BTS Unaltered Gameplay Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again. Thanks for the responses, they actually proved quite helpful and running this as a mod seems to work just fine! There is now a problem coming up when I open the ctrl-alt-O options screen in that once open I can't close it again. I remember reading about this somewhere in here but could not find the post, (I "only" spent 5 min looking before I decided to post), so if you have a solution I am open for it. A lot of things are clicked off and I would like to change that but as right now the screen is being stubborn I can't. :cry:

Usually this happens when the BUG Mod.ini is not in place (that is, in the same folder in which the CustomAssets or Assets folder are).

There is now a problem coming up when I open the ctrl-alt-O options screen in that once open I can't close it again.

This problem is caused because some option is writing to a section that doesn't exist in the INI file. When we add options, we update the INI file in the repository. You need to make sure to update your INI with the same changes or just copy over your old INI with the new one (you'll lose your settings).

If this doesn't fix it, it means that a new section was created but not committed to the repository. I haven't added a new section in a while, and I updated fully last night with no trouble. let me know if updating the INI file doesn't solve the problem.

If you can, please paset the Python error from PythonErr.log if you have logging enabled.

I did a rough cut of aligning the icons in the scoreboard. I created very faded versions of the icons that I use instead of a blank space (the game seems to detect an empty character icon and just not display it).

It works and looks nice, but there's something I want to do before I commit it. When no one shows a particular icon, I'd like to collapse the empty space. This happens a lot for "Defensive Pact" and often enough for the others: OB and TN in the beginning and Religion once everyone's gone Free Religion.

Fixing this wouldn't be too painful. I'd have to first calculate all the things to display and store them in a list in memory. Only then would I use the list to draw to the screen. I could also easily trim the list (show top X players) at the same time.

The Flavor BUG mod is a stand-alone or I have to install the original BUG mod first?

@Arlborn
IIRC, it comes complete with BUG, but I could be wrong.

OK thanks. I can't try it out right now, that is why I am asking!

If you could make the faded icons along the player's line completely invisible, that'd be even better IMO.

Yes, the TN, OB and DP icons will never be active for the player, so it looks odd to show the faded versions. Same thing with the attitude icon.

Last night I noticed that there is an API function to get the length of a rendered string, Thus, I could remove the faded versions of the icons and just have empty space. I actually like the look of the faded icons (transparency usually looks neat).

This would also make lining up other parts of the score possible, for example having the names all be flush-right to each other. As soon as you can see the tech for a single civ, all civ names would slide out left to fit in the tech for the 1 civ.

I was also looking into replacing the tech with its icon. The small icons on the TechChooser screen are 24 pixels square. The scores are currently 22 pixels line-to-line. This means switching to using tech icons would require expanding the scores list vertically by at least 4 pixels per line so the icons don't touch.

This problem is caused because some option is writing to a section that doesn't exist in the INI file. When we add options, we update the INI file in the repository. You need to make sure to update your INI with the same changes or just copy over your old INI with the new one (you'll lose your settings).

If this doesn't fix it, it means that a new section was created but not committed to the repository. I haven't added a new section in a while, and I updated fully last night with no trouble. let me know if updating the INI file doesn't solve the problem.

If you can, please paset the Python error from PythonErr.log if you have logging enabled.

I tried updating the ini folder with both the .15 and the .5 flavor but it made no difference. I do have this as a mod with the customassets folder as assets placed in a folder called bug. Along with the assets folder I have the ini which actually says configurations settings and has a notebook with a cog for a picture. I looked in an auto log folder but did not see anything like the PythonErr.log file you requested, or anything at all for that matter. I do not remember if this options screen thing was an issue when I ran it the way you say it should be run, meaning not as mod but I guess just a general override. I may just go back to running it that way even though it limits my using other mods, as this is the main mod I like to play anyway. The flavor is awesome! I really just wish there was a way to merge some of the next war future techs into this???

Ok, I switched everything back to the BTS folder out of the mod folder and made the assets folder back to the customassets folder and it works fine again. Sheesh, I guess this is the only way to go?

first, thanks for responding to my comments ~ i was half-expecting it to be glossed over since i'm sure you guys have a thousand other things going on

2nd, no knock against Ruff nor his mod ~ i was pleased to help 'work out the kinks' (read: fry my computer from time to time :lol: ) for the Warlords one, and would love his combat log he incorporated to the logger

finally, re: 'terror' alerts, et al: i was joking about the actual colors, it was a very tongue-in-cheek reference, but the crux of the suggestion was to move away from teh numbers themselves (even you all say its confusing!), and make the representation of power on the score graph more iconic, e.g., like the Friendly-Mad relationship smileys ~ the problem is that i have absolutely no suggestions for an appropriate icon ~ the flexed "STR" icon for strong and a flaccid one for weak? :lol: hmmm...what else represents strength or power??? ahh, well, if i think of anything, i'll let you know

Finally. I have a version of the unit naming code that is ready for testing. It works to some degree but not perfectly - hence I have NOT put it in the repository.

Unfortunately, the part that I cannot get to work is the part that gets the unit naming convention from the ini file. How annoying. I am not sure what the problem is ... but it could have something to do with the ERA_UNITCLASS stuff that I tried to load into the ini file.

So, the onUnitBuild stuff has been disabled. However, if you have a unit in a city and you hit Ctrl-Alt-T, that unit should have its name changed based on the code that is in the python file.

EF - can you take a look at the read from ini file for me.

PS: I have lost my menu with my build ... or maybe I have lost it by alt tabbing into and out of BtS. Edit: Yes - this occurred because of my alt-tabbing. I loaded the game fresh and everything is working nicely.

Naming convention as coded ... note the change from '%' to '^' ...
Spoiler BtS Unit Naming Convention :

## Naming Convention
## - ^n^ - no naming convention, uses standard civ4
## - ^r^ - random name
## - ^rc^ - random civ related name
## - ^ct^ - City
## - ^v^ - Civilization
## - ^cnt[n]^ - count across all units (increments based on unit)
## - ^cntu[n]^ - count across same unit (increments based on unit)
## - ^cntct[n]^ - count across same city (increments based on unit)
## - ^cntuct[n]^ - count across same unit / city (increments based on unit)
## - ^cntc[n]^ - count across same combat type (increments based on combat type)
## - ^cntd[n]^ - count across same domain (increments based on domain)
## - ^tt1[n][x:y]^ - total where the total is a random number between x and y (number)
## - ^tt2[n][x]^ - total count (starts at x, incremented by 1 each time ^tt is reset to 1)
## - ^u^ - unit (eg Archer)
## - ^t^ - combat type (Melee)
## - ^d^ - domain (Water)
## - ^l^ - leader
##
## Where [n] can be either 's', 'A', 'a', 'p', 'g', 'n', 'o' or 'r' for ...
## - silent (not shown)
## - alpha (A, B, C, D, ...)
## - alpha (a, b, c, d, ...)
## - phonetic (alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo, ...)
## - greek (alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, ...)
## - number
## - ordinal (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ...)
## - roman (I, IV, V, X, ...)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/64034/Beyond_the_Sword.zip

@Ruff - Check your PMs in case you missed it.

Here's the latest update of the Aligned Icons feature. I have added the optional display of the tech icon instead of its name. I also changed "(WAR)" to the fist icon shown when a city is in revolt.

The columns can be reordered in Python by changing a single line. I'd like to make this available through the INI file. Once that's complete, I think it's finished.

Oh ya, I was also thinking of splitting up the score and civ name so the scores are aligned as well. What do you guys think so far?

Edit: I've committed the current version as it seems stable. Let me know of any issues. Also, if someone could try this out with a multiplayer game, that would be helpful. NetStats (ping), OOS (out of sync) and the current player (*) should show up, and I think the current player is supposed to blink (not sure, hard to tell from code).

EF - got the PM thanks. And I was thinking about the ini thing while trying to sleep and realized that I was using the code to get the values as if I had created all of those options (no way was I doing that) and that I needed some crude way of going direct to the ini file. Thx for supplying the required code.

Re the onKbdEvent event - yeah, some things in there that I could improve but I was only using it for testing. But thx anyway. Will update my code, test and committ it if it seems to work. I will then only have the nasty read-me file to produce and handle errors as they pour in.

oops, also, re the score board. There is an option to show the leader name as well as the civ - can you turn that on and see if it scrolls off the screen.

Not to be annoying, but if there was a way that this could be compatible with say [BTS] Expanded Epic Game (fixed Next War) by Chiyu(sp?), that would be great. Or if you could create a switch to shut off the effects to allow for the divergent indulgence in altered game play, instead of having to move everything to a different folder each time.
Oh, and I love this mod by the way. The strength rating in the score listing is great, the options are all intuitive and the info provided is spot on for learning what everything means. I especially love the warning/notification system for growth/trades ect. Anyway, I know this is a lot of work, I have tried some modding myself and though I can only cut and paste, even that can get to cumbersome! So thanks again and if you can't get this working with other mods like Next War, no worries, the product is far worth the inconvenience. :goodjob:

There is an option to show the leader name as well as the civ - can you turn that on and see if it scrolls off the screen.

The scoreboard is drawn from right-to-left, so enabling that option (I just tested) pushes the scores out to the left.

Not to be annoying, but if there was a way that this could be compatible with say [BTS] Expanded Epic Game (fixed Next War) by Chiyu(sp?), that would be great.

I downloaded that mod and took a look at what it contains. The Python changes in Extended should not conflict with BUG. Am I correct in assuming that you are using the Flavorful BUG version? I haven't tried that yet, so I'm less help there.

The thing is that both mods provide new units (at least), and the same two XML files don't mix automatically. You could merge the mods, but there's no way to control which XML files get loaded from within the mod.

To keep from having to move directories around, however, simply enable the "Lock Modified Assets" checkbox whenever you play with the Extended mod. This will keep BUG from interfering with new Extended games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom