• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Bug Report

RI 3.1:
The Best Defense quest fails at Metallurgy, even though its specified "fail-on-discovery" techs are Breech-loaded Rifle, Railroad and Market Relations.
Further, it fails to notice if you've built more than enough Castles well before Metallurgy.
I noticed in the Info Screen that there were three different buildings called "Castle", so I also opened World Builder and gave myself 9 "Asia" Castles and then 9 "Americas" Castles, to no avail.

The Best Defense section in CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml has two different sets of obsoleting techs and doesn't mention Castles at all. Weird.

Hussars don't require horses, and probably should. Also amusing, barbarians still attack with mounted units even in worlds entirely lacking horses. (I don't expect you to be able to fix that. Still. "Where are the barbarians finding these terrifying beasts, and why do they always die after we capture them?")

The quest to build Fusiliers mentions having an extra option for a reward if you're running Vassalage, which no longer exists in RI. I'm not sure if that's just the text or an actual impossible condition.

Being new to Realism Invictus, I'm often looking up things in the 'pedia. I've run across several links that go to the wrong thing, e.g., Raider (the unit) instead of Raider (the promotion). Occasionally the wrong historical information as well, although I can't recall a specific example of that right now.

Also, why is Amber a water resource? Fossilized tree sap has approximately the same density as any other mineral. It doesn't float. It's found in places you'd expect to find fossils, especially with fossilized trees. Perhaps the creator got it mixed up with Ambergris? This bugs me every time I see Amber along my coasts.

RI 3.1:
The Best Defense quest fails at Metallurgy, even though its specified "fail-on-discovery" techs are Breech-loaded Rifle, Railroad and Market Relations.
Further, it fails to notice if you've built more than enough Castles well before Metallurgy.
I noticed in the Info Screen that there were three different buildings called "Castle", so I also opened World Builder and gave myself 9 "Asia" Castles and then 9 "Americas" Castles, to no avail.

The Best Defense section in CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml has two different sets of obsoleting techs and doesn't mention Castles at all. Weird.
Fixed! Thanks!

Hussars don't require horses, and probably should. Also amusing, barbarians still attack with mounted units even in worlds entirely lacking horses. (I don't expect you to be able to fix that. Still. "Where are the barbarians finding these terrifying beasts, and why do they always die after we capture them?")
This seems to me a topic like "development". http://www.realism-invictus.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=bc70b13ce6a9ebf1a623d1490e44bcbc

The quest to build Fusiliers mentions having an extra option for a reward if you're running Vassalage, which no longer exists in RI. I'm not sure if that's just the text or an actual impossible condition.
Fixed! Thanks.

Being new to Realism Invictus, I'm often looking up things in the 'pedia. I've run across several links that go to the wrong thing, e.g., Raider (the unit) instead of Raider (the promotion). Occasionally the wrong historical information as well, although I can't recall a specific example of that right now.
Could you tell me precisely what were the errors you found in civilopedia?

RI 3.1:

Thanks, this one is fixed.

This is done intentionally to represent the fact that by the time you reach that tech, even if your territory doesn't have horses naturally, you could have obtained and bred them - what happened to the Americas.

Fixed that.

Yes, unfortunately that is how it works. The only thing we can do is locate such names and try to rename one of the entities to something different.

Also, why is Amber a water resource? Fossilized tree sap has approximately the same density as any other mineral. It doesn't float. It's found in places you'd expect to find fossils, especially with fossilized trees. Perhaps the creator got it mixed up with Ambergris? This bugs me every time I see Amber along my coasts.

You, sir, seem to have very little experience with amber. :)

Firstly, amber's density is very close to that of water, and thus while it is still able to sink, it does so very slowly, and can easily be carried to surface from an underwater deposit during even minor storms. I have witnessed that myself in Lithuania, as people pour to the shore the morning after a stormy night to collect amber that was washed ashore.

Secondly, that's actually how most amber in the world is obtained. Until the arrival of industrial mining, that was basically the only way people got amber - from sea. Current estimates still put seaborne amber (predominantly Baltic) as accounting for about 90% of world amber production.

Therefore, the resource is exactly meant to be amber, and it is represented fairly accurately. It could have been equally justified if we placed it on coastal land tiles, but there is no easy way in XML to ensure that.

A question - not to start a new thread... do you have any threads/references on CPU speed...

I have a Q9550 and World Map around AD 0, is already at 1 min per turn... so this may be the tipping point to make me buy an upgrade... which will most likely be 3570k, so any idea of the speedup?

Going by Super PI single threaded bench, it should be about 3x, ie from 1 min to about 20 sec per turn, which is very worthwile... but is it realistic? So to ask here whether anyone has any experience with it, and what is the expectation on latest and greatest hardware ...

AD - 0 and 20 or so civs in contact/10 cities or so...

A question - not to start a new thread... do you have any threads/references on CPU speed...

I have a Q9550 and World Map around AD 0, is already at 1 min per turn... so this may be the tipping point to make me buy an upgrade... which will most likely be 3570k, so any idea of the speedup?

