BOTM 115 First Spoiler

Too bad you can't see how I lose most of my army in a few turns due to frustration.
That sounds familiar. I did about the same a few months ago.
Sacced a force of 10 veteran axemen over a hilly holy city with shrine. I could have binded my time, manoeuvered, fought in the field, waited for siege or anything but I didn't.
Conservation of troops is the first key to successful warring but we all want to keep units active as much as possible, speed up the advance, etc.
And sometimes, there's that lack of discipline that makes us do suicidal moves.
Well done recovering from that loss. I ended up retiring from that game I've mentionned.

There is a lot of blood thirst in this thread! I took the peaceful option, and didn't do any warring, though reading the results others had this was surely the wrong option.
I wasn't confident I could muster the tremendous food output going all peaceful, so I had my mind set on early military action pretty much from the get-go.
Also, espionage indicated that Pacal and Wang had very little military.

Did you favour early Monarchy to ease up city growth ? Or did you share the food tiles very much ?
The low happy cap has been an issue for me for most of the BCs.

I shared food and whipped hard, and deciding early to go cultural this meant whipping temples everywhere, which surely helped. I got a silver in trade very early as well.

But I remembered that a) barbs did not have Archery b) I was only six turns away from Bronze Working. And behold, all praise DynamicSpirit for making us settle right on top of Copper :goodjob:.

He he! That was the result of some test plays. I initially thought I'd been sufficiently nice to you by putting Bronze in the SouthEastern corner of the map, where you were almost guaranteed to be able to settle there before the AI. But I'd reckoned without the barbarians. In a couple of test games, barb cities appeared on the SouthEastern copper extremely early, which basically made the game next to impossible to play. I figured the only way to rescue it was to put copper right underneath the obvious starting point, to make sure you could build a few units that weren't warriors! Of course, I didn't realize that quite a few players would disagree about settle-in-place being the obvious thing to do, and would head west to settle :)

Top Bottom