Brainstorming Remaining Uniques

Atlas627

Deity
So America has been confirmed to have (at least) 2 UUs and 1 UB. Since these are all late game units, America would be thoroughly boring to play as if they didn't have a UA. I can't imagine that would be the case, so I think that means we have an unknown UA on our hands!

China has been confirmed to have a UI. Multiple articles have said that their Builders have an extra charge and can help build Wonders. While this could be a unique Builder, all the articles seem to indicate that its actually part of their UA. That means (assuming that all Civs will have the same number of uniques) that we have 2 uniques to guess at (probably at least one UU, since in CiV all civs had at least 1 UU)!

For China, I think its a safe guess to say they will have the Cho-ko-nu as a UU. It probably fires twice per turn (and units have 3 move to make up for the new "you need the move points to enter" system, so you might be able to move and double fire). Since I can't think of a good second UU, and I don't think they'll use the Paper Maker again, then I'll guess that they will have a Tea Pavilion UB. No idea what it might do, though.

For America, I think its reasonable that their UA will break some rules. Assuming that China's UA is representative of the power and types of abilities UAs will have, then America's UA should break some important rules and be very powerful to make up for all its uniques being unavailable until most snowballing has already occurred. My guess is that their UA will be the Monroe Doctrine, which will allow Justified War against all aggressors who are at war with defenders on your home continent (capitals define home continent?) and double Envoys you send to CS on your home continent.

Let's brainstorm some ideas! Egypt has too many unknowns at this time to guess at imo, but we can talk about that too.

I think they havent told American UA yet because its related to a game mechanic they dont talk about yet. I bet it's something about expansion and going wide.

I think Egypt might have UU Mameluks, I think they were slave soldiers who stopped mongol advance.

Fire Lance for China would be badass, very unique. If I had to guess, I'd say Junk Ship for China, as Chu Ko Nu wouldn't be here simultaneously with Fire Lance (ranged unit from the same era).

Egypt - War Chariot, no idea for other uniques, maybe irrigation

Other civs are not confirmed but there is around a dozen of 'obvious' civs which have to be here anyway, so I may already make guesses

Mongolia - Keshik, Yurt, Kurhan, UA making them masters of cavalry and conquest

Russia - Streltsy, T-34

Germany - Teutonic Knight, Prussian Infantry (debatable names), Hansa

England - Longbow, Redcoat

France - some medieval cavalry, Napoleonic Infantry

Rome - Legions (duh), Auxila Cavalry

India - 99% sure there will be an elephant unit among them

Krajzen, have the EXACT same two units for Russia in my mind, Stretlsy and T-34.

I also hope that Germany doesnt again get the panzer.. I'd give them 88mm artillery or jaeger.

Krajzen, have the EXACT same two units for Russia in my mind, Stretlsy and T-34.

I also hope that Germany doesnt again get the panzer.. I'd give them 88mm artillery or jaeger.

Horse artillery for a Prussia focused germany would be cool too.

I'd like to see Roman legions return, and I would like they to continue to have very unique abilities like building roads, forts, maybe add draining marshes. They could function as a the military engineer support unit they mentioned earlier, but they would also be a powerful melee unit and would come earlier than military engineers.

British redcoats with bonuses for fighting overseas and able to recruit "native" support units on other continents with $$.

India should get an Elephant that is dominant on the field against infantry until gunpowder, but weak against cities and vulnerable to ranged damage. Lowered movement of course and complete inability to enter certain terrains without support units (cross rivers, hills).

Greece (assuming they are in) should get hoplites that can use their movement points to fortify immediately (so before it took a turn to get into fortification movement of you moved) and great generals allow this bonus to be used offensively as well (a fully rested hoplite does considerable more damage than one with movement points expended). Idk something with converted movement points to attack and defense bonuses would be cool considering the new movement mechanics.

Fire Lance for China would be badass, very unique. If I had to guess, I'd say Junk Ship for China, as Chu Ko Nu wouldn't be here simultaneously with Fire Lance (ranged unit from the same era).

