1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond Earth Factions

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Haphaz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

I have to admit Martin, you convinced me that Austronesia would be much cooler name than Polystralia :D

Uhm... You sure you know how oceans work? :D

2. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

I suppose it could happen if there were a moon-sized object in geostationary orbit.

So yeah, no, not going to happen.

3. Martin23230

Martin23230 Chieftain

Thanks. And I agree, it's not the biggest issue in the world. But we know the devs do come on these forums, and on the off chance it is a placehoder and they might consider changing it there's no harm in setting out a good case.

4. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

It's like a bathtub. You take water out, the level lowers everywhere. Put water in and it rises everywhere. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

5. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Everyone said the same thing about Venice being horrible, but everyone ended up loving it.

6. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

What were complaints against Venice?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

7. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

The difference here is people are complaining about the name sounding dumb. That's not really the same thing complaining about Venice, the Huns or any other controversial civilization that people argued against based on their idea of worthiness or abilities or whatever.

8. HipNozY

HipNozY Chieftain

It'd be awesome! But rather unlikely to happen :(
    Three of four leaders already known are female. So, probably there's just another one female leader to be revealed :sad:

9. Liex

Liex King

Which is probably Élodie, unless we have 5/8 female leaders.

10. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Which is possible, but unlikely.

11. Martin23230

Martin23230 Chieftain

Very much this. I am absolutely delighted that there's going to be an Australian/Pacific faction in the game. It's an under-represented part of the world that I'm personally connected with, out of the 8 fractions it's probably the one I'm the most happy to see. That's probably why I'm so disappointed to see that it's got a stupid name, I want it to be done well.

Even if Australia was included as, I don't know, 'The Kingdom of Eureka' or 'The Pacific Commonwealth' or 'Abbottania' or anything like that, at least it might show that Firaxis had put some thought into it rather than just mashing together two names from the same region.

I guess I should be thankful that the Pan-Asian Cooperative isn't called Chinasia, or the Slavic Federation is called Russoslavia. It's just lazy.

12. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

While you're probably right, Élodie is in this case being used as a surname, so it's not 100% sure that the leader is female.

13. Liex

Liex King

Is that because Daoming and Kavitha are surnames, not given names (thus all names in the achievement list are surnames)? Judging by wikipedia I was sure Élodie was a given name.

14. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Élodie is a given name, but surnames are often based on given names. However, you're correct in pointing out that the naming in the XML seems to be inconsistent with regard to given name or surname, so I'll withdraw my assertion.

15. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

And, to answer this question, people mostly complained about how Venice was too small and the Merchant of Venice was similar to the Austrian unique ability. I forget if there was anything else. Maybe overlap complaints.

16. Magean

Magean Prince

Elodie is a not uncommon female first name in France, but it doesn't exist as a last name. As a general rule, only male first names are also used as last names in French speaking areas.

Same goes for English surnames I guess. You may find a lot of, say, Mary James... but James Mary are probably quite, quite, rare.

Unless it's a very weirdly chosen placeholder name, I'd bet that the French speaking leader is female.

17. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I think most of the complaining about Venice was at the point when it was still speculation. Once the mechanic was announced, I thought the response was generally positive (aside from the obligatory smattering of "that sucks I'm not buying that game" that accompanies every bit of information that's released).

18. Liex

Liex King

I thought that at first, as the XML lists Barre and Fielding (Samatar's and Suzanne's familiy names) and Daoming and Kavitha (Sochua's and Thakur's first names). But it's possible that Daoming and Kavitha are actually family names as well (Asian rules, it seems to be like that in Chinese).

I guess we'll have to wait to be sure ;)

19. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

The names are a bit all over the place, to be honest. Samatar is a last name being used as first, and the inverse is presumably true for Élodie. Kavitha's fine for a first name, but Daoming is a last name (like Samatar, incorrectly used). I understand that family names go first in certain Far Eastern languages such as Chinese and Japanese, but it's common form to stick to the syntax of the linguistical context. In this case, English.

I'm hoping the devs will revise things like this before release. This might sound harsh, but it stinks of sloppy research.

20. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Again, the game is set 250 years from now after the end of a dark age. A little weirdness in the naming of things is probably intentional.