Bug Report

Similarly the AI seems to looove targetting clock towers for sabotage with spies despite it being a questionable use of esp points. Presumably there's a similar logic check there

Hey all, sorry for the likely annoying question --

I'm deep into a game and hitting a crash wall that looks like I'm gonna have to abandon it, and unfortunately this seems to be the norm for most of my games. Obv I'm only writing this question in the first place because I absolutely adore RI.

I'm running the game on a modern gaming computer. Most of the crashes are the traditional memory allocation error, but routinely the crashes either have a different error message or don't throw an error message at all.

In the manual there's the suggestion that a 64 bit OS shouldn't run into the memory allocation crash, but I seem to get them pretty quickly, even before the game size is the size the manual suggests 34 bit machines will start having issues with.

I seem to recall at some point ages ago I was alerted that Civ would need to run in compatibility mode on modern machines, but I couldn't find any evidence that I'm actually running it in compatibility mode (I figured maybe if I was, it was running in a way that would cause the game to be treated as if it were on a 34 bit machine).

Is there a common mistake folks make that would allow for the memory crashes on a modern machine? Additionally, would someone be able to point me towards any sort of logs that might be published on crashes so that I can see if any of the crashes are more traditional Civ crashes wherein the game is just running into an issue with a unit stack or something?

Thanks for any help!

Hey all, sorry for the likely annoying question --

I'm deep into a game and hitting a crash wall that looks like I'm gonna have to abandon it, and unfortunately this seems to be the norm for most of my games. Obv I'm only writing this question in the first place because I absolutely adore RI.

I'm running the game on a modern gaming computer. Most of the crashes are the traditional memory allocation error, but routinely the crashes either have a different error message or don't throw an error message at all.

In the manual there's the suggestion that a 64 bit OS shouldn't run into the memory allocation crash, but I seem to get them pretty quickly, even before the game size is the size the manual suggests 34 bit machines will start having issues with.

I seem to recall at some point ages ago I was alerted that Civ would need to run in compatibility mode on modern machines, but I couldn't find any evidence that I'm actually running it in compatibility mode (I figured maybe if I was, it was running in a way that would cause the game to be treated as if it were on a 34 bit machine).

Is there a common mistake folks make that would allow for the memory crashes on a modern machine? Additionally, would someone be able to point me towards any sort of logs that might be published on crashes so that I can see if any of the crashes are more traditional Civ crashes wherein the game is just running into an issue with a unit stack or something?

Thanks for any help!

When does the crash happen? Which era? Is it repeatable? I've found and probably fixed a bug which was causing a CTD in modern era, caused by improvement bombardment IIRC.

When does the crash happen? Which era? Is it repeatable? I've found and probably fixed a bug which was causing a CTD in modern era, caused by improvement bombardment IIRC.
Thanks so much for the reply! Industrial Era. Apologies if I didn't include enough info -- let me know if anything in particular would be helpful. Sorry for what I'm sure is a dumb question, but what's CTD? Is there a normal approach for tracking these down and fixing these? I don't mind regularly tracking down and fixing errors if it that's the price for RI!

As for repeatability -- I believe "mostly" would be the answer (unfortunately). It usually crashes every time on the current turn but then every few times I can make it one more turn. I think the error generally a windows error about video memory allocation.

Is it possible (or likely) my game is using the GPU to process graphics rather than the CPU?

Some more info: I believe I started with 20 teams, and allowed Barbs to form new civs, as well as some sort of very large map (don't recall exactly how big), so it's a large game. Is it generally recommended to use much simpler settings?

Thanks so much for the reply! Industrial Era. Apologies if I didn't include enough info -- let me know if anything in particular would be helpful. Sorry for what I'm sure is a dumb question, but what's CTD? Is there a normal approach for tracking these down and fixing these? I don't mind regularly tracking down and fixing errors if it that's the price for RI!

As for repeatability -- I believe "mostly" would be the answer (unfortunately). It usually crashes every time on the current turn but then every few times I can make it one more turn. I think the error generally a windows error about video memory allocation.

Is it possible (or likely) my game is using the GPU to process graphics rather than the CPU?

Some more info: I believe I started with 20 teams, and allowed Barbs to form new civs, as well as some sort of very large map (don't recall exactly how big), so it's a large game. Is it generally recommended to use much simpler settings?

CTD stands for Crash To Desktop. When a game crashes and you're back to your windows desktop. Unfortunately it's not really easy or straightforward to fix this kind of bugs. Logs in RI are just the default BTS ones and I don't think they might be very useful. If you get a window about a MAF (memory allocation failure), there's probably nothing you can do. You can try lowering your graphics settings, but in the end there's no other way than playing smaller maps or fewer civs.

A little "slip" in the Civilopedia I think.

Place: Buildings -> Walls; Option -> Replaced by SmokeSignals (Dryer). In the History section, the text writes, that the Apache replaces the Smokehouse with the Smoke signals, which provides additional city defense.... Shouldn't Smokehouse be Walls?

Running into a bug where I cannot build Paramilitary units. I select that to start with, and for one turn it shows that I'm producing that, but then after I end the turn it switches to IFV (with the hammers from that first turn going to the IFV). I'm attaching my save file, as I feel like that's the simplest thing to do. This happens in every city I've tried. I don't know if this happens in every game, as I don't think I've bothered with irregulars at this point in the game until now.

Attachments

• RI Elissa.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
I've been playing a game with the latest complete download, and I noticed that some of my barracks are not giving bonuses for new swordsmen being built. Skirmishers seem to promote okay, but the swordsmen aren't getting any experience. Seems to be happening with multiple cities.

