black tiles in C2C

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the dreaded black tiles as well and tried the full reinstall via Steam (I have both CDs and Steam account because of an earlier problem wit a different mod!) but Steam doesn't delete any of the old files - it replaces everything, including saves, as if there had been no delete. Any suggestions or maybe this is one for the Steam forum......

I encountered this problem the first time I played the mod.

Installed version 24 + patch 2 + extra leaderheads

First attempt resulted in no ground/water textures.

I quit to desktop and renamed the modfolder from "C2C" to "Caveman2Cosmos"
(I doubt this fixed the problem but I thought it worth mentioning)

Restarted and everything has been working fine since.

GPU: Radeon HD6870

I encountered this problem the first time I played the mod.

First attempt resulted in no ground/water textures.

Restarted and everything has been working fine since.

GPU: Radeon HD6870

This sounded too good to be true - and it was! I tried renaming the file but still the same problem. Unless someone has a foolproof solution then C2C will have to go into storage.

This is a known problem (but in things other than the black tiles). I think they should just dump this.

I doubt it was what was causing the black tiles, but the folder name always has to be identical to the ini file name.

Has anyone experiencing Black Terrain tried getting the SVN version and enabling viewports? If so, what effect, if any, has that had?

I haven't bothered to turn them on yet, partly* due to the possible problems it may cause. I haven't had the black tiles in over a month, and I'm leery of rocking the boat.

*and the other part is the many CTD reports as well

Black tiles are back with a vengenance, I will try the various suggestions from this thread and report back if I can get any consistant results.

*Update*

After a dozen failed attempt the following worked.

I deleted the "Caveman2Cosmos" mod folder and reinstalled the mod under "Caveman2Cosmos24"
Started new game... No black tiles
Exit to desktop
Installed patch 2

Black tiles are back with a vengenance, I will try the various suggestions from this thread and report back if I can get any consistant results.

*Update*

I deleted the "Caveman2Cosmos" mod folder and reinstalled the mod under "Caveman2Cosmos24"
Exit to desktop
Installed patch 2

Don't forget to sacrifice a chicken

Has anyone experiencing Black Terrain tried getting the SVN version and enabling viewports? If so, what effect, if any, has that had?

I was experiencing a lot of CtD's until I enabled Viewports. I've managed to get a lot further into a game with fewer CtD's unfortunately on the current game I am playing I have been experiencing the Black Terrain problem. Screen shot attached.
View attachment 326261

I managed to get quite a long way around a coast line despite this problem but if there is a fix for it I would be extremely grateful.

I was experiencing a lot of CtD's until I enabled Viewports. I've managed to get a lot further into a game with fewer CtD's unfortunately on the current game I am playing I have been experiencing the Black Terrain problem. Screen shot attached.
View attachment 326261

I managed to get quite a long way around a coast line despite this problem but if there is a fix for it I would be extremely grateful.

Could you post this save game please along with details of the viewport size being used.

Could you post this save game please along with details of the viewport size being used.

I used the standard viewport size 40 x 40.

View attachment 326287

Here's the saved game. I don't have an earlier one where those ships were still in that spot but if you move the War Galley up to the North East you'll see the area where I encountered the black tiles. You can always use WB and stick a ship right up at the top of the map, because that's as far as my ships got to, oooh! there's a thought. I may go back into the game and see if opening and closing WB will fix it, can't hurt to try.

View attachment 326287

Here's the saved game. I don't have an earlier one where those ships were still in that spot but if you move the War Galley up to the North East you'll see the area where I encountered the black tiles. You can always use WB and stick a ship right up at the top of the map, because that's as far as my ships got to, oooh! there's a thought. I may go back into the game and see if opening and closing WB will fix it, can't hurt to try.

Two questions. First, do you have an AMD graphics card? That has been linked to Black Terrain issues in the past. Second, do you have another installation of C2C on your computer, or an installation of ROM or AND? That has also been known to cause issues.

My Graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 and my System is as follows.
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
2.91 GHz
3.5GB RAM

I have had both ROM and AND on my PC but have removed both of them and completed a system clean up before installing C2C.

The only other Mods I have on Civ IV are the B5 Mod we are working on which does include the BUG (4.4) modcomp and Final Frontier Plus which also includes BUG (4.4).

*Update*

Exit to desktop
Installed patch 2

That did it, no more black tiles.

One of two things fixed it:

1. Wrong .ini
Since I did not name the mod's folder "Caveman2Cosmos24" is was not using Caveman2Cosmos24.ini

2. Extra leader heads
I didn't install extra leader heads.

1. Wrong .ini
Since I did not name the mod's folder "Caveman2Cosmos24" is was not using Caveman2Cosmos24.ini

I no longer have the "official" download, as I keep various SVN versions as archives, but I doubt this was the reason. IIRC, the download had two ini files, one named caveman2cosmos24 and one named caveman2cosmos, so either folder name would have worked assuming the files were identical otherwise. It was more likely getting rid of the extra leaderheads that did it.

That did it, no more black tiles.

One of two things fixed it:

1. Wrong .ini

2. Extra leader heads
I didn't install extra leader heads.

How do I not install the extra leader heads - what's the location of this file?

Hello I just got this MOD a few days ago. Long time Civ player and first time poster.

I am really enjoying the mod it is amazing the features and models that are put into it.:goodjob:

I am getting these black terrain issues too though.
First off the game played great.. then I had a crash about 4 hours into a game with max graphics giant map and 15 AI. Reloading my game I found the black terrain, tried other saves, changing Graphics. animation, and making a new game to no avail. So I reinstalled the MoD with the same folder name and everything just extracting it over the old patch one and two no letterheads (never had em) and the game worked fine again.

Loaded my old game the next day (Med Graphics) and started playing, this time it works fine few hours in it starts to lag on the animation when I would take turns and these weird barb goats show up flashing into knights then back to goats (shat my pants with my hunter first seeing barb "Knights" btw). But it's fine, playable turn it off a few more hours later and go to bed.

Then today I tryed to get on and it's only giving me black terrain again. Tryed what I did yesterday and did a re-extraction of the mod and there was no change.

I will try deleting the mod and reloading it again this time.:crazyeye:

Oh I use :
Windows 7 home
4 GB Ram
i3 processor
64 bit op system
On my hp Laptop and I run the game at 1366x768 res

View attachment 326261

Oh, so That's what the Great Wall of Viewports issue actually is. :crazyeye:

View attachment 326287

Finally got round to checking this out, but I was unable to reproduce any problems from the save game no matter how I moved ships around :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom