1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstorm possible Civs'!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Menzies, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Saim

Saim King

How about no?

Just a thought.

Seriously though, why not have a Western European, East Asian, etc. civs as well? Why stop there? We could have Eurasian, African, Pacific Islander and Native American civs! In fact, let's just have a WORLD civ!

Akkadia, Babylonia, Assyria and Sumer are all significant enough on their own.

Yes. I'vve been suggesting the Moors for a while now. Although it would make no sense to have a Moorish civ and then have Saladin as an Arabian leader (both the Moors and Islamic Egypt where non-Caliphal important Arab states; incorporating one into Arabia but not the other makes no sense whatsoever).

Regarding the Numidian Cavalry, the reason Carthage should not get them as a UU is because they are A) Numidians and B) used by many others, including the Romans.

2. FoxURA

FoxURA Warlord

I wonder how much longer we will get before someone gets back onto cartoon civs again :crazyeye:

3. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

Swedishguy Empire
    Leader: Swedishguy (Phi, Imp)
    UU: Random Persian, replaces chariot, moves like a gunship, requires Knubbism.
    UB: Cornflakes Factory, replaces granary, +50% production with corn.

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I always build forges and factories ASAP. I might not take the big plunge with the industrial parks or power plants, but the early -1 health is not hard to counteract.

@Saim: The Numidians are not in the game except as a Carthaginian UU, so I don't see why that is such a problem. The reason why it is appropriate for Carthage to have a mercenary UU like the Numidians is because a large portion of the Carthaginian army was comprised of mercenaries. Yes, you are correct that the Romans eventually bribed the Numidians away from the Carthaginian camp, but I don't feel that is persuasive enough to throw out a historically effective UU in exchange for the elephant UU (many of those elephants died crossing the Alps, and the ones that fought against Scipio were virtually ineffective due to his tactics).

5. vengeance1000

vengeance1000 Chieftain

Romania Empire (not sure if this is already one)
    Leader : Vlad Dracula ( or Vlad the impaler) for those of you who don't know he is the guy Dracula is based off
    UU: Need some tips on the name, but a replacement for the spearmen used to put people on pikes
    UB: Torture chamber "replaces jail -75% war wariness"

He is very interesting, if you've never heard of him, I really recommend looking him up! Had a lot of interest conquest and history!

6. Airefuego

Airefuego King

I put in for Vlad with his vampire UU and a crypt UB a page or two back... glad Vlad has some support!

You don't want to be one of his citizens though... :satan:

7. GuitarHero

GuitarHero Caligula II

I think I might have already suggested this, but why don't we rename the Natives the Sioux?
    Same Stats, but with another leader.
    Crazy Horse
    Agressive,Diplomatic.

8. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Diplomatic isn't a trait in the game. Are you sure you aren't mixing threads? :rolleyes:

9. GuitarHero

GuitarHero Caligula II

I'm using reverse Psycology on Sid & Soren. If they think it's in the game, when they check in on the production of the new Expansion, they'll get pissed that it's not in there and get it in. So sshhhh!

Iroquois
    Hiawatha (Exp/Dip)
    UU: Rider: Replaces Horse Archer, 5:strength: 3:move: Gets defensive bonuses on hills.
    UB:Trail: Replaces Colosseum, +1:traderoute: +1:culture: +1:food:

Hehehehehe..........

10. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I don't care for it all that much...has limited utility in multiplayer. Not that I play multiplayer, but I would rather invent traits that have utility for everyone.

Why a Rider UU for the Iroquois? They aren't exactly iconic horsemen. Although a colosseum UB that provides extra trade and food would be a little strong, in my most humble opinion.

11. GuitarHero

GuitarHero Caligula II

The Trail is to make up for the terrible Rider. It really sucks.

12. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Remind me what the traits of a Diplomatic Leader are? I haven't been playing those leaders much.
    @Samel

Fine. But still, maybe just Sumer and Babylon and Hittites. The problem with the Hittites is that they were the first Civ to actually effectively use Iron Working, so that should be a starting tech, even though that would make them super-powered....

13. GuitarHero

GuitarHero Caligula II

Go to the "Bring Back The Scientific Trait" Thread. It has the answers.

14. FitzRoySomerset

FitzRoySomerset Chieftain

Simply amazing. It is well known that dog sleds are the preferred mode of transport.

This sounds capital. I don't know enough of them to suggest a UB or UU, but perhaps the Alhambra should be included as a Wonder.

15. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Although penalized in strength, a 3 move unit would be ridiculous. If they got enhanced retreating abilities, I would tone down the UB. I'm curious why you didn't go for a tomahawk-wielder or some other kind of northeastern Indian style unit and instead went for a horseman.

@Gooblah: Sumeria and Babylon are already in the game. Check out BtS, if you haven't already, and you can play as Gilgamesh and Hammurabi. I am suggesting the Hittites because that was one of my top picks that didn't make it into BtS (they went with the ******** HRE and "Native American Empire" over Austria and the Hittites).

16. Archaelicos

Archaelicos Warlord

Some of these may be repeats and are arguably not "Civilizations" but are ethnicities or cultures, but be that as it may ...

The Hebrews
    Australians
    Canadians
    Irish (I knew, we have the Celts, but ...)
    Brazilians
    Mexicans (modern, not Meso-American)
    Belgium (think of it! Never declare war on anybody!)
    Finland (Pidan Suomesta! And one of only 2 non Indo-European languages.)
    South Africa
    Syrians (Ancient)
    Anatolia (ancient Turkey)
    Sparta could be its own civilization, it was so bizarre.
    An argument could be made for Ancient Syracuse/Sicily too.
    Poland
    Czech Republic
    Etruscans
    Prussia
    Macedonia (impermissibly mixed with Greece in Civ!)
    The Hapsburg Empire
    Lithuania
    Transylvania
    Nigeria
    Madagascar
    Hawaiian Kingdom

17. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Of that list, I would only second a "Jewish" civ--call them Hebrews, Israel, Judah, whatever. I'm not a fan of adding post-colonial states, so I'm ruling out many listed above. Belgium is a bit of an oddity on that list...usually the calls are for Poland. Adding Prussia would be foolish: just rename the current Germany Prussia, and you have your Civ. A Habsburg Empire would also be needlessly redundant because for centuries, the Habsburg Empire was the HRE. Ancient Anatolia is also quite vague...what about the Hittites, as I mentioned earlier in this thread?

For the Greeks, I would not split up the poleis into separate Civs (Sparta separate from Athens and the rest, etc.). We just have to accept there is no real way in a game to represent the disunited Greek poleis in the Classical Age, and accept that somehow, some way, they all act as a single civilization.

18. Archaelicos

Archaelicos Warlord

I'd go for the Hittites. I think the Hebrews are a glaring omission, they were an influential ancient culture and one of the few that survives with minimal modernizations in some form.

What about the Phoenecians?

19. Saim

Saim King

I never said anything about elephants.

The USSR was the first nation to use Communism, is that it's starting tech?

The poster your responding to did not say that the Greeks should be split up; rather, he said that Macedonia (not Greek, but was assimilated into Greece) to be separated from Greece.

20. Edosan

Edosan Chieftain

I would like to see a Polynesian Civ.

Details:

Leader: Maui (possibly a mythical figure but meh, so is Gilgamesh)
    UU: Outrigger Canoe (galley with a possibility of surviving ocean voyage)
    UB: Unsure yet, could be a Pa, but then you could probably have a seperate Maori civilisation.

And for that matter a Melanesian and Micronesian Civ.

I think this would be a good addition.