BETA: 1.25

Still figuring all that out but I wouldn't want Right of Passage or Non-Aggression to cause such penalties. Makes sense for the higher level deals though.
On the other hand, the base game had a nice diplomatic trade off in place where you would generally want to trade with everyone for the best economic output, but could not always do so because civ A hated civ B and you needed to stay on A's good side for some reason. It added some interesting wrinkles to diplomacy especially if A was more threatening but B offered more lucrative trade routes. Considering that trade routes are free income for each city, there should at least some diplomatic cost to keeping them.

Edit: especially considering the requirement for Trade Agreements, it would be a shame if this kind of diplomacy would only enter into the question in the mid game.

Hoping that this prevent the AI going unhappy from repeating denying request: go to war.
Oh, I hadn't even considered this implication. I suppose the war preparation trade entirely replaces a go to war request?

Need a better name than 'Trade Agreement'. Suggestions welcome. Note that these deals are all available regardless of Civic choice, so things like 'Free Trade Zone' won't work.

Hoping that this prevent the AI going unhappy from repeating denying request: go to war.

Oh, I hadn't even considered this implication. I suppose the war preparation trade entirely replaces a go to war request?

Would make sense for War Preparations to replace War Demands for civs with that have Co-operation or Defensive Pacts. I think it should still exist for elsewhere though.

On the other hand, the base game had a nice diplomatic trade off in place where you would generally want to trade with everyone for the best economic output, but could not always do so because civ A hated civ B and you needed to stay on A's good side for some reason. It added some interesting wrinkles to diplomacy especially if A was more threatening but B offered more lucrative trade routes. Considering that trade routes are free income for each city, there should at least some diplomatic cost to keeping them.

Edit: especially considering the requirement for Trade Agreements, it would be a shame if this kind of diplomacy would only enter into the question in the mid game.

Good points. I haven't given much thought to the tech requirements for each deal level btw, will likely change.

Need a better name than 'Trade Agreement'. Suggestions welcome. Note that these deals are all available regardless of Civic choice, so things like 'Free Trade Zone' won't work.

How about:
Trade Rights. / Approval for trade activity. Like allow merchants and they conpanies to establishes trading and routes.
Trade Co operation / Sets of rules and agreements. Like standardize trade giving it government control and oversee.
Trade Alliance / Co operative Trade Supervision / Sharing the trade Infrastructure? Like Cooperation between corporations.Or police supervision against tax leaks.

Something else: How ships are marked in can pas borders? Privateers are clear. But unprotected transport loaded whit troops...

Fights between two enemies on territory of neutral are still approved?

So i really hope the peace agreement, stop AI asking, that i declare war to someone i dint want to. And they dint become unhappy because of this. Or they auto get -1 attitude because i cant or because they try ask and action denied every time.

when i fight whit coop and defend Ali city or have units in are i getting +attitude? (maybe just one point per protected city no multiple stacking. Disable when war end and get +1 on time We fight together (oh there is something like that))

The download is updated whit late patch right?

What's wrong with Trade Agreement, other than the fact that trade is enabled by the previous tier? If that is your concern, how about Trade Agreement / Open Markets / Common Market, or substitute Right of Passage for Trade Agreement if you prefer. Open Markets in such a case would be traditional bilateral trade agreements that include mutually lowered tariffs and the like, while Common Market is NAFTA / the EU and the like.

Something else: How ships are marked in can pas borders? Privateers are clear. But unprotected transport loaded whit troops...

Ships that can carry military units are considered military units themselves and will not have Right of Passage. They'll require one of the Military Pacts.

Fights between two enemies on territory of neutral are still approved?

Yes. None of the proposed deals will affect this as far as I'm aware.

So i really hope the peace agreement, stop AI asking, that i declare war to someone i dint want to. And they dint become unhappy because of this. Or they auto get -1 attitude because i cant or because they try ask and action denied every time.

Which agreement are you referring to here?

when i fight whit coop and defend Ali city or have units in are i getting +attitude?

No. That's beyond the scope of these changes, at least for now.

The download is updated whit late patch right?

No.

What's wrong with Trade Agreement, other than the fact that trade is enabled by the previous tier?

Partly that, partly it sounded too generic. I'm starting to warm to it again though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Which agreement are you referring to here?

Agreement to not declare war. I have it whit subject A. But subject B asking me to declare war against A. Previously they got -1 attitude for every denied request. So will the non aggression treaty prevent them from asking and going unhappy towards me? Other like B asking to cancel treaty whit A will still give -1 attitude, or they will be protected to?
Or it will be automatically like "We the B, are upset, because You have that treaty whit A." , "You are in alliance whit A!" , "You are the same as our Worst Enemy."

