black tiles in C2C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got round to checking this out, but I was unable to reproduce any problems from the save game no matter how I moved ships around :(

Here is a surefire way that I can reproduce the issue.

1. Load a game with a 60x40 viewport
  2. Move a unit to the edge of said viewport, to where the viewport will auto-shift
  3. Let the viewport auto-shift, and there will be black terrain along both X-axis edges.

That works every time for me. It will go back to normal though after another viewport shift, so you will have alternating good and bad viewports.

Finally got round to checking this out, but I was unable to reproduce any problems from the save game no matter how I moved ships around :(

The implication there then is that it must be something to do with my installation/system rather than a problem with the Mod itself.

I too had the black tiles problem. Never had it last time I played C2C (this was version 17) nor in no other mod I played.

I solved it by unchecking 'high resolution textures' in the graphic options. My guess was that my particular graphic card and Civ4 did not went well together... Civ4 has now some years under his belt, and ironically, updated drivers and old games don't mix sometime!

So for those who have the problem, fiddle with graphic options... Lower quality, switch to low qual texture, etc. Once it works, up them progressively. Make your tests on small maps.

I too had the black tiles problem. Never had it last time I played C2C (this was version 17) nor in no other mod I played.

I solved it by unchecking 'high resolution textures' in the graphic options. My guess was that my particular graphic card and Civ4 did not went well together... Civ4 has now some years under his belt, and ironically, updated drivers and old games don't mix sometime!

So for those who have the problem, fiddle with graphic options... Lower quality, switch to low qual texture, etc. Once it works, up them progressively. Make your tests on small maps.

Thank you Vorpal+5 I'll have a go at that and see if it helps.

Fiddling with the graphics fixed it temporarily at first (though in my case it was decrease them and immediately increase them), but eventually nothing worked but random chance*. Sacrificing the chicken during a lunar eclipse may have helped. Seriously, I have no idea why I had continuous problems at first, and suddenly no problems for almost 2 months now.

*simply deleted old version and replaced it with a new version (which I did/do every week), no other changes from my other mods

Fiddling with the graphics fixed it temporarily at first (though in my case it was decrease them and immediately increase them), but eventually nothing worked but random chance*. Sacrificing the chicken during a lunar eclipse may have helped. Seriously, I have no idea why I had continuous problems at first, and suddenly no problems for almost 2 months now.

*simply deleted old version and replaced it with a new version (which I did/do every week), no other changes from my other mods

Just make sure then you DONT shut off your PC, otherwise you will get the BT back. (just a warning)

Just make sure then you DONT shut off your PC, otherwise you will get the BT back. (just a warning)

Do that every day (I have a laptop), and have no problems. In fact, I got the problems at first by not turning it off. So there you go...it seems to have no common factor.

I am experiencing less BT than before. Win7 64 bit, ATI Radeon HD 5800 graphics card patched via Steam. Medium graphics settings, and maybe 25% of the time starting a new game (for example after a SVN upgrade) resulted in BT. I would sleep my desktop with the game active to avoid restarts.

For me, the Catalyst Control Centre was not loading properly, and a graphics card forum said make sure your .NET is up to 4.0. I did that and I do not recall BT since then. It's been about 2 weeks with regular restarts.

EDIT: I have also removed all but the current copy of Caveman2Cosmos from the directory under Program Files.

But the one rule for BT applies: YMMV.

EDIT 3 August: Yeah, I jinxed myself. Had BT yesterday, but switched from Medium to High and that closed it quick smart. Got it again today, and again Med => High resolved it. For now...Sacrificing chickens will be the next step.

Wimpy's advice seems to work for most. I'm wondering if the Viewports mechanism has helped to reduce graphic demand to the point that it can easily be resolved by resizing the viewport to a smaller dimension (and if it can't it could be due to an overlapping graphic reference in the fpk which we usually are able to easily address)?

I am experiencing less BT than before. Win7 64 bit, ATI Radeon HD 5800 graphics card patched via Steam. Medium graphics settings, and maybe 25% of the time starting a new game (for example after a SVN upgrade) resulted in BT. I would sleep my desktop with the game active to avoid restarts.

For me, the Catalyst Control Centre was not loading properly, and a graphics card forum said make sure your .NET is up to 4.0. I did that and I do not recall BT since then. It's been about 2 weeks with regular restarts.

EDIT: I have also removed all but the current copy of Caveman2Cosmos from the directory under Program Files.

But the one rule for BT applies: YMMV.

EDIT 3 August: Yeah, I jinxed myself. Had BT yesterday, but switched from Medium to High and that closed it quick smart. Got it again today, and again Med => High resolved it. For now...Sacrificing chickens will be the next step.

I just noticed a little BT myself, after switching completely off my PC, but do as i did, delete the Custom Assets and log files, then turn off PC, then turn back on, and this time do another Net 4, dont try anything else yet. Turn off PC again and AGAIN do a Net 4.
Then finally start your C2C game and do a play now of the first play now mapscript there, using a tiny map, once the settler appears, dont do anything,but again STOP playing and go back to desktop, then AGAIN do a Net 4 "repair" only, that should clear up the problem completely, at least for me it did, but had to do it like 4 times, and in that order, JFYI.

I got BT after I installed the animated leaderheads. I wasn't too far into a game so I deleted my C2C folder and downloaded again (new site MUCH better). I started a new game and no problems.

My system is i7-2600K, 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Win7 64 bit, Geforce GTX 560Ti with 1 GB GDDR5 and there was BT for me too. I think it is caused by the too big FPKs. Without those big FPKs (lst 300, units 400 MB) game load time will be about 5-10 minutes but at least there will be no BT (at least for me).

It might be nicer to split them up a bit further for the sake of the massive download times when updating the SVN after even a minor graphics update. Perhaps Desolator is right that it could help to divide them into more specific art categories. I dunno...

It might be nicer to split them up a bit further for the sake of the massive download times when updating the SVN after even a minor graphics update. Perhaps Desolator is right that it could help to divide them into more specific art categories. I dunno...

Trouble with that is you can only have i believe from 7-9, cant remember which one and the game will start going "bonkers."

Just returned to C2C after a few months off, downloaded and installed v25, and I have the black tile problem it seems. Never had it before. I have a pretty high end system, plenty of ram, high end Radeon graphic card, etc.

After installing my first game started fine, after quitting and reloading a couple times I got the black tile problem and even if I reboot and start a new game it is still black tiles. Only way to correct it is delete the install, reinstall, and then it works ok again for a little while until the problem reappears.

I also noticed some glitches with the "show resources" toggle on the interface (the one where it highlights all the resources on the map). It worked fine at first but after reloading it once only some of the resources were actually highlighted while most of them werent. Then the next time I reloaded all black tiles.

Oh well, hopefully you mod geniuses figure it out, I'd hate to have to revert to a lesser mod than C2C...

I got BT after I installed the animated leaderheads. I wasn't too far into a game so I deleted my C2C folder and downloaded again (new site MUCH better). I started a new game and no problems.

So is the issue with the extra leaderheads? I can reinstall and not install them if that is the case. I have been using them because I like the extra leaders...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom