1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 183: Relive SGOTM - Final Spoiler - Game submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by neilmeister, Sep 12, 2019.

1. nocho

nocho Chieftain

First time I submit an incompleted game. Didn't manage to beat it when SGOTM, didn't beat it for a lack of time as BOTM either. :crazyeye:

Very tough game for monarch. Joining the bud lovefest made things a whole lot easier than the SGOTM, but then still due to the ingenious map setup tough game for conquest as I planned to. Finally managed to gobble up the whole ring (Japan, Egypt, Babylon, Zulu, Mongols in that order) which already took loads of real life time. Then wanted to take down the team before a final assault on the English. Forgot about their defensive pact though, so faced the remaining AIs together when I had to retire. English were still at tech parity or actually slightly beyond. Crazy tech capability Liz had for monarch. She also regularly stole expensive techs from me (electricity for example). Also the oil situation was a set back. Hadn't noticed it missing until having combustion and well on my way to flight and radio for bombers (wanted to do cavs+bombers). Inmediately detoured to plastics for the Oil corps and abandoned communist paradise. Liz was actually a turn sooner to plastics but luckily didn't found the corp. Submitted an incomplete game in 1700AD, I think I'd probably win it with an extra 10 hours or so, which is normally the time I have for a whole game! :lol: Anyway, the in-game date would probably have been somewhere well into the 19th century.

Anyway, very nice and challenging game, thanks for letting us relive it, neil! At least this time I ended up seeing the whole map! :lol:

2. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Pedant! :lol:

But yes, there is an implicit understanding that the medals go to the highest winning scores. Maybe the awards page needs to be clarified. Just for the sake of pedants. :crazyeye:

3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

I'm a pedant who want a gold medal ambulance for this game! :p

4. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

So I started playing this one and once I met Hamaraugawa, I started having post-traumatic-stress flashbacks.
    OH IT'S THIS GAME!!!
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sgotm-15-kakumeika.451560/page-198#post-11510269

Gritting my teeth, I vowed to trash all the Gawas with extreme prejudice.
    Did my usual city gifting trick when I don't care about the diplo consequences to wipe out tons of whip anger.
    It backfired in Pataliputra! :mad:
    Spoiler :

Then later I double built Pyramids, and taking 1 extra turn for even more fail gold, I lost the Pyramids in 500BC. :mad:
    Played until 1AD ish until I realized I had to give away my Buddhist cities to keep an AP win from occuring for the Gawas.

This game gradually reminded me how the Gawas ruined the only chance to ever get Gold over the Ducks. (Other than joining them) :gripe:
    Mapmaker was a genius on this one. :salute:

5. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

It was a moral victory since our strategy had them beaten them badly--16 turns! which as you know is an eternity in SGotM. But IIRC at ~0.01% chance of a city flipping cost us 10 turns and then rushing to finish and another 0.01% demand from the AI cost another 10 turns. (waiting for voting on AP) Well played the other 99.9999% of the game (by my team--not me, I didn't participate a whole lot on this one)