Going by Super PI single threaded bench, it should be about 3x, ie from 1 min to about 20 sec per turn, which is very worthwile... but is it realistic? So to ask here whether anyone has any experience with it, and what is the expectation on latest and greatest hardware ...

AD - 0 and 20 or so civs in contact/10 cities or so...
Speaking from my experience. To play our mod is interesting that you have a 64bit system and a good amount of memory ram (4 or more) if want to play a large map. On smaller maps it makes no difference. Regarding the speed seems that Civ4 has some limitations, like not using multicore. You managed some progress (but not linear), if you purchase a computer with a higher clock on each core - a good video card helps too. Play with scripts is more fast.

Thanks - believe it or not Civ IV (edit, and that is after playing it since it came out :D ) may be the final nod for me to finally upgrade to 64 bit and latest CPU :) ... I will let you know how it goes, but as it is, still on XP with 3gb switch, I am doing mostly OK, had one game with another mod where I run out of memory around AD1700, but with this mod I am not running into this wall as 1 min per turn is just too much... up to 20s-30 sec is max I can tolerate as a playable game for a long time...

Thanks - believe it or not Civ IV (edit, and that is after playing it since it came out :D ) may be the final nod for me to finally upgrade to 64 bit and latest CPU :) ... I will let you know how it goes, but as it is, still on XP with 3gb switch, I am doing mostly OK, had one game with another mod where I run out of memory around AD1700, but with this mod I am not running into this wall as 1 min per turn is just too much... up to 20s-30 sec is max I can tolerate as a playable game for a long time...

Play with scripts and you can have few seconds per turn.

Could you tell me precisely what were the errors you found in civilopedia?

I'll make a note every time I find something like this in the future. The only one I was able to find again with a short search was the link in the Primitives (unit) special ability list: starts with Raider, which should link to the promotion, not the barbarian unit.

You, sir, seem to have very little experience with amber. :)

Firstly, amber's density is very close to that of water, and thus while it is still able to sink, it does so very slowly, and can easily be carried to surface from an underwater deposit during even minor storms. I have witnessed that myself in Lithuania, as people pour to the shore the morning after a stormy night to collect amber that was washed ashore.

Secondly, that's actually how most amber in the world is obtained. Until the arrival of industrial mining, that was basically the only way people got amber - from sea. Current estimates still put seaborne amber (predominantly Baltic) as accounting for about 90% of world amber production.

Therefore, the resource is exactly meant to be amber, and it is represented fairly accurately. It could have been equally justified if we placed it on coastal land tiles, but there is no easy way in XML to ensure that.

Huh. Learn something new every day. My experience with amber is almost entirely with samples with fossil insects in them. In North America (where I'm from), almost all amber with fossil insects in them is mined in Dominica. The amber from there is particularly transparent, and has an unusual number of trapped insects, leaves, pollen, etc. Once I saw one with a tree frog in it. I've also seen amber from coal mines. The pieces of amber I've handled are all fairly dense. Maybe this is a trait that varies depending on the composition of the amber and how much pressure it has experienced? That would explain why amber doesn't wash up on the shore anywhere else in the world.

Moving on: the interstate highways event happened to my empire well before I could build highways (or even railroads). It should probably have the Combustion Engine technology as a prerequisite.

I'll make a note every time I find something like this in the future. The only one I was able to find again with a short search was the link in the Primitives (unit) special ability list: starts with Raider, which should link to the promotion, not the barbarian unit.
Thanks I'm looking for this kind of mistakes.

Huh. Learn something new every day. My experience with amber is almost entirely with samples with fossil insects in them. In North America (where I'm from), almost all amber with fossil insects in them is mined in Dominica. The amber from there is particularly transparent, and has an unusual number of trapped insects, leaves, pollen, etc. Once I saw one with a tree frog in it. I've also seen amber from coal mines. The pieces of amber I've handled are all fairly dense. Maybe this is a trait that varies depending on the composition of the amber and how much pressure it has experienced? That would explain why amber doesn't wash up on the shore anywhere else in the world.
I even had this doubt when you posted. My knowledge about amber was also about of this type in mines. Take a look: http://www.realgems.org/list_of_gemstones/amber_info.html
We made ​​some adjustments for the next version.

hello RI team, i was having troubles with svn 3847. after i installed it the game told me that i don't meet the minimun req to run the game and i had to play with low graphs. Before that i could play on high in RI 3.1 world maps. And i wated to know that if i update the rep to 3850 i could use the 3847 save. thanks.

Keep the good work :goodjob:

This message is possibly the result of greater use of memory/use of your computer. This revision didn't change anything but the screen itself, so I suggest you restart your computer to back to normal memory levels.

I think if you update it you will not be able to use. There were changes in the dll and xml.

What exactly does that mean? I would be delighted if there is a post/guide you could point me to.