Agreement to not declare war. I have it whit subject A. But subject B asking me to declare war against A. Previously they got -1 attitude for every denied request. So will the non aggression treaty prevent them from asking and going unhappy towards me? Other like B asking to cancel treaty whit A will still give -1 attitude, or they will be protected to?
Or it will be automatically like "We the B, are upset, because You have that treaty whit A." , "You are in alliance whit A!" , "You are the same as our Worst Enemy."

Okay, I see what you mean. I think the second situation you describe would be preferable.

Just letting you all know that I am still working on this, it's just taking a while. ~75% done. I seem to have a real talent for starting something complicated and then have life go crazy busy on me.

Last edited:
This is all absolutely fantastic! The expanded soundtrack alone adds a ton of enjoyment for me, to say nothing of everything else you've added.

Not sure if this is a known problem, or me misinterpreting something, but in my most recent game on Windows (Windows Earth map, Brazil/Dom Pedro, Noble, Epic) I suddenly gained contact with a bunch of old world civs despite not encountering any of their territory or units. Just from the timing, it looks like might have something to do with their founding religions? I can provide the save file if it'd be helpful.

Hi Xyth, you are not alone. I remembering to how thinks can go crazy. I remembering opening office program in order to write.
"Okeyyyyyy, lets do this. Lets write!"
*One line written. Or sometimes only half of line written*
Emergency orders. Do this, do that.
So you are not alone, in this struggle. Keep going :)

But something else got in my mind. Can you post you list to do things fo HR? If is digital of course. If is on paper dint bother, or just say NO, it will be surprise.

I want to know if is possible that city will have protected his closest work tiles from overtaking by expanding opposite city culture.
Imagine: Between you city and opponent city are 3 squares. You city have cultural level 3, his has 6. All you squares are overtaken by opponent. So the question is if is possible to have... let say a protection from overtaking at last at range 1? (it help even rebelled cities, from fall, when all that previews owner need to do is wait, but who will wait?) Or just have some different math in order to overtake. Like for purpose of ownership of the square, if is in range 1 from you city opponent culture have penalty -75% (dint count for dissents) if is in range 2 its only -25% on range 3 is out of the city so no. (and it will have a effect on computer performance if the game is bigger.) The just conquered city will ... maybe have a difficult dis/advantage for AI to take.

Second think, when conquering city. There is a option to take, destroy, return. How about 4. option: ban the city population? The population will drop one per turn until it will reach one and game ask you if you want destroy the city. (This can exchange the instant destroy option. You can save you city from raze by enemy!) The population can move to other opponent cities. (based on culture mixture. Barbarians can go to any empire.) Or rarely this feature can go to free draft in nearly opponent city, as a alternative to population raise. (It can make barbarians harder) Or when you culture in this city arise to certain level before it reach 1, the game will ask if you want still go to razing or save it. (It will make the AI revalue if the city will be NOW usefully for them or still not.)
Originally i was thinking how to solve problem when i conquered a city thatch was conquered by 3. side but has been owned by mi friend, but i want destroy it, but i dint want -2 attitude for you destroy one of my cities.
When i think about it it will be nice if there is option to pay gold for (No building destroyed by RE/conquering.) Or pay money/spy points/spies or missionaries or inquisitors (as a purge police) - to deal whit population mixture in odder dealing whit the dissent by ahead. Or one time-used-per conquering slay 20% population to get (for 20 turns bonus to culture mixture converting rate to yours, and 20% original population wort unhappiness)
How it that sound?

FINALLY!!! I was wainting for this since last year! I think History rewritten is simply one of the best mod of civ 4. You could put ethinic skins for the tanks in the late game! I would find very interesting a unique single unit for each leader (like civ 6) or create a penalty when there are several units per place (such as realism invictus). Just some ideas! But by the way, congratulations on the work!

1967 save crashes to desktop upon end turn whenever I can get it to load, sometimes it crashes on launch. The 1946 save is the last one that loads reliably from before that.

Is it correct that a well can now only be built by labourers, and not workers?

Attachments

• crashreport.txt
    61 KB · Views: 180
  • Ashot CE-1946.CivBeyondSwordSave
    546.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Ashot CE-1967.CivBeyondSwordSave
    570.4 KB · Views: 176
This is all absolutely fantastic! The expanded soundtrack alone adds a ton of enjoyment for me, to say nothing of everything else you've added.

