BOTM 31 - Starts 16 June 2010

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 31: Germans

Game Details:

It's time to rewrite the history of Europe! you're playing as Bismarck against all European opponents. Wanna see Europe united under the hegemony of the French? Or perhaps see Europe beat America to land a man on the moon. Well, tough luck on both of those since you're not playing the French and the Civilization spaceship doesn't go to the moon. But maybe you can think of some other innovative version of history to play. Like Germany suffering a conquest loss? ;)

Game settings:
Civilization: Bismarck of the Germans
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Noble
Map: Custom continents
Mapsize: Standard
World wrap: Cylindrical
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Bismarck:
Bismarck is Expansive and Industrious and the Germans start with Mining and Hunting.The Expansive trait gives +2 health per city, +25% worker production, and double production speed of granary and harbour. Industrious gives +50% wonder production and double production speed of forge.

Unique unit: Panzer(replaces Tank)
The difference between a Panzer and a Tank is that Panzers have +50% strength against armoured units. Both units have 28 base strength, start with blitz, but receive no defensive bonuses.

Unique building: Assembly Plant(replaces Factory)
The Assembly Plant is identical to a factory except that it allows 4 engineers in the city (a factory allows 2). Both buildings give +25% hammers, another +50% hammers with power, but cost -1 health, and an extra -2 health with coal or oil.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
Game will be played on Warlord level. Note that AI starting units still match Noble level.

Challenger Class Equalizers:
Game will be played on Prince level, but is still scored as if it were a noble game. Note that AI starting units still match Noble level.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 on 16 June 2010, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 16 July 2010.

PLEASE NOTE that there will be no separate "Saves Available" thread for this game.

Civ version

This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Warlords or vanilla Civ), patched to version 3.19. It must also be played with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003. Note that for game security reasons this BUFFY mod version requires you to be logged in with an account that has admin privileges when you are playing for your game to be a valid entry to the GOTM competition. You'll see a warning dialog if you attempt to start a session without appropriate privileges.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Why not settle in place there?

I'm 1st!!!

^In place is nice, but settling on top of marble -> 3hpt in capital's city center. I'm moving my scout there to look around.

^In place is nice, but settling on top of marble -> 3hpt in capital's city center. I'm moving my scout there to look around.

How much food would you need to see to justify settling on the marble?

The other option of course is scout to the PH north, if that looks nice settle there, then city 2 on/next to marble.

Settle in place. Research Bronze Working then Agriculture. Build worker then a pair of warriors. Not much thought beyond that.

Why BW before AG??? Worker needs to farm that Corn ASAP...it is the only food resource.

Because it is the only food, that is why I might consider wandering in search of more food.

Research Bronze Working then Agriculture.
:confused: Why on earth?

@Ronnie,
One dry corn isn't that great, but I probably wouldn't wander unless the scout move gives me a good reason to.

The starting spot is attractive if you are planning for a space race -- lots of river grass to cottage, and a levee will add a lot of hammers for the late game. The food situation is pretty bleak for a capital, though. :( The flood plain helps a little, but if you work the marble hill for hammers the capital will have poor growth.

Given the difficulty level, wandering for a turn or three to look for better food seems worth a try. Scout to the northern plains hill -- if nothing useful seen then settler to the marble hill. If still nothing useful, move the scout towards the corn next turn. Worst case, settler back to the start and settle two turns late.

I am none too fond of Germany -- UU and UB both late and both rather blah. :( Oh well...it is lower difficulty.

THX Viva!

Why BW before AG??? Worker needs to farm that Corn ASAP...it is the only food resource.

I'm guessing that I can get BW and Ag before the worker is complete. However,that is a guess. Time to try the test game.

I usually play a warmonger game, so am keen to try something different. I'm looking at the Industrious trait and the marble and thinking it would be fun to try for a soft power win (build lots of wonders as part of a culture win).

Very inexperienced with culture wins - do the wonders make sense, or better to focus on religious buildings etc?

I usually play a warmonger game, so am keen to try something different. I'm looking at the Industrious trait and the marble and thinking it would be fun to try for a soft power win (build lots of wonders as part of a culture win).

Very inexperienced with culture wins - do the wonders make sense, or better to focus on religious buildings etc?

You could go up the Aesth > Lit line and build Parth, Nat Epic & Great Library in Berlin. That would be a good start.

Sounds fun, I will try for a religious victory I'm thinking, just a heads up. Almost never do that type but anyway should be quite easy, see how fast the Germans can pull it off, a bit out of their groove that's true.

Top Bottom