Brazil

To be fair conquistadors (more like scouts than not IRL) were some of the first European soldiers to use gunpowder weapons. So there's that.
I think that a tech column, and especially one that transitions to a new era represents a long time span, though. So from first to seconds would be enough an entire column transition?

I think a stronger point is this though:

It's pretty clear that Renaissance is not just intended to represent from the colonial period to napoleonic and then ending at the start of the industrial era, but also to be a symbolic start of the "gunpowder age". Since it's not tied to a historical date, I think that these symbolisms ("gunpowder starts here") are more important than trying to determine a specific date in which things start or have been discovered. Which is why it's so weird to have gun units before that. It's not really a matter of academic accuracy but more a psychological, more basic feeling of where things belong.

Is it possible to just move back the "allows embarked units to cross ocean" effect to a different tech?

I think Brazil is pretty imbalanced. Most of the games AI Brazil is the best nation at all. I mean war, economy, science and culture.
When I played Brazil first (Prince difficulty) i was at Industrial Era, while others were at Medieval or even Classical. I was pretty suprised, as usually i never achieved something like that.

I think Brazil is pretty imbalanced. Most of the games AI Brazil is the best nation at all. I mean war, economy, science and culture.
When I played Brazil first (Prince difficulty) i was at Industrial Era, while others were at Medieval or even Classical. I was pretty suprised, as usually i never achieved something like that.
That has not been my experience, the AI Brazil usually does poorly.

Imho Brazil is only significantly imbalanced if someone succeeds in getting "apostolic tradition" as the founder belief, in that case it's very easy for Brazil to get a cultural victory. Otherwise it seems well balanced both in human and AI's hands.

That has not been my experience, the AI Brazil usually does poorly.

I won an austria game and despite starting fast and wonder whoring brazil was destroyed by shaka before renaissance. :(
brazil usually can't hold on if there is ANY semi aggressive civ.

I can also agree with ElliotS, I've seen Brazil at both the top and bottoms of my rankings.

I remember them more at the top because of negative reinforcement, but distinctly remember a number of times where they were at the bottom.

I played 2 games recently and in both of them Brazil ended up Influential on most Civs in the game by 230 or so, in the game where Brazil was AI he actually ended up influential on everyone else but me (I made a much more detailed post about said games in the Civ Stories thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-stories-go-here.572957/page-4#post-14949142). The 9/7 patch changed it so that stacking Golden Ages will still give Brazil Tourism/Gold from his UA and there have been a couple additions to GA points in Artistry as well since then.

I think he might need a small nerf to his UA Tourism, has anyone else been seeing him do really well?

I played 2 games recently and in both of them Brazil ended up Influential on most Civs in the game by 230 or so, in the game where Brazil was AI he actually ended up influential on everyone else but me (I made a much more detailed post about said games in the Civ Stories thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-stories-go-here.572957/page-4#post-14949142). The 9/7 patch changed it so that stacking Golden Ages will still give Brazil Tourism/Gold from his UA and there have been a couple additions to GA points in Artistry as well since then.

I think he might need a small nerf to his UA Tourism, has anyone else been seeing him do really well?

I don't know if I've ever been in a game where the AI Brazil won. From my pov, if he's not winning an unusual amount of the time, there's no problem.

I rarely see Brazil AI do well, other early-snoball civs often seem to do better than Pedro even in the cultural front.

There's a caveat in my case, though: I often play in the Continents map. Your two games on Civ Stories were on Pangaea. That changes the benefit of the UA (and Bandeirantes) a lot, since all the early tourism that Pedro gets from early Golden Ages don't reach half of the civs in Continents. Overall, Brazil's strength varies based on whether the map separates the civs into two (or more) continents. I haven't found Brazil overpowered in Continents, so a nerf due to Pangaea gameplay seems preposterous.

It may be the case of transfering Brazil's extra tourism from the UA more towards the lategame, though, if just to make the civ more consistent across map types.

I have a mechanics question.

There are various effects (hermitage is one of them) which grant tourism as a percentage of a city's culture, right? However, only certain sources count, including tile improvements. So you could earn culture from moai or chateux. My question is, do monopolies count towards that? It doens't say so, and if they don't the move to make brazilwood function as a monopoly rather than the tile itself really hurt brazil

doesn't the monopoly affect the brazilwood tile improvement itself, like every other +base yield monopoly? So, I would think, a city working on it will get culture in its city. I would not believe that hermitage would specifically evaluate culture sources, instead of going straight to what it says in the city yields. What certain sources don't count @CrazyG ?

I have a mechanics question.

There are various effects (hermitage is one of them) which grant tourism as a percentage of a city's culture, right? However, only certain sources count, including tile improvements. So you could earn culture from moai or chateux. My question is, do monopolies count towards that? It doens't say so, and if they don't the move to make brazilwood function as a monopoly rather than the tile itself really hurt brazil

Monopolies affect tile yields, which affect tourism.

Does any pantheon improve the yield of a brazilwood camp, directly or otherwise?

Top Bottom