Not sure if this is a known problem, or me misinterpreting something, but in my most recent game on Windows (Windows Earth map, Brazil/Dom Pedro, Noble, Epic) I suddenly gained contact with a bunch of old world civs despite not encountering any of their territory or units. Just from the timing, it looks like might have something to do with their founding religions? I can provide the save file if it'd be helpful.

Sorry for the late response. I might have already fixed this problem. When I release the next beta we can see if it reoccurs.

But something else got in my mind. Can you post you list to do things fo HR? If is digital of course. If is on paper dint bother, or just say NO, it will be surprise.

I will once 1.25 is done. If I forget, please remind me.

I want to know if is possible that city will have protected his closest work tiles from overtaking by expanding opposite city culture.
Imagine: Between you city and opponent city are 3 squares. You city have cultural level 3, his has 6. All you squares are overtaken by opponent. So the question is if is possible to have... let say a protection from overtaking at last at range 1? (it help even rebelled cities, from fall, when all that previews owner need to do is wait, but who will wait?) Or just have some different math in order to overtake. Like for purpose of ownership of the square, if is in range 1 from you city opponent culture have penalty -75% (dint count for dissents) if is in range 2 its only -25% on range 3 is out of the city so no. (and it will have a effect on computer performance if the game is bigger.) The just conquered city will ... maybe have a difficult dis/advantage for AI to take.

Doing so would have a lot of knock-on effects for culture flipping, making it much harder. I don't think this would be wise.

Second think, when conquering city. There is a option to take, destroy, return. How about 4. option: ban the city population? The population will drop one per turn until it will reach one and game ask you if you want destroy the city. (This can exchange the instant destroy option. You can save you city from raze by enemy!) The population can move to other opponent cities. (based on culture mixture. Barbarians can go to any empire.) Or rarely this feature can go to free draft in nearly opponent city, as a alternative to population raise. (It can make barbarians harder) Or when you culture in this city arise to certain level before it reach 1, the game will ask if you want still go to razing or save it. (It will make the AI revalue if the city will be NOW usefully for them or still not.)
Originally i was thinking how to solve problem when i conquered a city thatch was conquered by 3. side but has been owned by mi friend, but i want destroy it, but i dint want -2 attitude for you destroy one of my cities.
When i think about it it will be nice if there is option to pay gold for (No building destroyed by RE/conquering.) Or pay money/spy points/spies or missionaries or inquisitors (as a purge police) - to deal whit population mixture in odder dealing whit the dissent by ahead. Or one time-used-per conquering slay 20% population to get (for 20 turns bonus to culture mixture converting rate to yours, and 20% original population wort unhappiness)
How it that sound?

I'd have to think about this but my initial feelings are that conquering or razing a city should have repercussions and adding ways of circumventing them takes away from both balance and realism. Populations can already be reduced by starvation and relocated via settlers.

FINALLY!!! I was wainting for this since last year! I think History rewritten is simply one of the best mod of civ 4.

Thank you! Sorry 1.25 is taking so long.

You could put ethinic skins for the tanks in the late game!

I've deliberately avoided civ-specific skins for modern tanks, ships, and planes because they'd increase memory demands at a stage of the game where available memory is getting scarce. I would like to have a little bit of variation though, maybe 3-6 different models for each unit. On my todo list.

I would find very interesting a unique single unit for each leader (like civ 6)

Issue here is that such units are obvious for some leaders, but very difficult for others. And there are nearly 180 leaders in HR! For some civilizations it was a real challenge to find 1 suitable UUs, let alone 2.

or create a penalty when there are several units per place (such as realism invictus).

Such a mechanic have considerable repercussions for the AI and since most of HR's AI is for K-mod, it's not compatible with the AI of Realism Invictus. Merging the two is well beyond my capabilities.

1967 save crashes to desktop upon end turn whenever I can get it to load, sometimes it crashes on launch. The 1946 save is the last one that loads reliably from before that.

I haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but it's on my todo list. Crash report is useful, thanks.

Is it correct that a well can now only be built by labourers, and not workers?

Yes. Same with Railroads, Highways, Nature Reserves, and Clearing Fallout.

Crash report:
Game stop responding next turn. Posting files. (Its look i missing crash report)
Its merely look like attempt to declare war, or just the 17-city-s monster go to civil war.

I was positive surprised by AI when he construct a Super-Fortress(Lv1?) in hole in my empire to get the resource i was planing get the moment my culture expand. And now that title belong culturally to AI. What a smart move. :) Dint notice if already yes, but can this be applied to water to? (maybe in later games, a standing ship controlling a oil well. submarines dint count.)

