1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond Earth Factions

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Haphaz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Of course it doesn't take into account population displacement due to the Great Mistake, of which a higher sea level might be a part (say good bye to St. Petersburg).

2. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Yeah, movement further inland. However, for the most part, Russia has plenty of high-enough land in its western regions. You'd likely sooner see movement along the south than far to the east, and it doesn't look like most of the population would be affected. Even if the Krasnodar and St. Petersburg areas were hit, so to speak.

3. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Personally I quite like the choice of civs. And leaders. Go go, black female American president! :)

Although one thing is baffling for me.

POLYSTRALIA?!

I mean, don't get me wrong, this idea sounds awesome, it was simply complete surprise for me. Now let's think...
    - Australia
    - New Zealand + Oceania
    - Indonesia
    - Malaysia
    - Philippines
    - Singapore, Brunei
    ??

Polystralia - I have to admit, this sounds cool. Although I cannot really imagine faction constisting solely of Australia and all these tiny islands (...aren't they going to be completely covered by rising seas? :p ) I hope Indonesia is included here.

Regarding factions choices - another suprise for me was lack of 'Islam' faction and instead great African union. Divide between subsaharan/north Africa, muslim/christian Africa and Arabian/black Africa (not to mention internal tribal and ethnic divisions which are insanely huge) seems to me much bigger than differences between all conflicted muslim countries.

Still, I like general factions division.
    - as I said, breaking stereotypes: black female American leader ;)
    - Brazil military power, very fresh and cool idea
    - East Asian science/production corporation, I love Oriental culture
    - India/hinduism in separate faction, the possibility of it being merged with China seemed terrifyng for me ;)
    - Polystralia - very original concept
    - Africa: +5 points! Communism: +5 points - I need ideological foe :D Let's hunt down some commies!
    - Europe covered only by 1/4 of all factions, IMHO awesome :p

4. Liex

Liex King

My favorite so far is the Kavithan Protectorate. It and its leader are very intriguing, but I'm not sure what to think about its weaknesses (science, infrastructure and military training, that seems rough).

Also, what does "growth" and "health" means? Border expansion and population growth, respectively? Or population growth and population limit (like Civ V happiness)?

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I think Hutama is an Indonesian name.

Anyone else think the name 'Polystralia' is absolutely horrific?

6. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

I'd say it sounds way better then Austrynesia.

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Sounds more like a type of plastic than a name any organization would choose for itself.

8. Lorizael

Lorizael Chieftain

They could be bringing back some version of Civ4's health system.

9. Lancor

Lancor Prince

Hope so! Just Food and empire wide Happiness is a bit dull.

10. sendos

sendos Immortal

I agree. It does sound a bit odd. Oceania or Pacific would have been a better name for this regional group.

11. Lorizael

Lorizael Chieftain

I'm going to imagine it's an homage to Apolyton. (I'm sure it's not.)

12. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

Ermm i'm Venezuelan and i live in Venezuela (...sadly). Regarding the Bolivar thing, while the reason they picked the name is probably the previously mentioned trope, Bolivar is a relatively normal last name here so it doesnt come off that weird. And Venezuela it's right over Brazil so even if Brazilia is just composed by Brazilian lands, it wouldnt be THAT far off to think that someone from here married with a brazilian and the last name ended up there too. Hopefully it's gonna be a she tho, to further distance the leader from Simon Bolivar

13. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

I'm just bloody happy that Aus got into the game. To be honest, the name Polystralia is growing on me.

Can't wait to find out more.

14. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I do kind of hope that Bolivar is female and looks a bit like Col. Santiago. I'd like at least one of the warmongers to be female, but a female Russian martinet is a bit too cliche for my taste. :D

15. Martin23230

Martin23230 Chieftain

Polynesia - comes from Greek 'poly' (many) and 'nēsos' (island)
    Australia - comes from Latin 'australis' (southern)

Not only is 'Polystralia' a bastard combination of Greek and Latin words, it just doesn't mean anything - 'many-land'?? It's rubbish, they've taken half of a Latin word and slapped a Greek word on the front. It's like making a combination television-computer and calling it a teleputer. Sure 'tele' means 'far' in Greek and visio means 'sight' in Latin, but 'computer' is something that 'computes' - it's one word, you can't just split it up into com-puter and expect to put another prefix on '-puter'. And what would 'teleputer' mean, 'something that goes far'?? It's nonsense.

On the other hand, 'Austronesia', despite being a combination of Greek and Latin roots (which isn't always dreadful, c.f. television), would actually mean something - 'southern islands'. I would have thought that probably describes the nation reasonably well (though of course if it includes Indonesia it could straddle the equator). 'Austronesian' is actually a pre-existing word describing the group of languages across South-East Asia and Oceania (as I said, meaning 'southern islands'), as well as the people that speak them (Austronesian people) and the area they inhabit (Austronesia), so if that's the extent of the nation then I think Firaxis missed a trick there. Sure the technical definition of Austronesian doesn't actually include Australia (or PNG) but I doubt most people would recognise that, and I would say it's a logical name for a combination of South-East Asia and Oceania.

Far better than 'Polystralia' that's for sure.

16. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

lets remember the game is still in pre-alpha and Polystralia was only mentioned in one article (one from Norway and not shown off like the Slavic Federation) so it could be a place holder name, it could be a translation thing from English to Norwegian back to English, or as the game is pre-alpha and simply the name could change between now and release.

In the end I'm just happy that we finally have an Australian Civ (so it seams or at least in some capacity) and frankly I don't care what it is called.

17. Liex

Liex King

Actually that article is available in several languages, English included (link). But sure, Polystralia could be just a placeholder, Brazilia as well.

Better indeed!

18. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Let's hope so. Polyastria is unbelievably horrible.

19. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

What if the Great Mistake didn't cause ocean levels to rise globally?

What if it just happened in some places, and in others it actually went down.

Some current countries could have become bigger and some others vanished all together.

20. Liex

Liex King

Is that possible in a meaningful scale?