1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BNW vs. EU4 release

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Martinus, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

Well Makavcio, most gamers are used to non finished games these days. The reason you should not buy it is because!! They truned it over to community modders. They are basicly modding EU III to one of their mods.

This engine is old and over used, it is far past time that Paradox came up with something new and more exciting. Lazy is what Paradox has become!! I now have 0 game companies I trust 100%!! Paradox was the last after Maxis made Simcity. I will skip over that crappy game Railrods Sid ripped me off for.

Aslo to be fair, no game they make on that engine can top CK II.

2. Saint Rising

Saint Rising Metal Monster

EUIV is built with a new version of their Clauswitz engine. The same engine they used for CKII, but slightly modified for EUIV. Furthermore, Johan himself has been working on EUIV. It's hardly made by community modders.

3. Randall_Flagg

Well, why would Paradox tell us it is being put together by community modders if that is not the case? :)

The engine new? There is no way it is a new one. It may have some updates and streamlining done. But it is the same engine and will play exatly the way EU III does. The big differnece being the community modders they are using want a more historical flavor.

4. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I don't really play video games apart from a few open source ones and Civilization but isn't it a bit unfair to compare a complete new game to an expansion that, although adding several neat concepts, is just an expansion to something that already exists?

5. Blueboots

Blueboots Chieftain

I'm just as hesitant buying EU4 as I am Dominions 4.

6. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

EUIV uses the 2.5 version of the engine. EUIII used the original.

7. Randall_Flagg

Are you seriously trying tell me, that this is going to play like a new version? Really? How many people who have played the game do you think would buy that BS?

Update it all they want, it is still the same engine!! EU IV will play exaclty like EUIII and CK II. The only differnce is going to be the flavor of the game. The modders they are using were offended that Paradox was not more Historical. And a lot of paradox fans love to be more historical.

So basiclly what happend is paradox said, here modders show us how to do it.

8. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I like both games for diferent reasons, I dont see them as mutually exclusive. About the Paradox releases, The CKII release was polished enough, so I give them the benefit of the doubt, EUIV looks like good release, Im looking forward to it.

9. Sonereal

I didn't say it would play differently. I am saying that is a different and improved engine. It is very easy to see the difference in performance between EU3 and CK2.

10. Randall_Flagg

Very nicely put!! :) Still, I am over that engine!! I think I have to many games with it. I was just very upset that they did not make a Brand New Engine for EU IV. Zues knows they have made plenty of Dosh off this one.

Plus I really felt insulted when they turned it over to the magni what ever modders. Johan might have some input into the final game, but the bottom line is, they turned the francise over to a group of modders.

I just cannot see how anything they do with it can beat CK II. CK II might be the best strat game ever made. I like to think I have played em all, and none I have played can even come close to CK II.

Your milage may differ of course, but the pardaox fans by and by agree that it is the best also.

11. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Dude you're wrong. Paradox has vowed to fix their bad release reputation and it shows with exallent releases of Crusader Kings 2 and March of the Eagles. Odds are EU4 will be in great shape as well.

Why are you so hung up over an engine? All an engine is technical capability, it has very little to do with gameplay.

I like both Civ and CK2/EU4/Victoria as they are both very different. I tend to lean towards Paradox's lineup because Civ is terrible when it comes to historical scenarios.
    Paradox's games aren't that complex really, it's just the interfaces aren't as good as the should be. They've been improving on that though.

12. Randall_Flagg

Because the game will play exactly like EU III. If you played EU III, try and deny it!! Just try and deny it with a straight face. When you make a new version, you should not be lazy like Kalypso with Tropico. And you should not try and pass off what is community mod version of EU III as EU V.

That is why I am hung up on it!! Feel free to disagree and suport lazy development, your dosh not mine.

13. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Lets see, EU4 has a, completely new trade system, all actions requiring currency points, redesigned diplomacy, better AI, but no, it will play exactly the same....

14. Aztecopi

Aztecopi Warlord

Are you talking about the game Magna Mundi? That was a popular mod for Eu3 and was supposed to become a real game but then it got canceled.

15. neev

neev Waiting for Civ VI

Oh, you mean like when Firaxis put Jon Shaffer - a Civilization IV modder - in charge of Civilization V? :lol: (just kidding, don't start a flame war out of this guys)

More seriously, Paradox games are brilliant, even if they often are unbalanced and somewhat broken on release (not always though, CK2 was fine). And to be honest, remermber how utterly broken and buggy Civ IV and Civ V were when they were released... Civ IV was simply unplayable by a lot of players, and Civ V was the biggest joke ever at the time (but now is a pretty decent game).

16. Sonereal

After V2's hellish release, Paradox realized it would have to put more time into quality control, so the release of EUIV should go over a lot better than EUIII's release. It helps that they're flushed with the killing they made from CK2 and the DLC.

17. mabalogna

mabalogna Warlord

I've been watching quill18's England pre-release gameplay and the game looks pretty polished for beta - some CTD's and minor bugs, but from what's in the video I am confident that EU4 will have a release on par with CK2

18. pozz

pozz Warlord

Can we get a source on this ?

19. Rick80

Rick80 Chieftain

My favourite games are: Civilization V, Crusader Kings 2 and EU 3 :D

20. illathid

illathid Chieftain

Yeah... Your confused. Your thinking of the the Magna Mundi game, that paradox licensed to Ubik and his "team" to make a game. I won't go into the details but there was a bunch of drama and was canceled. EUIV was developed completely in house by Paradox, with no "outsourcing" that your accusing them of. And if you like CKII, you should like this as well. It has the same engine with lots of visual upgrades (Seasons!). Plus they just announced they're releasing a CKII exporter so you can continue your game into EUIV. That means you could play one game for almost a thousand years.

EDIT: if you'd like to know more about the game Randall was talking about, which is not EUIV, go here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1bpegq/paradox_community_member_ubik_loses_his_mind/