I've been playing a game with the latest complete download, and I noticed that some of my barracks are not giving bonuses for new swordsmen being built. Skirmishers seem to promote okay, but the swordsmen aren't getting any experience. Seems to be happening with multiple cities.
Not enough info for me to investigate.
Looks like vassal civilizations have their flag reverted to the default.
Sorta. They revert to a flag that's very generic and made specifically for the vassal occasion.

Not enough info for me to investigate.
Have at it. There's a swordsman being built right now. It's been a while so I don't remember all the cities I tried to build swordsmen but when skirmishers were built, they got bonuses from barracks. Not the swordsmen.

Attachments

• Bug Hunter AD-0321.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Have at it. There's a swordsman being built right now. It's been a while so I don't remember all the cities I tried to build swordsmen but when skirmishers were built, they got bonuses from barracks. Not the swordsmen.
Here are the first four swordsmen I built in this save game (I built more, just didn't take any more screenshots); all seem to have the proper amount of experience: https://imgur.com/a/xtoJ2Io

(of course this save did point out that I stupidly forgot to enable African swordsman unit style, the assets for which are actually there)

Here are the first four swordsmen I built in this save game (I built more, just didn't take any more screenshots); all seem to have the proper amount of experience: https://imgur.com/a/xtoJ2Io

(of course this save did point out that I stupidly forgot to enable African swordsman unit style, the assets for which are actually there)

Thank you for checking. I hope I didn't stupidly do something like build swordsmen in cities without barracks, but I'm usually very careful about that. I will double check things by testing the save file again. The problem seemed to occur during one gaming session, and if it doesn't persist, then I have no idea what to say. I haven't played that particular game since I noticed the bug.

But at least you did get something out of the bug report. A random discovery is better than none at all, and at least I don't feel like I was totally wasting your time. :)

Have a "waiting on other civs" loop here, in mid-late industrial gigantic earth map.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1857-January.CivBeyondSwordSave
    7.3 MB · Views: 1
SVN 5387:

I'm getting missing interface buttons for (at least) Armenian Composite Bowmen (pink square where button should be) and possibly others as well.

Looks like it was last modified in 5385 but I don't think any files are missing (admittedly my Turtle SVN skills are pretty limited).

Possibly related, I'm crashing pretty much always (instead of intermittently) when entering WorldBuilder.

Update: I really really don't grok SVNs --

I see the button art file listed in the 5385 manifest, but it doesn't get added when I update to that revision (or to 5387). I suspect that several of the other files are missing as well. When I click on various functions like "Compare with working copy" it claims nothing is wrong or missing (other than my civ config file where I upped all of the font sizes). I've temporarily (?) fixed this by manually coping the art file from 5385 into the correct local directory (WB still crashes, but I don't know if that's new or (other) button related).

Last edited:
Have a "waiting on other civs" loop here, in mid-late industrial gigantic earth map.
(If this isn't fixed yet)
The most probable cause is a random AI unit somewhere in the map. Delete that unit.

The hassle is trying to find that unit, which can take quite some time. I suggest to do some sort of a filtering method:
First, enter worldmapeditor on menu to destroy all units per civ at time, to try and figure out whose unit/s is/are causing the bug.
Once you found out, delete all units per type of that civ, until you can narrow it down to that specific unit causing the bug, then delete it.

(If this isn't fixed yet)
The most probable cause is a random AI unit somewhere in the map. Delete that unit.

The hassle is trying to find that unit, which can take quite some time. I suggest to do some sort of a filtering method:
First, enter worldmapeditor on menu to destroy all units per civ at time, to try and figure out whose unit/s is/are causing the bug.
Once you found out, delete all units per type of that civ, until you can narrow it down to that specific unit causing the bug, then delete it.
IME you can usually narrow it down a bit by using the error logs and seeing which civ the turn got stuck on, and from there you can do the rest of those steps. Posted here more since (i'd guess) it's probably some AI air loop causing it and it could help stability, though I should probably generate error logs and post the specific unitid myself to really help with that lol

IME you can usually narrow it down a bit by using the error logs and seeing which civ the turn got stuck on, and from there you can do the rest of those steps.

True. Errorlogging often gives you a more-or-less good idea of which nation(s), that may be the cause of a loop/ctd (those nations, whose turns are terminated in the log are probably "without any fault").

Spoiler Errorlogging :

Civ4ScreenShot0177.JPG

errorlog.jpg

This is how I found out in my ongoing game, that a peace treaty between two AI nations was probably the cause of a loop.

Just don't look into this file unless you have an error, you can't find, since it gives you too much information about the AIs.

Last edited:
SVN 5387:

I'm getting missing interface buttons for (at least) Armenian Composite Bowmen (pink square where button should be) and possibly others as well.

Looks like it was last modified in 5385 but I don't think any files are missing (admittedly my Turtle SVN skills are pretty limited).

Possibly related, I'm crashing pretty much always (instead of intermittently) when entering WorldBuilder.

Update: I really really don't grok SVNs --

I see the button art file listed in the 5385 manifest, but it doesn't get added when I update to that revision (or to 5387). I suspect that several of the other files are missing as well. When I click on various functions like "Compare with working copy" it claims nothing is wrong or missing (other than my civ config file where I upped all of the font sizes). I've temporarily (?) fixed this by manually coping the art file from 5385 into the correct local directory (WB still crashes, but I don't know if that's new or (other) button related).
Nah mate, that's you and your SVN skills I reckon :)

1713081563074.png

You probably didn't update the art folder. Just update the whole /Realism folder in one go, you're definitely missing stuff.

Top Bottom