[BTS] BOTM 154 - Final Spoiler, game submitted

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff
Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 154 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

BOTM 154: Warrior Queen Hattie of Egypt.

Did you kill everyone and then pursue a victory?
When and how did you win?
Have any trouble? Did a vassal threaten to win?
Events? interesting/troublesome/helpful?
Go for the cow?

Last edited:
At 1 AD, I was at war with Sitting Bull, although he hadn't followed up his DOW with any sort of real invasion. (The western AI had been involved in a few wars of their own.) In 175, I completed the AP, but all the AI voted for Justinian to lead it. No matter! Justinian proposed war against Sitting Bull, the proposal passed, and in 450 I suddenly had six AI join me as allies! This AP strategy will work fine, I'm thinking...

But with so many at war, I figured it didn't pay to give one of the AI a chance to gain a vassal. So after Justinian and I both captured one city, I vassalized Sitting Bull in 640.

I attack Charlemagne in 860, with Ragnar soon joining me as an ally. I take two border cities, but lose a stack that was pressing on to his capital. Isabella refuses to join the war, even though she's at Friendly with me, and Justinian seems to lose interest in promoting religious war and doesn't make any more proposals before I'm elected to the AP in 1130. But then Saladin attacks me! I make peace with Charlemagne, then I get the AP to end the war with Saladin in in 1230. Various AI wars go on while I rebuild my forces.

In 1520, I attack Saladin, then Isabella (who has switched from Judaism to her native Taoism) attacks me. I lose one of my captured Holy Roman cities to Isabella, and give back the other city to Charlemagne to keep it from Isabella. I hold on to the city that Saladin was attacking, but I begin to think the future's not so bright, after all. Then Ragnar attacks Isabella in 1600, relieving the pressure on my northern front. I capture two Arab cities and Saladin capitulates in 1630. Louis becomes my peace vassal in 1680. I capture a Spanish border city and Isabella capitulates in 1690. Now victory seems certain, as long as I avoid provoking all the remaining free AI into war at once.

With Charlemagne and Joao at war with Shaka, I agree to Shaka's request to attack Charlemagne in 1745. I capture all of his cities by 1790, but at the same time, Shaka is vassalized by Joao. I turn on Ragnar, next, and make him a vassal in 1826.

Victoria attack Pacal in 1834 and I join that attack. All of his cities fall by 1854, but Victoria has taken one and I need those votes in the AP, so I attack her next. After taking that Mayan city from her, I finally have enough votes in the AP for a religious victory. Taking York pads that margin, and in 1866, Warrior Queen Hattie lines up her five vassals to vote her to victory in the AP, over the opposition of the four remaining free AI.

After the BC, none of the events were noteworthy. As for the cow...well, I'm sure those who started serious conquests in the BC will do far better in that regard.

1822 Space win, Immortal save. Hee hee, don't think I've ever had as many Mining-Inc-enabled hammers in a game: 45, I think. I wiped out the English, French, Vikings, Native Americans, and Zulu (the last after launching), and vassalled the rest to get their sweet sweet minerals. Vassals were not much help on teching; I think I backfill-traded for maybe 5. Very fun, but took a long time. Thank you very much for this, DH!

For the first time ever I got a time victory, reaching Future Tech 239 which was kind of funny. Base score 29367, maybe it's cow worthy, maybe not. 87 cities in the end, not room for more. Went with Cereal Mills and Mining, spreading to all of those. Fun game, at least the first part, when some AIs were still alive. :p

Future tech #239... holy crap!!!

I took the Challenger save, as I thought it would help me win a space race sooner. But even on Immortal all the AI were really backward, so I conquered several with Cataphants.... I just wish I had acted sooner and captured an AI or two with War Chariots.

Anyway, I pushed my economy to the brink.... 0% research but only a few gpt afloat. Thankfully this didnt last too long as my empire started humming. I took a few more AI (I cant remember which now) and went to check the domination limit.... hmmmmm, I cant find it.... took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize conquest and domination are disabled. So I then did the logical thing... "I killed 'em all"... to paraphrase the great Erkon. Sushi was a mistake.... Cereal would have been better and cheaper, but..... oh my wordy lordy... was Mining Inc amazing!!!!! 47hpt! OMG!

Space in 1826.... just a few turns after Xcal.

