.
Ah, and I'm bored to death to hear same phrases over and over again (Bismarck "auf intressen", Washington "trade of interest to you" etc), as well as watching their ugly mugs to see if they like me or not - and the thing that it doesn't really matter because it they're your neighbours they will come for you doesn't help either.

In my opinion biggest problem with Civ5 is that it's BORING. None of the previous civ games was putting me off like two weeks after I've played them. That there's no real choices, terrain doesn't matter and it's either army grind against braindead AI (I agree with you on this one) or clicking next turn all the time.

1. In Civ IV you could get away with almost anything because of the predictability of the AI leaders. Just push the right button, and you were home free. I don't know what Stalin was thinking, and I find it less than relevant in this discussion.
2. I've never tried to form a mutual defence pact with any leader because I never saw the point in it. It would have entailed obligations I was not ready to assume. As I said, in Civ V you have to be *real* and not just say one thing and do another. All the same, I am fairly certain Montezuma (in more than one game) was interested in entering into a pact of mutual support and conquest with me, no doubt lasting until we were the last men standing. But I don't like playing domination games, so I never tried wooing him back to the same extent.
3. I think a big problem with being able to "liberate" leaders of other civs (not city states) is that, as you say, they simply take up where they left off ages ago and probably will hate you. I think that once a leader of a major civ is dead, he or she should stay dead. I hope they tweak the game so that happens. I also think there should be a very slow process of assimilation - maybe two thousand years, four thousand years - after which a captured city simply becomes part of your civilization.
4. You could tell what a civ leader in Civ IV was thinking about you by resting your cursor on the leaderhead. More precisely, you could tell where he was heading. Going from "friendly" to "pleased" to "cautious" to "annoyed", as a rule because you were becoming too powerful or too successful. It was, as you perfectly well know, extremely easy to know an AI leader's attitude to you. It was all very simplistic. There were a few exceptions - Catherine was ready to backstab you at any time no matter how pleased she was, Gandhi would never attack you and Shaka and Montezuma could go from pleased to furious at the drop of a hat; but their respective mentalities were well known and hence also very predictable. And their actions were often quite stupid, like Shaka or Montezuma sending a huge army across an entire continent simply to bug you because you were the militarily weakest civ on that continent. They hardly ever gained much from it, but you knew they were going to do it.
5. The diplomatic choices in Civ V are far from irrelevant. I know that from having played the game and tried various strategies.
6. I agree that the vocabulary of the various leaders should be enlarged, though it's not high up on my list of priorities.
7. I also agree that the terrain should entail more penalties. Charging uphill with cavalry should, for example, not go unpunished.
8. I don't think that Civ V is simplistic or that there are no choices, and I definitely don't regard it as boring, though it does need more patches and balance tweaks. Clearly, we disagree about that. It's no big deal.

Why is it amazing? Do you realise that that is pretty much exactly how civ4 leader attitudes work? Apart from very limited hidden planning, like preparing for war over the course of several turns, most of the actions taken by AIs were caused by a combination of their overall attitude towards you (which could very by a few points due to hidden modifiers, but not by much) and just random dice rolls.

Of course it wasn't completely predictable because of the dice rolls, but that doesn't mean there was actually any thinking going on.

Dont know what it is, but #1 was the best. Everything is based on that beautifully complex game (ofcourse today it would look silly, but back then... wow)
#2 was definately an upgrade. Personally I played tons of Test of Times. Tons of ToT. Never looked back
#3 Was.. mmm ... not my cup of tea. Used to play a lot of multiplayer at the time, but 3 never really caught on, and we were back at TOT
#4 Was a revelation. Never has a game come sooo close to "The Perfect Game" (IMO). Never looked back at Civ III
#5 Was the biggest disappointment. The game itself isnt that bad (take away the bugs and put an AI into the game, plus adding a bit more substance). But the fact that it wasnt an UPGRADE but a DOWNGRADE of Civ IV (BtS) was (IMHO) the reason why it was recieved this way.

Civ IV can easily be described as the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Why is it amazing? Do you realise that that is pretty much exactly how civ4 leader attitudes work? Apart from very limited hidden planning, like preparing for war over the course of several turns, most of the actions taken by AIs were caused by a combination of their overall attitude towards you (which could very by a few points due to hidden modifiers, but not by much) and just random dice rolls.

Of course it wasn't completely predictable because of the dice rolls, but that doesn't mean there was actually any thinking going on.

I was all for the removal of transparent diplomacy modifiers, but that does *not* mean that I agree with the totally Opaque &-quite frankly-random seeming diplomatic system they've adopted for Civ5. It simply is the case that it *feels* like nothing you do actually matters. It would at least be nice if you got some kind of reminder of the things you've done for/to the AI, & some kind of idea of whether that's had a positive or negative influence on their view of you-*without* revealing the specific +/-. As it currently stands, the AI feels as random as it was in Civ3, which is *Not* a good thing!!!!

I was all for the removal of transparent diplomacy modifiers, but that does *not* mean that I agree with the totally Opaque &-quite frankly-random seeming diplomatic system they've adopted for Civ5. It simply is the case that it *feels* like nothing you do actually matters. It would at least be nice if you got some kind of reminder of the things you've done for/to the AI, & some kind of idea of whether that's had a positive or negative influence on their view of you-*without* revealing the specific +/-. As it currently stands, the AI feels as random as it was in Civ3, which is *Not* a good thing!!!!
I've been hammering this point since day 0. Just because you do not want a fully disclosed and quantified description of the AI feeling towards you, there is not need to go full reverse and simply don't say anything. This is even worse since civ V does not have a easily acessible tab with a compreensive list of the events in the game like previous versions of civ did, that would help making this less of a fault... c'mon, even civ III diplo advisor was more useful in this regard than civ V one :p

Top Bottom