Bring back Health

JanissaryRush

Warlord
Treat health just like happiness. -1 per population, some wonders, civic bonuses, buildings that give health or reduce it.

Having -1 health give -1 food for each city wouldn’t work. Instead you get 1-2 less food total for the empire, that affects the capital and then down the list. For example, you have 5 cities, -4 health. The first 4 cities have -1 food. -6 health and all cities have -1 food, capital has -2, etc.

I agree that health should be brought back into the game in some capacity, but I don't think duplicating another already existing mechanic is really the way to go. There is no need to add something into the game if its effects will be exactly the same as are already in the game in another feature. I would recommend that health be reintroduced, but with a different focus to happiness.

I agree that health should be brought back into the game in some capacity, but I don't think duplicating another already existing mechanic is really the way to go. There is no need to add something into the game if its effects will be exactly the same as are already in the game in another feature. I would recommend that health be reintroduced, but with a different focus to happiness.

I think health should be brought back in some way that fits the game. Same with religion. Just because Fraxis made a new game with new features doesn't mean they can't look back on some aspects that made other Civ games great and then add them to CiV which would make an even better game.

Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. But perhaps instead of duplicating what happiness focuses on, a health feature could be targeted to balancing another area of the game. It could deal specifically with local balancing, for example, as opposed to the global scale of happiness.

Reintroducing health benefits from multiple types of food resources, as in civIV would add some much desired flavor to them.

I could imagine health being introduced as a multiplier of the food surplus in the same way as "We love the king day", the landed elite SP and the unhappiness penalty. (I'm a bit puzzled that the hospital and medical lab doesn't function in the same manner, even though it's similar. Alternatively, health could build on this mechanic and store more food as a city grows if that separation is desireable.) Assuming health is local or get local upgrades and worsens with population, this would probably put further preference to many small cities above a few larger though, so the ICS mess needs to be resolved first. Alternatively, health could start off at it's worst (as it effectively is right now) and only be possible to improve through buildings and resources.

Top Bottom