And when aim on it. Is there some way to get know how much turn a counter espionage mission effect staying? (duration 10 turns)
-I mean if there can be put on espionage page to the left panel between data a number showing pending on mission for me for him and in second line him for me.
-Or maybe a icon on main screen

Attachments

• PythonErr2.log.txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 133
  • v25-bU1-Dretnoth CE-1400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    550.6 KB · Views: 192
Had an issue with the UN here. Didn't see it mentioned before, apologies if this a repeat. None of the UN resolutions appear at all, except for one about obsoleting fur. Didn't know what I was voting for, so had to abstain!

Attachments

• obsolete_fur.png
    obsolete_fur.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 217
  • no_resolutions.png
    no_resolutions.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
  • Dingha Cisse CE-1958.CivBeyondSwordSave
    700.2 KB · Views: 133
Pirate ships are the first ships that can enter the ocean (with Compass). Encountering a new civilization with a pirate ship enables the option for open borders with that civilization. But aren't pirates supposed to be hiding your identity ?

Just to be clear, I expected to discover new civs with pirate ships without them knowing about me (and to be safe from "help me i'm at war requests").

Hi, bug report:
Game stop responding on next turn:
(Multi time tested - probably revolution somewhere)
(Dint need repair the save)
Specs:
Error on Civ*.exe 3.1.9.0
On Module: CvGameCoreDLL.dll
w7 64 2400MHz 6GB ram AMD Radeon

Attachments

• game stop responding.CivBeyondSwordSave
    821.3 KB · Views: 176
Hi there, I have come with some unit balance suggestions.
1. Humvee has ability to withdraw 25% but can't use it cause it can only defend. I don't think unit with 18 combat strength should be denied an ability to attack.
2. Mobile SAM being Siege (Artillery now) is really strange. It can attack and can get city raider promotion but lacks withdrawal chance, collateral damage and combat strength promotions and can't capture cities. It can also get +8% bombard damage (I don't actually know, will it be able to bombard with this promotion?). And it's also vulnerable to flanking by gunships, instead of having advantage against them. Also, 1 movement range is not "mobile" at all making this unit very similar to SAM infantry (less interception chance and less base strength but access to most promotions and no oil requirement). So, make it defend only but 2 movement? Or, make in Gun (but still 2 movement)?
3. I also suggest making Cavalry upgrade into Mech Infantry instead of Gunships. Reason - mounted and gunships have very different promotion options and ability of a player to temporarily cut access to oil (to make earlier mounted units buildable) creates a lot of possible exploits in a late eras, especially if civ have unique mounted units with bonus promotions and/or Aggressive leader (like making commando-march-nomad2/3 gunships). Cavalry->MechInf also have some potential for exploits, but much less so (sure, you can make something like blitz-MechInf, but you can as well just make a tank). Tho I must admit, utterly devastating entire AI territory with several commando-gunships while accompanying (and being always covered by) main army is kinda fun)

By the way, I see you have increased maximum trade routes cap from 8 to 12 (probably cause some civic/civ combinations could get more that 8). You might want to nerf or rework Redistribution civic then. Because it can get ridiculously powerful in a late game, when you get close to max trade routes and have a reasonably developed cities. Because you see, in addition to different trade yield bonuses from buildings you also get +5% from each citizen, and that applies to food gained as well. A trade route can have base value from 1 to 5 depending on distance and size of partner city (1 is an absolute minimum, 2-3 for a typical large and developed empire, 4 for a superpower, and 5 is reaaally hard to get and requires specifical setup), if you have 11 trade routes (-1 from Merchant Trades as you can't get both this and Redistribution) that means 11-55 base commerce for your city or 5.5-27.5 base food. Each pop can provide 0.275-1.375 unit of food then (about 0.7 for a normal large country), which effectively means you can have +16-220% population (+53% for a normal large country). That is a huge bonus and it makes you totally addicted to Redistribution, because you will get mass starvation if you switch out. You can additionally get Multiculturalism for hammers from trade or Caste System for even more food for capital only. And if you have access to unlimited +1 food specialists (Social Walfare for doctors or Polytheism+Jetavanaramaya for priests), it is actually possible to make infinitely growing cities as your specialists make more food than they eat (even easier to do this for just your capital with Caste System). In fact, it was already possible with 8 routes cap, but it required so much setup, that you would need to basically already win twice to make it happen.

Top Bottom