BTS FALLACY - Charles de Gaulle has NEVER ruled France!

Heinz Guderian

Chieftain
Charles de Gaulle was the leader of the "Free French government in Exile" and then president of the "Fifth Republic". As you can see from the picture below, what is nowadays called "France" is NOT the same as what was called "the Free French government in exile" during the German Occupation of World War II. Nor is it the same as the Fifth Republic in the Sixties.

Hence, it's totally unrespectful of History to consider de Gaulle as a ruler of a civ called "France". Actually, it would be exactly the same as considering Charlemagne as the ruler of the Holy Roman Empire.

De Gaulle might be considered a German leader just as well. The name "de Gaulle" comes from the Germanic form, "De Walle," (meaning "the wall"): much of the old French nobility descended from Germanic lineages and often bore Germanic names. So, if de Gaulle had been born earlier than the Iron Age (as he does in the game), he would have been originally from a German tribe.

So now, the question Firaxis should ask itself is : "What could we do when we make such an awful ridiculous fallacy that will make laugh the whole world and we realize it so close to the game release ?"

There's only three choices :
• Change the name of the leader (Alain Poher or even Philippe Pétain being more obvious representatives of France)
• Change the name of the civ (probably "French Government in Exile")
• Remove the whole civ or keep it strictly for a scenario.

I'm sorry but I'm French, and I can tell you from the French perspective of somebody who has very good historical knowledge based on Wikipedia, that it does matter for me to see all of a sudden de Gaulle being forced onto the History of my country!

I thought France is still in the Fifth Republic? Did they change to a Sixth when I wasn't looking?

:rotfl:

I actually agree with Marla Singer on the whole Charlemagne thing. But regardless that was still very funny, despite it's flaws.

I believe that when ever a protest or strike that involves at least two people occurs it changes. ;)

I thought France is still in the Fifth Republic? Did they change to a Sixth when I wasn't looking?

I'm sorry but I'm French, and I can tell you from the French perspective of somebody who has very good historical knowledge based on Wikipedia, that it does matter for me to see all of a sudden de Gaulle being forced onto the History of my country!

LOL man, you made my day :lol: :lol:

PS: for anyone not getting it, this post is sarcastic... (hint)

Well, Charles de Gaulle did rule France both at the liberation (1944-1946) and later as a President (1958-1969).

However, a funny thing is that Frederick II of Prussia, currently represented as leader of the German Civilization, actually also had the title of Prince-elector of the Holy Roman Empire... making it more legitimate to rule that civilization than Charlemagne ! :lol:

Quite funny, though.
P.S. I wouldn't make fun of somebody who has about 10,000 more posts than you, and who has actually made things for the Civ community. ;)

At first I read the first call of action as "Change the leader to Alan" and I though, "Who's Alan?". :crazyeye:

Even if you look at this map:

The dark blue show the size of de Gaulle rule. And France is only a very small part of that :eek:

Obviously, de Gaulle should be a leader for Mali!

Ha ha... It just occurred to me... If Hitler were ever included, it'd probably spark a huge debate over which civ he should be a leader of. He was Austrian, after all, not German...

Austria uber alles!

Sweet.

Another important point: de Gaulle lived for a short time in Belgium... a country that does not exist!

Only their chocolate remains. ;_;

De Gaulle might be considered a German leader just as well. The name "de Gaulle" comes from the Germanic form, "De Walle," (meaning "the wall"): much of the old French nobility descended from Germanic lineages and often bore Germanic names. So, if de Gaulle had been born earlier than the Iron Age (as he does in the game), he would have been originally from a German tribe.
Earlier than iron time there is in Middle Europe Celts or People who are named so.

Btw
Is there anyone, (we have any information about) who is natural americain or irish or any other country, if you go in history 3000 years BC.

Top Bottom