Egypt - War Chariot, no idea for other uniques, maybe irrigation

Other civs are not confirmed but there is around a dozen of 'obvious' civs which have to be here anyway, so I may already make guesses

Mongolia - Keshik, Yurt, Kurhan, UA making them masters of cavalry and conquest

Russia - Streltsy, T-34

Germany - Teutonic Knight, Prussian Infantry (debatable names), Hansa

England - Longbow, Redcoat

France - some medieval cavalry, Napoleonic Infantry

Rome - Legions (duh), Auxila Cavalry

India - 99% sure there will be an elephant unit among them

Not bad.

I'd say that Napoleon's France is overdue for an Artillery-based unique though

I would give Germany the Uboat. There has never been a unique sub before, and subs come earlier than tanks.

I'm hoping for some more medieval unique units in Europe. Seeing Germany always getting WW2 stuff, France getting musketeers and Russia with Cossacks each time is kinda boring.
Teutonic knights for Germany could work with the religion mechanic.
Druzhina and Streltsy for Russia.
France could get Gendarmes and maybe Arbalest instead of crossbowmen.
Would be neat if England could get the Warwolf as a trebuchet replacement.

SammyKhalifa: Good idea for French to have artillery, they had one of the most famous artillerypieces of all time: the 75mm cannon model 1897.

Spoiler :

I'm hoping for some more medieval unique units in Europe. Seeing Germany always getting WW2 stuff, France getting musketeers and Russia with Cossacks each time is kinda boring.
Teutonic knights for Germany could work with the religion mechanic.
Druzhina and Streltsy for Russia.
France could get Gendarmes and maybe Arbalest instead of crossbowmen.
Would be neat if England could get the Warwolf as a trebuchet replacement.

Teutonic Knights would make for a good militaristic/religious city state too though (that gifts that special unit).
If it's only one city state with that ability it would probably also be possible to have it gift their special unit upgraded to each era, e.g. Teutonic Warrior, Teutonic Men-at-arms, Teutonic Knight, Teutonic Rifleman, Teutonic Inf-...you get the idea. :p

Egypt - War chariots, Irrigation Channels (could replace Water Wheel from CiV, and give some boost when building wonders), Papyrus Maker (Similar to Paper Maker, and the better idea I had until now)

China - Chu-ko-nu, Treasure Fleet's Junk ship (A bigger and stronger substitute to caravel)

Japan - Samurai, Dojo, Yamato battleship

(Civs not confirmated yet)

Rome - Legions/Praetorian Guard, Basilica (replaces CiV's Courthouse, could be built in every city and reduce local unhappines), Coliseum (Other civs can build only arenas, but coliseuns are Romans)

Aztecs - Jaguar Warrior, floating gardens, Eagle Warrior's Temple (can give unic promotions to military units)

Arabia - Souk (better than market), Camel Rider, Noria (Can build farmlands in desert tiles, but they are more expensive)

Persia - Immortals (With melee and ranged atack), Royal Road (in some way better than usual roads), Asvaran (Cataphracts with bows)

For once I'd love to see Persia that uses inspiration not only from 200-year long Achaemenid period but also 2000-year long later imperial history...

So one unique would be from Achaemenids, one from Sassanids and one from Safavids, for example.

I'd also have nothing against some later great Persian ruler instead of usual Achaemenid. Nader Shah or Abbas the Great for example.

They have added a new category: support units

This mean for example Rome could have centurion support unit who increase the melee strength of units.

Looking at the previewed US, it seems at least one of the UU's is really strongly tied to the leader choice. The same could be said for Cleopatra's UA.

So I think some leader speculation is needed. For example:

England (Victoria) - Redcoats (since we got Frigate replacements in V)

Not bad.

I'd say that Napoleon's France is overdue for an Artillery-based unique though

I was going to suggest horse artillery for Napoleon, seeing as how he sent Murat to get some, and saved the Revolution from the counter-revolution.

For that matter, Napoleon was innovative in using galloper gun style crews as ambulances, and for introducing triage, which did much for morale and survivability of his armies. I could see a healing support unit.

Top Bottom