• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[BtS] Rise of Mankind 2

OK, are those two files ALL you need to install? As in

1. Install 2.12 RoM
2. Delete Python folder
3. Install RevolutionDCM

is the whole process? I have reinstalled these things 4 times now and I always get errors when starting a game. And I have redownloaded the files again as well.

Please, please PLEASE can someone update the list of instructions? I have wasted 4 hours trying to play when I should be playing. It's most annoying.

Copy the CvPath file into the /Python dir?

OK, are those two files ALL you need to install? As in

1. Install 2.12 RoM
2. Delete Python folder
3. Install RevolutionDCM

is the whole process? I have reinstalled these things 4 times now and I always get errors when starting a game. And I have redownloaded the files again as well.

Please, please PLEASE can someone update the list of instructions? I have wasted 4 hours trying to play when I should be playing. It's most annoying.
That's what I do (and I forgot to mention the delete Python folder business above, :blush:). Or, to be more specific: I unzip v2.12 to an empty folder, delete python folder, unzip the addon on top of that, then copy/move to the Mods folder.

@MrWhereItsAt

The instructions mentioned above are the right ones. If you still have errors on loading then have a look at Rise of Mankind folder. If it has another folder with the same name inside it, cut this folder, go one folder up to mods folder, paste the extra Rise of Mankind folder there. You will be asked if you allow files to be overwritten, answer ok.

If your installation process is correct but you still find the game has no interface then you need to replace the CvPath.py file with the one in the zip file under Rise of Mankind. This file should go to assets\Python in case you have RevDCM.

I sure hope that you will start enjoying the mod rather than being frustrated by failing trials to get it working.

Edit: One note about the ExtraCiv pack. It is true that it is not compatible with RoM2.12. It does however work with it most of the time without big issues. Zappara promised to provide a patch once he has enough time. In the time being you still can install it if you like. I recommend that you install it after installing RoM2.12 and before RevDCM. After installing RevDCM remember to install the little patch that makes both add-ons compatible with each others. You will find it in a rar file under Rise of Mankind (it comes with RevDCM add-on).

Can't play any scenario maps from BTS like Earth, Earth 9 civs, South America, and some done by me... And I don't understand why!

Ok, from what i've seen the trade looks fixed. I managed to trade clams for cotton (that was valueless previously). That's not always easy to get something usefull from our ressources (i mean, other ressources), but the computer at least propose a few golds/turn for them.
However dyes are still valueless for the computer, no way to trade it. That may mean the IA isn't completly stupid, as actually it's useless without a theatre. But that may also mean something has to be changed (ie effect of the ressources or value for IA). ;)

I also noticed i haven't spotted any Apple up to now. But maybe it appeared on another continent and i'll see it later.

Hi Zappara,
I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for creating this mod. Its the least I can do considering how many hours I've already spent playing it. I'll always give huge credit to Sid and company for creating the Civ series and making such a damn good game. Yet ever since Civ I I've always wished that they would make the game more like your mod (I also loved the Rise and Rule and Double your Pleasure mods for Civ III ). The vanilla Civ seems more geared towards main stream gameplay. Sid and co. needs to make a Civ game for the hardcore Civ fans (hint Civ V). More technologies, units, resources, etc. makes for more choices, strategies, tough decisions. I also love the snails pace setting and thanks for incorporating DCM. Your mod is outstanding and I'm sure I'll be playing it for a long time to come! Thanks for your time and effort. Great work!

Great mod, thanks a bunch, just one question, how can I add more civilizations to your mod? Not from the extra pack, but just from other mods, if I simply put additional civ in Custom Civilizations folder it wont work, right?

Can't play any scenario maps from BTS like Earth, Earth 9 civs, South America, and some done by me... And I don't understand why!
Those scenario maps from BtS won't work with Rise of Mankind due to all the changes RoM has. Those maps would have to be converted to Rise of Mankind settings first: Starting civics (2 new categories), max amount of Civs (17->40) and starting techs.

