[BTS] BOTM 179 Winnie Churchill - First Spoiler 1 AD

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff
BOTM 179: Churchill, Monarch ... First Spoiler

Stop!
If you are participating in BOTM 179, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

How was your tech pace?
Encounter any difficulties or successes?
Think you can will before 1000 AD?

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

I'm just playing a easy relaxed game.
Went for GLH very early (probably too early, but it's such a crucial wonder to get on these types of maps)
I beelined alfabet quite early since the AIs tech abit slow, and when I was about to trade and backfill some techs I remembered that Oh... tech trading is off. :)

Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Really have no idea how to play out this game. Can't take any vassals and can't raze cities... Probably have to delay any large scale conquest untill after communism?
The AIs are falling behind in tech fast as I can't sell them techs for gold.
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

have to play this quite quickly (not that I would play any better if I had more time :lol:)
Spoiler 1AD :

Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

@krikav not only did I not build it, I did not even think about building it... :hammer2:
Then I think you are doing good techwise! Perhaps you did get the goldmines up early?

Just friendly feedback:
I think that your settlement of York was abit weird, did you go TW early to get those two cities connected? My settlement of York provided instant access and traderoutes since the cities where within the same culture and along the same coast.

@krikav well, no early TW, getting first two cities connected by sea route was another thing I didn't consider at all. frankly, I can't remember the reason why I did it like this

This is a challenging map.
With no tech trades, it is very important to pay attention to commerce.

I started out by settling 3 cities, then reaching out for the gold city 4th in 1840BC.
Chose Sailing->Masonry instead of Polytheism->Priesthood after noticing the AI had 3 or 4 times as much GNP as I did after subtracting out the +2:culture: per city for Cultural civs.
Oracle just felt too risky.

AI got Oracle in 975BC.
I got the Great Lighthouse in 875BC.

Main boost was a marble trade with Korea. (Thank good goodness I didn't steal any workers! or that barbs had enough coastal resources to found a coastal city and block my trade route)
It let me complete The Great Library and National Epic (4-pop whip;)), so now I'm pursuing Pacifism bulb and Code of Laws to get a huge amount of Great Scientists. (Going for Parthenon chop out east or MoM if I go for Music 1st)
The fail gold from overflows and chopping all my forests gave a nice 500:gold: cash boost just when I needed it.

Used the 1st Great Scientist to bulb Alphabet. :crazyeye:
Alpha is needed to bulb my way to Astro, made Currency a bit cheaper, let me store chops/whips earlier, and will let me steal Construction/Iron Working from Korea once I give a city away to bridge Korea to my gift city full of spies.
Just need a holy city.
The spy city will also lose Library, Monument, and whip anger, but should be worth 2 techs.

Only blunder so far was not giving resources to my neighbors to get them to Pleased earlier.
I had to demand Korea's 70:gold: instead of just asking for it, and Gilgamesh might start plotting any turn now. (Pleased would lower the odds of that happening)

Also, my 2nd city did not form a trade route.
I guess coastline needs to be inside borders to form a trade route before Sailing.

I doubt I can win conquest before 1000AD.
Will be fun to smash the backwards AI since they can't trade with each other.
Plenty of fun things happening outside this screenshot, mmm.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Well, would you look at that guy ?
Spoiler :

Protecting the Stonehenge like a PRO.

If you had to guess, would you say this city was (yes, yes) or wasn't (no, nooo) building the Pyramids ?
Hmmph, errr... Not glorious but this is where I stopped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom