BtS without mods

You are kind of right, but you can choose to not hover over red-colored options in the trade-screen (a screen I don't even visit that often). Choosing to not look at the screen for 10 seconds (?) after each new turn until the messages fade away and somehow blend out the red fists in the standings is more difficult.

You won't get very far with that approach on Deity.

I'm getting back into Civ IV BTS after a few years and I'm playing it without any mods. I've forgotten so much that it's like a new game again. But it's good to come back here and see what people have been doing with the mods. I'm definetely gonna try some of them out.

I finally got rid of Windows XP on my old computer, and installed Ubuntu. The first thing I did was see how well Civ IV worked, that's the ultimate test lol. (Which is what I did with CIV 3 back in the day).

But I found out that my usb DVD is just not compatible with ubuntu, that and my wifi was crap. So I installed Windows 7 on it.

You won't get very far with that approach on Deity.

I don't care about Deity, or Immortal.
Seems like I have more fun increasing my personal difficulty by playing with self-imposed "handicaps" like those, or things like no-tech-trading, no vassals or random personalities. Instead of letting the AI cheat more by giving it more boni, and then having to code-dive and squeeze every little loophole.

I don't care about Deity, or Immortal.
Seems like I have more fun increasing my personal difficulty by playing with self-imposed "handicaps" like those, or things like no-tech-trading, no vassals or random personalities. Instead of letting the AI cheat more by giving it more boni, and then having to code-dive and squeeze every little loophole.

What makes you assume that you have more fun?

What makes you assume that you have more fun?

Is that a philosophical question? Or do you want to know if I tried it? I did some shadowing on immortal games from this forum trying to bamboozle the AI with all those tricks - and no, I had no fun doing it, so breaking off those games. I didn't try it with Deity afaik, so yea maybe I'm assuming here, but I don't see why it should become fun for me then.

Is that a philosophical question? Or do you want to know if I tried it? I did some shadowing on immortal games from this forum trying to bamboozle the AI with all those tricks - and no, I had no fun doing it, so breaking off those games. I didn't try it with Deity afaik, so yea maybe I'm assuming here, but I don't see why it should become fun for me then.

Noone said, that you must play Immortal or Deity. You were the one that wrote that he had more fun than me, and I doubted that, and I think I got all right to do so, because you cannot judge how much fun I have when playing Deity, or, how much fun I have when looking at my achievements in the HoF.

Just wanted to correct this.

You were the one that wrote that he had more fun than me
I think he meant that he had more fun playing at lower levels than at the higher ones, not that he had more fun than you. Playing at the highest levels requires a certain style which not everyone enjoys.

I think he meant that he had more fun playing at lower levels than at the higher ones, not that he had more fun than you. Playing at the highest levels requires a certain style which not everyone enjoys.

If so, I misunderstood.

I've never installed a mod - I'm a tech-phobe, and would not want to mess up the game by getting it wrong! So I play BTS, no mods, huts & events on. I do disable time (would not normally last that long, but what a boring way to win or lose) and diplo (really don't see the point). Should I have a go at installing BUG & BULL - and is there a tutorial somewhere for those of us who would not know a byte from a bite?:king:

I've never installed a mod - I'm a tech-phobe, and would not want to mess up the game by getting it wrong! So I play BTS, no mods, huts & events on. I do disable time (would not normally last that long, but what a boring way to win or lose) and diplo (really don't see the point). Should I have a go at installing BUG & BULL - and is there a tutorial somewhere for those of us who would not know a byte from a bite?:king:

It'd probably be the easiest, if you went to the mod-forums and looked for "BAT" . That's a standalone mod that has BUG + BULL + advanced graphics. The installation is super-easy and you get guided through it, so as long as you can read, you'll be fine.

If you only want BUG + BULL, don't forget to save the original CivGamecore.dll in case you'll ever need it again, and install BUG in the custom-assets folder in your documents, that way people can also open your games without having BUG installed as a standalone.

If you don't play forum-games, ignore the last because it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom