Beyond Earth Factions

Of course it doesn't take into account population displacement due to the Great Mistake, of which a higher sea level might be a part (say good bye to St. Petersburg).

Of course it doesn't take into account population displacement due to the Great Mistake, of which a higher sea level might be a part (say good bye to St. Petersburg).
Yeah, movement further inland. However, for the most part, Russia has plenty of high-enough land in its western regions. You'd likely sooner see movement along the south than far to the east, and it doesn't look like most of the population would be affected. Even if the Krasnodar and St. Petersburg areas were hit, so to speak.

Personally I quite like the choice of civs. And leaders. Go go, black female American president! :)

Although one thing is baffling for me.

POLYSTRALIA?!

I mean, don't get me wrong, this idea sounds awesome, it was simply complete surprise for me. Now let's think...
- Australia
- New Zealand + Oceania
- Indonesia
- Malaysia
- Philippines
- Singapore, Brunei
??

Polystralia - I have to admit, this sounds cool. Although I cannot really imagine faction constisting solely of Australia and all these tiny islands (...aren't they going to be completely covered by rising seas? :p ) I hope Indonesia is included here.

Regarding factions choices - another suprise for me was lack of 'Islam' faction and instead great African union. Divide between subsaharan/north Africa, muslim/christian Africa and Arabian/black Africa (not to mention internal tribal and ethnic divisions which are insanely huge) seems to me much bigger than differences between all conflicted muslim countries.

Still, I like general factions division.
- as I said, breaking stereotypes: black female American leader ;)
- Brazil military power, very fresh and cool idea
- East Asian science/production corporation, I love Oriental culture
- India/hinduism in separate faction, the possibility of it being merged with China seemed terrifyng for me ;)
- Polystralia - very original concept
- Africa: +5 points! Communism: +5 points - I need ideological foe :D Let's hunt down some commies!
- Europe covered only by 1/4 of all factions, IMHO awesome :p

My favorite so far is the Kavithan Protectorate. It and its leader are very intriguing, but I'm not sure what to think about its weaknesses (science, infrastructure and military training, that seems rough).

Also, what does "growth" and "health" means? Border expansion and population growth, respectively? Or population growth and population limit (like Civ V happiness)?

Polystralia - I have to admit, this sounds cool. Although I cannot really imagine faction constisting solely of Australia and all these tiny islands (...aren't they going to be completely covered by rising seas? :p ) I hope Indonesia is included here.

I think Hutama is an Indonesian name.

Anyone else think the name 'Polystralia' is absolutely horrific?

Also, what does "growth" and "health" means? Border expansion and population growth, respectively? Or population growth and population limit (like Civ V happiness)?

They could be bringing back some version of Civ4's health system.

I'm going to imagine it's an homage to Apolyton. (I'm sure it's not.)

Ermm i'm Venezuelan and i live in Venezuela (...sadly). Regarding the Bolivar thing, while the reason they picked the name is probably the previously mentioned trope, Bolivar is a relatively normal last name here so it doesnt come off that weird. And Venezuela it's right over Brazil so even if Brazilia is just composed by Brazilian lands, it wouldnt be THAT far off to think that someone from here married with a brazilian and the last name ended up there too. Hopefully it's gonna be a she tho, to further distance the leader from Simon Bolivar

I'm just bloody happy that Aus got into the game. To be honest, the name Polystralia is growing on me.

Can't wait to find out more.

I think Hutama is an Indonesian name.

Anyone else think the name 'Polystralia' is absolutely horrific?

I'd say it sounds way better then Austrynesia.

Polynesia - comes from Greek 'poly' (many) and 'nēsos' (island)
Australia - comes from Latin 'australis' (southern)

Not only is 'Polystralia' a bastard combination of Greek and Latin words, it just doesn't mean anything - 'many-land'?? It's rubbish, they've taken half of a Latin word and slapped a Greek word on the front. It's like making a combination television-computer and calling it a teleputer. Sure 'tele' means 'far' in Greek and visio means 'sight' in Latin, but 'computer' is something that 'computes' - it's one word, you can't just split it up into com-puter and expect to put another prefix on '-puter'. And what would 'teleputer' mean, 'something that goes far'?? It's nonsense.

On the other hand, 'Austronesia', despite being a combination of Greek and Latin roots (which isn't always dreadful, c.f. television), would actually mean something - 'southern islands'. I would have thought that probably describes the nation reasonably well (though of course if it includes Indonesia it could straddle the equator). 'Austronesian' is actually a pre-existing word describing the group of languages across South-East Asia and Oceania (as I said, meaning 'southern islands'), as well as the people that speak them (Austronesian people) and the area they inhabit (Austronesia), so if that's the extent of the nation then I think Firaxis missed a trick there. Sure the technical definition of Austronesian doesn't actually include Australia (or PNG) but I doubt most people would recognise that, and I would say it's a logical name for a combination of South-East Asia and Oceania.

Far better than 'Polystralia' that's for sure.

lets remember the game is still in pre-alpha and Polystralia was only mentioned in one article (one from Norway and not shown off like the Slavic Federation) so it could be a place holder name, it could be a translation thing from English to Norwegian back to English, or as the game is pre-alpha and simply the name could change between now and release.

In the end I'm just happy that we finally have an Australian Civ (so it seams or at least in some capacity) and frankly I don't care what it is called.

lets remember the game is still in pre-alpha and Polystralia was only mentioned in one article (one from Norway and not shown off like the Slavic Federation) so it could be a place holder name, it could be a translation thing from English to Norwegian back to English, or as the game is pre-alpha and simply the name could change between now and release.

In the end I'm just happy that we finally have an Australian Civ (so it seams or at least in some capacity) and frankly I don't care what it is called.

Actually that article is available in several languages, English included (link). But sure, Polystralia could be just a placeholder, Brazilia as well.

On the other hand, 'Austronesia', despite being a combination of Greek and Latin roots (which isn't always dreadful, c.f. television), would actually mean something - 'southern islands'. I would have thought that probably describes the nation reasonably well (though of course if it includes Indonesia it could straddle the equator). 'Austronesian' is actually a pre-existing word describing the group of languages across South-East Asia and Oceania (as I said, meaning 'southern islands'), as well as the people that speak them (Austronesian people) and the area they inhabit (Austronesia), so if that's the extent of the nation then I think Firaxis missed a trick there. Sure the technical definition of Austronesian doesn't actually include Australia (or PNG) but I doubt most people would recognise that, and I would say it's a logical name for a combination of South-East Asia and Oceania.

Far better than 'Polystralia' that's for sure.

Better indeed!

Let's hope so. Polyastria is unbelievably horrible.

What if the Great Mistake didn't cause ocean levels to rise globally?

What if it just happened in some places, and in others it actually went down.

Some current countries could have become bigger and some others vanished all together.

What if it just happened in some places, and in others it actually went down.

Some current countries could have become bigger and some others vanished all together.

Is that possible in a meaningful scale?

Top Bottom