New Map Overview 1.17

Please consider the offer:
  • Opium: +1 commerce -1 happiness -1 health (3 cities), +3 commerce with Plantation

Reason: the world experience of opium use.
I think a good (and the right) compromise position would be
  • Opium: +1 commerce, +1 happiness, -1 health (3 cities), +3 commerce with Plantation.
Druggies aren't like dissidents/slaves/unemployed young people in one key regard: it's much harder (not easier) to revolt while you're high. Most revolutionaries -- even in societies that were infested with drugs like Qing China -- were not heavy opiate users.

Plus, for most of human history opiates were considered a luxury for the rich.

• Opium: +1 commerce -1 happiness -1 health (3 cities), +3 commerce with Plantation

So that no one gets the impression that the use of opium makes a person happier.
Given its historical use as an early painkiller, especially in early warfare, I'd say health would probably be a more appropriate yield than happiness.

Given its historical use as an early painkiller, especially in early warfare, I'd say health would probably be a more appropriate yield than happiness.
I didn't know that. Interesting .... I love this mod.

This is what a Qing government official would say

It seems to me that opium and other drugs are not represented for the same reasons as meat corporations, so as not to disturb someone's minds =)

Incorrect.

It seems to me that opium and other drugs are not represented for the same reasons as meat corporations, so as not to disturb someone's minds =)
Fortunately, the developer of this mod creates it without looking back at political and social activists, giving and taking away different features from different peoples just to ensure that the simulation of history remains unscripted, but similar enough to reality.
Within the dimensions of the map, of course, which affects the amount of detail.

So that no one gets the impression that the use of opium makes a person happier.
I can't speak from personal experience, but I'm pretty sure opium causes a lot of short-term happiness.

Given its historical use as an early painkiller, especially in early warfare
When using opium as an painkiller, opium addiction was underestimated. The defeat of China in the war with Japan in 1894-1895, which was largely the result of opiomania among soldiers.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I'm pretty sure opium causes a lot of short-term happiness.
After a short-term happiness, a long-term addiction begins, the psyche and personality of a person are disturbed, health, work, family are lost, and with an overdose it ends in death.

Don't think any resource directly causes negative effect, though they do it through corporation effects.

I guess there could be a drug trade corporation or something, but it's questionable whether it should be represented in the mod

I think a good (and the right) compromise position would be
  • Opium: +1 commerce, +1 happiness, -1 health (3 cities), +3 commerce with Plantation.
Druggies aren't like dissidents/slaves/unemployed young people in one key regard: it's much harder (not easier) to revolt while you're high. Most revolutionaries -- even in societies that were infested with drugs like Qing China -- were not heavy opiate users.

Plus, for most of human history opiates were considered a luxury for the rich.
Someone has never done cocaine.

This is a thread to allow people to look at the new map. I will not follow and track any discussion or discussion here.

Hi, I want to note that Israel was covered in forests in ancient times, also Greece, Ireland and some Mediterranean Islands (Crete, Cyprus, Sardinia) might be considered.
Wales was covered in forests, and that's why the celts survived the Romans there.
I think I already suggested Greenland some time ago

Last edited:
Top Bottom