Brazil discussion thread

Do we know what benefits an augmented tourism provide?

I understand that tourism help you aggressively propagate your culture, and that it can cause some happiness to people with different ideology, and win a cultural victory. But is there some advantage for the civ itself to have high tourism?

Else way brazil would be very tied to CV.

To see things through another perspective,placing Rio as capital of Brazil wouldn't be so different than placing Sydney as the capital of Australia .

Or like having Kyoto as the Japanese capital and Thebes as the Egyptian capital instead of Tokyo and Cairo

To see things through another perspective,placing Rio as capital of Brazil wouldn't be so different than placing Sydney as the capital of Australia .

Was Sydney ever the capital of Australia? My Aussie history is shaky...

Do we know what benefits an augmented tourism provide?

I understand that tourism help you aggressively propagate your culture, and that it can cause some happiness to people with different ideology, and win a cultural victory. But is there some advantage for the civ itself to have high tourism?

Else way brazil would be very tied to CV.

You gain influence over other civilizations through tourism if I understand correctly, allowing you to create problems for opposing civilizations with different ideologies.

Hailing from Brasília, I really have nothing to add other than "HUE HUE HUE HUE BR BR BR".

Oh, also, I believe Salvador should be the capital. Cangaceiros or farroupilhas, the UA.

You're technically right, but still, the Empire of Brazil wouldn't have grown if it wasn't for the Bandeirantes. Bandeirantes though are related to slavery and that's f-ed up. Cangaceiros would be an awesome pick! Imagine having Lampião as a Brazilian Great General. Amazing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lampiao

You should really stop asking for that. The cangaceiros were brutal outlaws who castrated men, raped women and terrorized Brazil's countryside in the early 20th century. Start learning some history before saying those kind of things. It's outrageous. What's next? Serial Killers as USA's UUs?

You should really stop asking for that. The cangaceiros were brutal outlaws who castrated men, raped women and terrorized Brazil's countryside in the early 20th century. Start learning some history before saying those kind of things. It's outrageous. What's next? Serial Killers as USA's UUs?
Dexter as Great General, yes!

That's Genghis Khan and his Mongol horde

Frankly I think Rio is more well-known around the world and associated with Brazil than Brasilia. Between that and the fact that it's the historically accurate choice, and I'd be amazed if Brasilia was the capital.

There is no such thing as a "historically accurate choice", since it's not taking Imperial Brazil as an example (only if it's in a scenario), but its whole history. And being more well-known is actually a negative aspect, because it reinforces the stereotype that it IS indeed the current capital.

Yes, cangaceiros are a pretty stupid idea. It should be Bandeirantes. Or they might not use a UU at all.

There is no such thing as a "historically accurate choice", since it's not taking Imperial Brazil as an example (only if it's in a scenario), but its whole history. And being more well-known is actually a negative aspect, because it reinforces the stereotype that it IS indeed the current capital.

The cities tend to be associated with their leaders and Rio was the capital under Pedro II, no? I get that you don't want people to mistakenly believe that Brasilia is not the current capital, but it just doesn't make sense for Brasilia to be the capital in-game.

The cities tend to be associated with their leaders and Rio was the capital under Pedro II, no? I get that you don't want people to mistakenly believe that Brasilia is not the current capital, but it just doesn't make sense for Brasilia to be the capital in-game.

Yeah? Take Poland for example. During Casimir's reign, Kraków was the capital of Poland. It doesn't have to be historically accurate

Yeah? Take Poland for example. During Casimir's reign, Kraków was the capital of Poland. It doesn't have to be historically accurate

That's true, which is exactly why I said "tends". Meanwhile, Brasilia literally did not exist during Pedro II's reign.

Quite oddly, I'm on CivFanatics for years but I seldom posted anything in here. I'm actually more active on Wikipedia (all those articles about Pedro I, Pedro II, Empire of Brazil, etc... were written by me).

I'm glad to see Brazil as a playable civilization on the game. It was about time in my opinion. However, if you don't mind, I'd like to make a few comments regarding Brazilian UUs:

Bandeirante (roughly "Flag-bearer"): Brazil did not expanded its territory in the colonial period because of the Bandeirantes. In fact, Portuguese America was then divided in the State of Maranhão (present-day states of Amazonas, Pará, Maranhão and Piauí) and the State of Brazil (everything else down to Sacramento (in present-day Uruguay). The inhabitants of Portuguese America did not regard themselves "Brazilians". They saw themselves as Portuguese, subjects of the Portuguese king. Although the Bandeirantes (Flag-bearers) are unique to Brazil's history (and not to Portugal), they belong to na era when Brazil did not exist as a nation. The Bandeirantes were Portuguese-born, Indian and Mixed-blood (sons of Indians and Portuguese) explorers, Indian slavers, mercenaries and gold searchers. They did not create settlements. Settlements, which led to Portuguese America's territorial expansion, were created by Portuguese troops (there are still many remnants of Portuguese fortresses across Brazil that eventually evolved into settlements and finally into towns).