(forum search didnt bring anything useful, just map scripts, also sorry for abusing the bug thread with my question)

PS:
Also found something potentially useful to contribute: I was amazed to find, that in one way Realism Invictus is actually less realistic then Rise of Mankind mod (poor pun intended) and that is with regard to Aluminum.

Instead of mineable Aluminum you could implement Bauxite ore that needs a Aluminum Factory to be refined to the proper useable metal, this factory should also require power (or alternatively coal?) and maybe salt resource (sodium hydroxite, (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_process ) yes it is a stretch, but it is a salt ;) ) to function.

What exactly does that mean? I would be delighted if there is a post/guide you could point me to.

(forum search didnt bring anything useful, just map scripts, also sorry for abusing the bug thread with my question)
If you play with script the turn will be more fast than a scenario.

PS:
Also found something potentially useful to contribute: I was amazed to find, that in one way Realism Invictus is actually less realistic then Rise of Mankind mod (poor pun intended) and that is with regard to Aluminum.

Instead of mineable Aluminum you could implement Bauxite ore that needs a Aluminum Factory to be refined to the proper useable metal, this factory should also require power (or alternatively coal?) and maybe salt resource (sodium hydroxite, (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_process ) yes it is a stretch, but it is a salt ;) ) to function.

This will be on our list of discussion when we working with resources again. For the moment/next version no change. Thanks for suggestion!

I've been saving some great generals to build Doctrines that don't expire, and I've just finished researching Rifled Artillery, but I can't build Doctrine Artillery Schools. Nobody else built it, according to the list of wonders, and from espionage I'm certain no other empire has reached Rifled Artillery. My GGs can build a couple of earlier Doctrines (that will eventually expire), just not this one. I've moved them around to various cities in the hopes that all it needed was a particular resource or building, but no luck.

I've also been noting errors in the 'pedia as I run across them. All the Doctrines and their associated buildings have a strategy section which appears to have been copied from West Point. The popup hint for courthouses, and the strategy section in the 'pedia, both claim courthouses generate espionage points. As far as I can tell, in RI they no longer generate espionage.

The 'pedia could use some extra information in the religions articles. They're almost blank right now, and there's currently no single page where you can find out what the unique units, wonders, and resource bonuses are for any given religion. The 'pedia could also use pages on each of the path types. Currently any mention of transportation links to a page describing the old system. In particular, it would be nice to be able to find out which improvements will get bonuses from having a railroad.

This message is possibly the result of greater use of memory/use of your computer. This revision didn't change anything but the screen itself, so I suggest you restart your computer to back to normal memory levels.

I think if you update it you will not be able to use. There were changes in the dll and xml.

1- i restarted the pc and the message keeps showing any time that i use the game.
That it's very annoying and i don't know what to do.

2- i updated and could play my old save luckily.

thanks. keep the good work :goodjob:

Found the following inconsistency in build 3886 regarding civics and their related concepts:

Absolute Monarchy and Constitutional Monarchy can be active at the same time which makes no sense both logical and balance wise.

Problem is that Absolute Monarchy only requires Monarchy to be active which makes it compatible with all legal civics including Representation which already makes no sense and even less with Constitutional Monarchy implemented or Social Equality which also makes no sense.

I suggest adding Civil Service to the Absolute Monarchy prerequisite civics which would not only preclude the other legal options but also make sense since you need a bureaucracy to run a country as an "absolute" monarch.

It would even more sense to couple it with Central Bureaucracy explicitly but since that is technically a building and I am not sure that there is a check for active buildings as prerequisites that might not work properly.

edit: update

On a Huge map the requirement for the Classic Literature Quest is building 16 (!) libraries before renaissance. Iirc that is pretty much twice as high as normal on that map size. Now I am not sure that is intended but if it isnt, it can probably be fixed by adding a division by 2 or so in the CvRandomEventsInterface.py

Hi, I don't know if it's been posted before but I have noticed a small visual bug on the SVN Revision 3910.

Spoiler :
On the Reef terrain feature the waves splashing against the reef shows up in the black undiscovered parts of the map... bit of a givaway when knowing where to sail to find foreign lands.

Hope this helps.

scripts? is there a thread on the specifics... While I would not want to kill the AI and make them totally dumb, if there are some relatively easy speedup's I'd be all over it.

btw - I have upgraded my PC to 2500k @ 4.28 ghz, 8 GB ram, SSD, Win 7 64bit which are I guess the spec that matter, and here are some of the results.

It is about twice as fast as my old Q9550 @2.83 ghz, 30 sec turn times around AD0, but being in AD 1500 the turns are between 1 min 30 sec and 2 min, dependable what is going on. Whole world is visible and besides around 10 or so eliminated civs there are another 40 or so alive. Sum total we would need about 100ghz single threaded processor with the same IPC to get a really fast game out of this one.

Overall, the best Civ game yet for me... I just wish Sid & co gave you to release this as Civ V and made it multithreaded ;) ... but the next best thing would be - where can I read about adjusting the scripts and speeding it up a bit?

Top Bottom