Ok, from what i've seen the trade looks fixed. I managed to trade clams for cotton (that was valueless previously). That's not always easy to get something usefull from our ressources (i mean, other ressources), but the computer at least propose a few golds/turn for them.
However dyes are still valueless for the computer, no way to trade it. That may mean the IA isn't completly stupid, as actually it's useless without a theatre. But that may also mean something has to be changed (ie effect of the ressources or value for IA). ;)

I also noticed i haven't spotted any Apple up to now. But maybe it appeared on another continent and i'll see it later.
That's good to hear that AI players now value those resources :) Apples should appear only in one part of the map / on one continent because it's set to be area resource.

The vanilla Civ seems more geared towards main stream gameplay. Sid and co. needs to make a Civ game for the hardcore Civ fans (hint Civ V). More technologies, units, resources, etc. makes for more choices, strategies, tough decisions. I also love the snails pace setting and thanks for incorporating DCM. Your mod is outstanding and I'm sure I'll be playing it for a long time to come! Thanks for your time and effort. Great work!
Yeah, main stream gameplay is what makes the most money so Sid and co. have to take that into consideration when making these games - they also have deadline when they got to have the game ready, while we modders don't have such limits. By the way, if you look the credits list from 1st page, you'll see how big "design team" this mod actually has, I've been just the "director" that have put all the stuff together.

Let's just hope Sid and co. keep making these games for years to come and keep these Civ games modder friendly. Their basic game may not be always as complex as we'd like it to be but I'm sure we modders can "fix" this problem. I just wanted first to make mod for myself, a mod that I like to play - I'm happy that others enjoy it too. :)

Great mod, thanks a bunch, just one question, how can I add more civilizations to your mod? Not from the extra pack, but just from other mods, if I simply put additional civ in Custom Civilizations folder it wont work, right?
Modular civs can be added but there's couple changes you need to make to their xml files. In civilizationinfos.xml starting civics need to match the ones in RoM and the same thing with starting techs. Unique unit needs to be checked that its settings match the settings for same unit class in RoM. Again same thing for unique building.

Hello,
i'm using ROM2.12 clean install on a BTS 3.13 version. Usually i have no problems with ROM but recently it starts to crash all the time.

Its in the industrial/modern era. In one game i started modern times, standard map, marathon speed. After founding 3 cities and about 50 turns more the game crashes all the time at the same turn.

Other game industrial/standard map/marathon after some hundred turns the same happens. I tried reloading savegames in both cases and changing everything i do.. Even checked worldbuilder out if any AI player was finishing some weird unit/world wonder, but they didnt.

Does this happen more often in the modern eras or just a general issues i havent stumbled over yet?

I also get more and more crashes as I advance into the modern era. However I still believe the gross part of the crashes has something to do with memory issues. A while ago I had a lot of crashes too and I lowered my graphics settings, low resolution textures and so on => a lot less crashes... But now it starts again. I hope I can play my game to the end. Next time I'll start a smaller map, maybe the new gigantic size maps are too much for my 2GB RAM???

Greetings
Codex

P.S.
Zappara, did you read my post from Jun 12 ??

Ah... Zappara something else:

I saw that there are some unit pictures missing / double used. I could make some for you, if you like.
(Like the Modern Grenadier Pic is the same as the standard grenadier, or the airplane mission pics which look very similar - I could maybe make some that are more distinguishable).

Just let me know which ones you need (and also file-format, color-depth, resolution etc...)

I's love to contribute, where I can...

Thanx a lot for this great mod...

Codex

Its in the industrial/modern era. In one game i started modern times, standard map, marathon speed. After founding 3 cities and about 50 turns more the game crashes all the time at the same turn.

Other game industrial/standard map/marathon after some hundred turns the same happens. I tried reloading savegames in both cases and changing everything i do.. Even checked worldbuilder out if any AI player was finishing some weird unit/world wonder, but they didnt.

Does this happen more often in the modern eras or just a general issues i havent stumbled over yet?
Most common issue for crashes is that the save game file grows too big and game starts to experience memory allocation faults. This usually happens in late game situations. There's some instructions on these forums to allow BtS to use more than 3GB memory but I don't have now link to that thread (it's been posted before in this thread). There's of course possibility that some object in RoM has bugs and is causing crashes - problem is just locating those bugs as RoM is quite large mod at the moment.

I also get more and more crashes as I advance into the modern era. However I still believe the gross part of the crashes has something to do with memory issues. A while ago I had a lot of crashes too and I lowered my graphics settings, low resolution textures and so on => a lot less crashes... But now it starts again. I hope I can play my game to the end. Next time I'll start a smaller map, maybe the new gigantic size maps are too much for my 2GB RAM???

Greetings
Codex

P.S.
Zappara, did you read my post from Jun 12 ??
Yes, gigantic map size is too much for 2GM RAM, you'll need 3GB or more for very large maps. However I do not know how BtS 3.17 version handles now large map sizes, I hope they improved the stability and got rid of those memory allocation faults.. I'm just installing BtS patch and I'll probably have to update RoM for this new BtS version.

And yes, I did read your earlier post. I think it would require SDK changes to make Open border agreement to work differently for diplomacy and for units. Might be difficult to change those diplomacy features (I don't do SDK modding myself so I have no clue how hard it is).

Ah... Zappara something else:

I saw that there are some unit pictures missing / double used. I could make some for you, if you like.
(Like the Modern Grenadier Pic is the same as the standard grenadier, or the airplane mission pics which look very similar - I could maybe make some that are more distinguishable).

Just let me know which ones you need (and also file-format, color-depth, resolution etc...)
I think I updated icon for Modern Grenadier in v2.1. I know there's still some units/buildings etc. with duplicate icons and I intend to "fix" those whenever possible. I have vast collection of button files and I do make some of them myself. Lately FK2006's Button thread has been good source for new buttons - I have all of his buttons on my harddrive and I'm updating RoM objects in future patches with those icons. Button files are size of 64x64 pixels, dds format, no mipmaps, colors 32bit, and there's alpha channel that sets button visibility edges.

Great mod. As a player since the first CIV, this is what I've always been looking for: the added realistic depth, the resources, the units, everything. Great work!
Thanks. Always happy to hear that there are others who like to have more complex games just like I do. :)

Midsummer festivals are over now here in Finland - survived another one even though I got bloated with all the good food we were grilling outside at summer cabin. :p

Saw that BtS got update so I'm downloading it now and soon start checking what changes need to be made to RoM to make it compatible with newest BtS version. I hope there aren't many needed changes.

Hey zap, I have been getting crashes fairly frequently in the mid-late game now. Perhaps this is unavoidable, but the only time there is a crash is when I open one of the Advisor screens. This doesn't happen every time I open one of those screens, nor does it happen for the same screen each time, but after about 30 minutes of play (3-4 turns) it will happen.

Is this somehow the most likely part to cause a MAF, or perhaps there's something odd going on..?

Yes, late in a heavy game, it is quite likely that diverting to an adviser screen could cause a MAF. Simply because this changes what the screen displays requiring what is already displayed to be retired to some area of memory causing a need for memory which if not available the MAF hits. It differs from early in a session to late in the same session because BTS notoriously manages memory poorly so the longer you play the more memory is leaked and lost and the less memory is available for any new request.

Yeah, that's the same impression that I got. It seems that memory is lost every turn you play until you get out of memory. You wont notice that in the early game because you have enough memory left (to be wasted). However when your savegame grows larger it crashes earlier. In the beginning my game never crashed as long as I played, then it began to crash like every 20 turns, then every 8 turns and now it crashes every other turn (...this is no fun anymore :( ) Looks like a funtion of savegame-size, memory and playtime...

Hopefully the did something about their memory management in 3.17!

Greetings
Codex

Version 2.2 uploaded. Mod is now converted to BtS version 3.17 (but not tested much yet). The update is full mod so please rename previously installed 'Rise of Mankind' -folder to something else or delete it. Unzipping new version on top of previous one will not work.

Version 2.2 uploaded. Mod is now converted to BtS version 3.17 (but not tested much yet). The update is full mod so please rename previously installed 'Rise of Mankind' -folder to something else or delete it. Unzipping new version on top of previous one will not work.

Awesome! I can't wait to get home to try it out.

On a sidenote, where can I find an online list of all the new units/resources/buildings etc. for RoM? Is there a RoM online database anywhere?

@ramatheson

There's no online database for RoM so my advice is to go through civilopedia and the new tech tree first. It will take most likely couple games before you start to remember how all the new things work. Civilopedia's Unit Upgrade tree helps you to see the bigger picture how the unit upgrade lines go.

Top Bottom