I only got 30+ from Mining, was planning to go for a space race, but started to play late due to the problems with installing Buffy on Mac (thanks AllanH for help :)). I also mis-remembered that the game is due this Friday, so was looking for ways to end it on time, it was also seem to take forever later in game, I either forgot all time saving key combination or they do not work on Mac.
Anyways, first Saladin was trying for a Religious Victory under my nose, I thought that it was Justy who did AP, as he had the shrine, and I accepted Sal as a peace vassal and realized only later that he has AP. Initially, everybody loved Sal and Justy spread the religion to all but one civ, so even though I was in a dominant position otherwise, I had to monitor things. Later, Sal founded Christianity and converted and everybody suddenly liked me better than him and soon got elected to AP without any effort. I could get religious victory, but since it was so late in game, decided to play couple more turns and get UN victory, since the dates would be more competitive than AP. Anyway, that was a detour, could get UN earlier if I went for it, not preparing for space victory instead.
I was not playing for a couple years and never got UN victory before, so I misunderstood how it works and thought I win the moment I built UN. So the last 4 turns were completely wasted, just loosing score and waiting for next election, I got rid of my army thinking it is the end, so nothing more to do. And finally, Warrior Queen Hattie led her people and assorted vassals to Diplomatic Victory, abandoning, with a bit of regret, plans to conquer Alpha Centauri. But this is my first GOTM, so I am just happy to submit a victory, not a defeat or unfinished. Was a very fun game, thanks DH, although a bit long.
It is interesting how different the game played out for us. not only events, but how AI did. In my game, I got Mids, not Joao, and Justy, not Joao, was doing best my whole game, also not barbarian uprising event.

Ha..nice cow, Nocho.

Man, so the last part builds and I'm on the ship screen but decide I wanted to make sure all parts were built before launching, so I exit. But forget to go back in and launch. Face palm. I did launch the next turn, but screwed up a pre-1700 launch. Although really I should have won some turns earlier as I played really sub-optimally this past day in a rush to get the game in. Actually thought I was looking at a circa 1550AD-ish launch...oh well. Played from about 1AD in less than 10 hours or so.

Vassalled Justy, Rags, Shaka, Joao , Sal and Louie (peace vassal).. Killed Chuck, Izzy, Pacal, Vicky and SB.

Rags actually stupidly DOw'd on me. I knew he was but was fighting wars on multiple fronts so was in process of moving troops during our peace treaty (beg). He DOW'd immediately at the end. A former HRE city on a hill was right next to him and did not feel comfortable with the defenders, so I gifted it to Pacal (vassal of Joao) and then bribed Joao/Pacal and Shaka on Rags. Rags took back that city - it was empty of Mayans - and just sat parked my army nearby while I reinforced that army with some trebs. After killing that stack/taking back city and taking a city up in the ice he capped (Shaka had captured one of his cities). In a few turns after Rags bent the knee, I turned on Shaka who had his whole army in that former Viking city with no defense, So I just erased that army easily with trebs and took one other city, and Shaka was mine. Joao/Pacal followed next. Focused on Joao for Pacal break, while asking vassals to head toward Pacal. Joao went down easy after my beeline to Lisbon (which I kept). Interestingly, Pacal would never offer to capitulate - not sure the mechanic behind that, but I'd planned on taking his land.

Left Justy a little late. He had ToA which I used often, but he got MS just as I attacked which made it painful. Had planned to just take all his stuff, but the Grens were a pain. I was getting Infantry online, but I just needed to be done with the war efforts to focus on the Space Race.

Oh..I went the with State Property here. I think I was around 6K or so in beakers in the final stretch with the hammers and my 50 turn golden age.

The early war focus delayed my teching a lot as well. I didn't do the usually golden age as I didn't feel prepped for it so slowed tech Edu, but first going the Engi route for easier wars. I mean relatively my teching was good early with Thebes rocking but the growth was not there empire wide. I did get up Unis and Ox very quickly after with OR whips and whipping Ox,, but that was like around 800 or 900AD. Really much later than I had planned for it. Took Communism with Lib. Coulda saved it, ofc, but the quick switch to SP was a huge boost so worth it.

Not sure how my score will pan out. It was over 300K at one point but started to drop quickly after 1500AD, as usual. I think I got around 220K or so @1705AD

Really really nice map for Space or even Culture. Surprised no culture games, although maybe none reported. Thebes in place was excellent and a lot of nice land. Kicking myself for not playing this one gradually and slowly over the past month instead of rushing. The experts would have a field day on this one.

Fun game, Deck...a lot of moving parts with all those AIs. It was fun fighting 2 or 3 wars at the same time...on purpose.

Last edited:
I managed to win with cultural victory in 1505AD. Unfortunatley I got problems with properly installing Buffy mode so no save submition. :(

I managed to win with cultural victory in 1505AD. Unfortunatley I got problems with properly installing Buffy mode so no save submition. :(
Welcome back to gotm. You would have had fastest cultural victory. Hope you get Buffy straightened out and play more.

Top Bottom