Big Korea?

I was just looking at the new Civilopedia, and I definately think the game is stacked for the new Korean race. Financial is arguably the best trait, and Protective sounds like it could be up there as well. Koreans get Mining and Mysticism, arguably the two best starting techs, and their UB sounds like one of the best in the game +10 science (albeit a bit late in the game.) The only hole appears to be their UU, but with the Cossack and Red Coat nerf, there arn't any really dominating UUs aside from the Praetorians left.

Kind of makes you wonder what happened to Korea on the world stage...

DarkSchneider said:
I was just looking at the new Civilopedia, and I definately think the game is stacked for the new Korean race. Financial is arguably the best trait, and Protective sounds like it could be up there as well. Koreans get Mining and Mysticism, arguably the two best starting techs, and their UB sounds like one of the best in the game +10 science (albeit a bit late in the game.) The only hole appears to be their UU, but with the Cossack and Red Coat nerf, there arn't any really dominating UUs aside from the Praetorians left.

Japan happened.

And China.
Hard to be a conquering empire when your next door neighbor is Goliath.
Though yeah, Japan would be the more recent problem.

I'm playing Korea right now. Have been struggling so far on Prince. Mao is not as strong as usual but Toku is not the same guy we used to know

I find it good news if Tokugawa changed his ways. He was impossable to deal with. I used to attack him out of anger for him being such an obtuse you know what.

Nice to know Toku is changed. I am going to install this new expansion very soon now instead of all the messed stuff.

DarkSchneider said:

Because Korea is new big kid in modern world block. :)
It is one of most powerful race among Civs not included in originl vanilla Civ4.
It is about 10 th in GDP rank in the current world and rising fast ( 680 Bil. $ in 2005 according to World Bank statistics) which is larger than that of whole India or Russia.
Isn't she worth to be called big enough?
Firaxis just begin to do her justice.

Are we talking about North or South Korea? The split hurts comparison a bit.

zx1111 said:
Because Korea is new big kid in modern world block. :)
It is one of most powerful race among Civs not included in originl vanilla Civ4.
It is about 10 th position in GDP in the current world. ( 680 Bil. $ in 2005 according to World Bank statistics) which is larger than that of whole India or Russia.
Isn't her worth to be called big enough?
Firaxis just began to do justice to her.

Actually Korea's GDP is number 15 in the world, according to the CIA World Factbook, below Inda and Russia. I have to say that it matters a lot what kind of definitions you use in these kind of rankings, so your info might be correct too.

I would really wanna see the Turtle ship as Korean UU, as the Hwacha isn't really "unique". :p China also had those medieval rocket launchers around the same time.

But yeah I know these is no naval UU in this game. :cry:

El Koeno said:
Actually Korea's GDP is number 15 in the world, according to the CIA World Factbook, below Inda and Russia. I have to say that it matters a lot what kind of definitions you use in these kind of rankings, so your info might be correct too.
Korean economy was hit hard with so-called "IMF crisis" (foreign-exchnage shortage/ financial difficulty of Asia and Korea circa 1998-2001) in recent years. So her GDP plummetted sharply for few years but she also recoverd from the crisis in same astonishing record time.
So her recent GDP ranking is quite volatile. CIA fact book may reflect bit old or conservative statstics.
You can see World Bank /IMF statistics here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
The ranking is on South Korea only not including North Korea.

lobster said:
I would really wanna see the Turtle ship as Korean UU, as the Hwacha isn't really "unique". :p China also had those medieval rocket launchers around the same time.

Naval UUs are bad.

lobster said:

The lack of a sea-borne commerce model in the game along with the changes to the bombardment model makes a naval UU kind of a non-starter. In one of the earlier Civs (Civ III?) the Brit UU was an enhanced Frigate. You built them only because you needed a frigate-type unit, not because they were game affecting. And who, among players of earlier Civ versions, can forget the execrable Privateer unit? Heard that it's back in Warlords and I'm hoping that it's something more than a "sink me please" waste of hammers.

zx1111 said:
Korean economy was hit hard with so-called "IMF crisis" (foreign-exchnage shortage/ financial difficulty of Asia and Korea circa 1998-2001) in recent years. So her GDP plummetted sharply for few years but she also recoverd from the crisis in same astonishing record time.
So her recent GDP ranking is quite volatile. CIA fact book may reflect bit old or conservative statstics.
You can see World Bank /IMF statistics here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
The ranking is on South Korea only not including North Korea.

I think the relevant difference is that the factbook uses purchasing power parity corrected figures, while the Wikipedia page you linked to uses nominal figures.

Anyway, whatever figures you use the Koreans are more deserving to be included than the Dutch, if economy size matters ;).

I also think that naval aspect of world history is under-represenyed in the Civ4.
At least 16C to 19C, naval unit should be most vital unit of the Civs for world dominion and commerce.
To make it happen in Civ4, naval unit should be able to render the coastal city to non-functioning state (No production, no commerce, no culture, no reserach, citizen unhapiness, shuttting down trade, etc)
Naval unit should be able to shut trade route in sea.
So every coastal civs should have to build naval unit to defend their city and let the trade route open.

Top Bottom