Imperial Guarda de Honra (Imperial Guard of Honor): The cavalry Guards dressed in white and gold helmets were created in 1822 and existed until 1831. They are known nowadays incorrectly as "Dragões da Independência" (Independence Dragoons). They were not dragoons, but cavalrymen and they had no part in Brazil's Independence. When the painter Pedro Américo painted the famous "Shout of the Ipiranga" which depicts the then-Prince Dom Pedro (later Emperor Dom Pedro I) declaring Brazil's Independence on 7 September 1822, he dressed Pedro's entourage with the later Guard of Honor's uniforms, even though they had not been created yet. It was a mistake caused by Pedro Américo: the Prince was followed by a guard of honor (some were military officers, others were civilians, all were volunteers to accompany Pedro during his trip in the province of São Paulo), but not the Imperial Guard of Honor which was created in late 1822.

Batalhão do Imperador (Emperor's Battalion): this was the infantry equivalent to the cavalry Imperial Guard of Honor. The celebrated Duke of Caxias (back when he was young and decades before he became a titled nobleman) was part of it. The Emperor's Battalion fought in the War of Independence (in the province of Bahia) and later in the Cisplatine War. It was disbanded along with the Imperial Guard of Honor in 1831. Since both betrayed the Emperor, they were regarded a threat by the government after Pedro I abdicated. (the future Duke of Caxias was na exception: he remained loyal to Pedro I to the very end)

Voluntário da Pátria (Fatherland Volunteer): the Fatherland Volunteers were created in early 1865. Every civilian who volunteered or was conscripted to fight the Paraguayans in the Paraguayan War became a Fatherland Volunteer. They came from all over Brazil. They were ordinary citizens, with no military training. Five years of brutal warfare turned them into highly experienced, battle-hardened men, equiped with state-of-the-art weapons.

Cangaceiro: they were outlaws, bandits, criminals who raped women, castrated men and robbed and ransacked towns. I feel insulted when I see a few people on this forum suggesting these brutal criminals as possible UUs of Brazil. I only mentioned the cangaceiros to make clear that we should stop talking about them. It's really offensive. It's like proposing serial killers as USA's UUs. Disgusting.

Final verdict: the Fatherland Volunteers. Brazilians from every province became Fatherland Volunteers. They are the only truly national unit that could represent Brazil and all Brazilians.

He also Trebucheted plague bodies into a city and piled up prisoners of war to build a platform to climb city walls.

Ah yes, the great Mongol, who outlawed the raping of women and pillaging of homes, established religious equality, and made the Silk Road one cohesive unit. How horrible.

As much as I respect Genghis Khan for his positive qualities - religious tolerance, promotion based on merit and not birth, and his respect for worthy adversaries and so on, he was... not the most pleasant conqueror to begin with. Though personally I think Tamerlane is worst.

Anyhow, back on Brazil, I think the UU will be the Fatherland Corps/Volunteers/whatever they are. They're also from Pedro II's time, anyways, so it fits.

For the ones interested on seeing how the Imperial Guard of Honor and the Fatherland Volunteers looked like:

Fatherland Volunteers (1865-1870) (from left to right): commanding officer, alferes (second lieutenant) and soldier.

Imperial Guard of Honor (1822-31) (from left to right): soldier (on horseack) and captain (commanding officer).

P.S.: These images were scanned from a book published in 1922 by the Brazilian federal government. Thus, they are in public domain.

P.S.2: Regardless if Pedro II is the leader Brasília has to be the national capital. It wouldn't make any sense to see either Rio de Janeiro or Salvador (who was the capital for a longer time than any other) as the capital.

Attachments

• Fatherland Volunteers small.jpg
    Fatherland Volunteers small.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Imperial Guard of Honor small.jpg
    Imperial Guard of Honor small.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 120
The capitals of China, America and England (at least) in-game aren't historically accurate for those leaders. In fact, London was never capital of independent England, and can be argued not to be capital of the UK now.

The capitals of China, America and England (at least) in-game aren't historically accurate for those leaders. In fact, London was never capital of independent England, and can be argued not to be capital of the UK now.

America - New York City (1789-1790); Philadelphia (1790-1800); George Washington died before Washington D.C was the capital of the US; Washington D.C was named after George Washington

China - Chang'an (618-904); Wu Zetian reign as empress for the Second Zhou Dynasty or Tang Dynasty, not China

England - Westminster (1066-1649); London was not the capital of England when Elizabeth I reigned. England is basically the Kingdom of England in its real-life counterpart. London became the capital of England during the Commonwealth of England in 1649

Top Bottom